Old 01-04-2006, 05:15 PM   #1  
Heather/Caterpillar

Default I need support....

Hi
I need some support right now, I have been sticking religiously to the diet thing, monitoring my calories on fitday and never going over 1500, yet I went to get weighed yesterday and I put on like 4lbs....so I figured maybe the scales were off. I got my boyfriend to get on the same scales and he weighed lighter than normal, then we went round the store and he weighed himself again and he was 4lbs heavier!!! So today I went to a different store and weighed myself again, now this one says I weigh 8lbs heavier! I just don't know what to put down...I'm in a few challenges and I'm not sure what to put down in the challenge. I've been sticking to it religiously, exercising and planning my food. I've even been juicing fruit and filling up bottles to carry round all day in case I get peckish....can anyone suggest any ideas...I'm hoping the scales are all wrong and I am thinner...my clothes feel looser though!
Heather
Heva2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #2  

Try not to let it worry you. This comes from the lady who had a three month plateau, when she was doing everything right.

The only thing that strikes me is the fruit juice. Are you counting this into your calories? The only reasons I ask is that juice, whether bought or home made, can be a source of hidden sugars. Better to eat your fruit than to juice it, and stick to water (or if you really hate water sugar free squash)

As you up your exercise a bit (with the fab dvd's I am going to lend you - have you looked at your private messages yet missus??) the weight will start whizzing down.

I'm only around the corner from you so if you ever want an exercise buddy, just holler!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #3  
Heather/Caterpillar

Yeah, I count it in my calories. I only juice it because my body has a hard time digesting some of the skin and fibres in juice so when I'm out it is easier to carry some juice around than risk tummy aches!!! I eat fruit at home, I have a serious mandarin addiction...the fresh not the tinned kind. I also tend to have the juice instead of a meal if I'm not too hungry or I'm too busy to prepare something. My doctor thinks that there is a possiblity that I don't get enough calories sometimes too if such a thing is possible and my body is in starvation mode so I'm trying to up my calorie intake but with good stuff instead of crisps and fatty things! It sounds so stupid for a fat person to say but I just never get hungry, I could honestly stop eating now and not feel hungry but I know that isn't the way to stay healthy. I think the main problem in the past has been eating the wrong stuff, like just having a bar of chocolate all day and thinking it is ok because that would be all the calories I am taking in. I'm aiming now to get 1500-2000 calories per day, doing a work out dvd at night and hopefully going to a gym and swimming...I love swimming but don't really have anyone to 'make' me go! My bf can't swim but he is taking lessons this month.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:51 PM   #4  

Smile

Hi Heather,
I'm new here today so wanted to say Hi and give you some support.
First, when you weigh yourself do it on the same scale...don't change them because as you see different scales will give you different readings.
You may also want to look into caloric cycling..not just keeping your calories low that will keep your metabalism working smoothly and is one good way to avoid a plateau.
It's not a stupid thing for a fat person to say, I found that i didn't eat much at all before getting serious about exercising and needed to up my calories in order to lose weight!
I found that cycling calories, and carbs are helping me so far. You may want to look into that.
Good luck to you.
VQ
VisionQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:56 PM   #5  

Toss the scale, or only weigh in like once a week. I've found that if I don't lose weight like I want, it throws me through a loop. I start feeling like all my work is worthless, then start thinking about how much I'd love a snickers....

Also, I think we only should eat when we're hungry. If you don't get hungry often, perhaps your body doesn't need as much food as other people. I know this is the boat I'm in. I naturally have a slow metabolism. Always have. The only way I stayed skinned before pregnancy with my first child was that I ate like a bird. Not intentionally, just that I wasn't hungry very often.

I'm not hungry often now. I'm sure that's why it's so easy to put on all this weight, because I'm trying to eat like everyone else.
LivingWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #6  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

You may want to consider getting a home scale. That way you can always weigh yourself on the same one (as previously suggested). And try only weighing once a week at the same time of day wearing the same clothes (or none).

Other than that you got great suggestions already!
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:31 AM   #7  
One pound at a time...

Heva2015,

I agree with Shannon and VQ. You should only weigh yourself on the same scale, as all scales are different, and all will contain a margin of error. A home scale is a good idea, and then you can weigh yourself at the same time every week. As well, if you are excercising, you may very well be building up muscle, instead of fat. Another thing you can do to monitor your progress is to measure yourself. The inches lost will tell you how your body is reacting. Plateaus unfortunately happen to the best of us, you just need to stick with it and push through, the weight will come off. Hang in there!
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:39 AM   #8  
Sick of Fat

S/C/G: 240/183/150

I too agree with what everyone else has said. Carol put in what I was going to say that no one else did yet! I weigh and measure. Granted I do weigh a lot more than measure!! I've been measuring once a month and I weigh once a week. I've only lost 12 pounds but I've also lost a couple inches off my waist, arms, and other areas! It's not all in the numbers on the scale!

If you feel discouraged because the number on the scale isn't moving, try to think of things that exercising and eating right is improving! Having more energy, feeling your pants become a little looser, and stuff like that

I do recommend buying a scale for home like everyone else did. You never know if those scales are at zero if they're digital unless you can fool around with them
sabriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:37 PM   #9  
Heather/Caterpillar

Default Yes!

Hi
I went to the same scales I normally use today, taking everyone's advice. Since 2nd Jan (when I started) I have lost 4 lbs!!! I know I should wait a week but I was so curious!!! I'm not going to add my weight to the challenges I'm on until the 9th but just wanted to share!!!
Old 01-05-2006, 06:31 PM   #10  

Heva: Wooooohoo on the lost. I always recommend using the same scale (as long as it works). And remember, were women, there are always lil hormonal crazy moments with us, and if your working out, that definatly has an effect on the scale or if you consumed too much salt the day before. Alot of things can make it go crazy. My scale changed the weight 4 times this morning before it stayed the same for 3 tries. Annoying.
Jenniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:41 PM   #11  
Tonita

Hi Heva,
I agree with everyone who says to weigh yourself once a week. I read somewhere that it's best to weigh yourself on Mondays on your own home scale and not on the weekend because the lost weight may encourage you to go off the wagon and splurge on treats. If your clothes feel looser, that's a great sign! Please keep in mind that the looseness of your clothes and not the scale are your signs of progress in your weight loss journey. If your weight is a little bit up, that may mean that you are making a great effort in filling up on more liquids(8 glasses of water) too each day.

Keep going! You are on the right track!
Good luck!

Tonita from Whitby, Canada
Tonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #12  
Opulent

Are you constipated?

Where are you in your cycle?

Are you eating plenty of beans, lentils and the like? (I ask because I know you're veg*n and the protein and fiber really help with weight loss etc.).
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:41 PM   #13  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Hi Yogini.....hadn't seen you post in a while!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote