Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Needing motivational support

ok I am into day 2 got up this morning and walked one mile to "Walk Away the Pounds" feel darn good, now, I just need someone to help me stay motivated, so far my son ( who is 7) hasn't been able to motivate me to get healthy, ( and you think I should want to be healthier for his sake, I am all he has...) my horses haven't been able to keep me motivated, ( and I don't want to be the burden on their backs I have been for the past 10 years or more). So what am I to do? PLEASE, any suggestions welcomed! I NEED the support!
luckyducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:30 PM   #2  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Smile Well, you're on the right track!

You do want to change, as evidenced by you joining 3FC and walking. If you are a single mom, you are probably very busy and feel guilty for taking the time to exercise?? I know that's how I used to feel. But now that I have been walking regularly for a couple of months, I see how much better I feel, and how much calmer and more patient I am with my children. My walking gives me time to think, gives me time for me, and improves my health and my weight. What is there to feel guilty about?

Maybe set a goal - I set a goal of doing a 10K in March or April and decided to train for it. I also realized I wanted to work on my self-esteem, and it wasn't going to happen if I didn't take care of my body. If you really want to be there for your son - and I know you do - then give him the best you that you can! A healthy, happy you.

Hugs!!

You can do it!
icmethinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

What is it you're finding it difficult to stick with? The exercise? Eating better? Everything?

I hear people on 3fc say all the time that it's not about motivation, it's about commitment, and I think there's something to that.

As for me, things clicked when I realized that what I wanted in the long run (a healthier me) was worth what I would have to sacrifice in the short run (e.g, eating fritos, not exercising). I've come to find out that it usually isn't really much of a sacrifice, as the benefits of being healthier are enormous!

There's another thread on this topic here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71501

Last edited by Heather; 01-03-2006 at 05:43 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:45 AM   #4  

What wyllenn said is right. You can't rely on other people to motivate you. It has to come from within you. And it's not really about motivation. I'm not motivated to go to the gym after a full day at work and an hour and a half on public transport. No siree, not motivated at all. Do I still go to the gym - yes I do. Because it's a committment, and I know my fat inner spoilt brat has to do it, if she is ever going to be a skinny brat! (not that skinny is the motivation here, just not being a heart attack waiting to happen)

I agree with setting a goal, like doing a 10k, and perhaps finding some other likeminded people in real life who you can share the burden with! My local gym is quite cheap, community based and you don't have to take out a membership and they offer free child care, so perhaps look for something like that if you start to grow out of the exercise tapes.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:35 AM   #5  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

It may seem a bit on the edge but , what I say is
Do you want to see your son grow up and have children of his own.
I dont know the weight your at but, living longer and healther is about the best thing I can say.
And it all comes down to you making yourself get up head out and move that body. No one else is ever going to be able to get you to do something you dont want to do. But you can make yourself do something you have to do. Dont waste any more time, time goes by to quick before you know it your son will be all grown up dont you want to be there by his side watching him change into a wonderful young man?
Make that commitment to live a better more healthy life and give yourself the best gift anyone could ever give.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:53 AM   #6  
Whip It Good

Ducky -

Off the top of my head I would recommend seeing a doctor for a depression screening. Apart from anything discovered there, I would have to say that what you have to understand is that this is 100% up to you. No one can make you do it. You can not do it for your son. You must do it for you.

What I would recommend you try doing is sitting down with pen and paper and making a list for yourself - I call it the "what's in it for me?" list. List everything you would get if you stayed committed to getting healthy. You would get to see your son grow up, be there to take pictures on prom night and on graduation... for his wedding and subsequent gandbabies... this is good stuff, it is not enough to be around - but you likely want to be healthy enough to enjoy these events.

Truth is - you have to find a way to love and embrace your body the way it is today. If you hate yourself you will not treat yourself right. Your body does many wonderful things for you every day - why not make that list too... it lets you type and drive and walk and dance and sing and hug your baby! This is good stuff...

Be kind to yourself, Ducky. Your body hears everything you say.

The ball is in your court, Girlfriend... run with it. Make it so.
DaisyBug08004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:12 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I subscribe to these threads ...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71312
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71397
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71269
.... and one for my age group and I read lots of others. I just feel as if I can fill my head with health and fitness ... and then I'll just get at it. Usually it works.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote