Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-03-2006, 03:03 PM   #1  

Height: 5"4

Red face I have a confession to make

I have to confess to you guys how I actually found this board. I was looking for a message board for people that had just recently had weight loss surgery. I was seriously thinking about starting the process to do it. But.....after reading here for hours, and seeing how so many of you did this naturally, without anything but hard work, I WON'T think of surgery.
Please don't misunderstand, I'm not knocking anyone who goes that route, I understand that it is not the easy way. It's just not for me. I've read how you can stretch the stomach right back out after a couple of years. I need to learn how to fix the problem (why I overeat).

I just wanted to say thank you all and I'm looking forward to learning and loosing right along side you ladies!!!
cinnamonspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:23 PM   #2  
At 5:00

S/C/G: 207/195/120

Height: 5'3''

That's great! I think that doing it the natural is not only cheaper, but it's also much more rewarding. You learn from it and learn how to continue being healthy for your entire life. Good luck to you.
wednesdaymorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:27 PM   #3  

Yes, and with or without surgery, it all boils down to eating less and exercising more. Keep at it and you will reach 130#; it is just a matter of when.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 01/07/10~ 142/136/132

Good for you going the natural route! welcome aboard the train to a new you!!Good Luck!
Wendy
Wide in Winnipeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #5  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Woohoo! Welcome.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:53 PM   #6  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

Wow. That's great to hear. You can definitely do it and we are all here for you.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:05 PM   #7  

I'm so happy you found us cinnamon. Welcome. Like you I do not want to knock anyone who has chose to have surgery. I think you have to do what works for you. Everyone is different. It doesnt make it wrong just different.

However, having surgery alone does not change who you are. You still have to be willing to make the same commitment that is required without surgery. If you are unwilling to change your eating and exercise habits then nothing has really changed other than the number on the scale when you step on it. Even that will not last long without making the necessary life changes.

Fine example, Carnie Wilson. I saw her on Good morning America one morning. She was in a cooking segment. I thought "great she will have some really good low fat recipes". WRONG!!! She made mac and cheese. It had so much cheese and I believe cream!! Tons of cheese. Talk about hardened arteries in a pan!!! I was really surprised. Granted this is only 1 recipe. I just thought with all of the press coverage she received with her weight loss she would show that she is eating better than that. Unfortunately being a celebrity she is also an example to others in her same place. Now dont get me wrong. I do feel that part of success is not depriving yourself of things you like and being accountable for what you put in your mouth. I do not hold her responsible for every person out there trying to lose weight. But she does have people like us watching her. If we could contine to eat like that we would not be where we are today. I think you made a really good choice coming here and I wish you all the luck in the world. You will find a lot of support here. Where else can you go and have everyone understand exactly what your going through.

Take care and stay strong.

Val
val40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:37 PM   #8  

Thumbs up Welcome!!

WELCOME!!! I am new to this site also and I must say it has been great to have support and motivation from people going through the same situation as you. I also was thinking about having that procedure done, but I figure if I was going to change my life after that, why not change my life and way of living now and lose the weight the natural way. Not to knock anyone that had it done, but I feel I owe it to myself to try the natural way, unless my life was at an extreme risk. So, good luck to you. I know you will do GREAT!!!
DeterminedMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:36 AM   #9  

welcome cinnamon. we all want an instant solution but as others have said even if you have the surgery you still have to make lifestyle changes

it;s a life long thing

good luck and welcome
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:07 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 271/249/135

welcome, though unlike many I am unable to credit myself or the board for not going the weight surgery route. Intead I'd like to honor my ex-bf, who refused to let me have the surgery.... who believes that I can, and everyone here who is helping and supporting me in doing just that - upkeeping my goals, whatever they might be... It's not easy, but seeing so many people who've done it and are still here encouraging others, I've become a believer that anything is possible....

Good luck and welcome, were are here to help
CBETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:10 AM   #11  
Going goal.

S/C/G: 316/ticker/140

Height: 5'6" & 3/4"

Welcome here! You will get a lot of support for your journey. I'm glad you decided to try it this way (looks like I started a bit heavier than you but we have the same goal) and I wish you all the luck!
pixiefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:21 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 184/C/145

Surgery is an option not for me either. I believe that I did not gain these pounds over and therefore it is impossible to truely loose them over night. Hard work and dedication is the more healthier way, and you do not have the risk for infection or hemmorhage.

Jenn
jenn_mullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:46 PM   #13  

Well, I think that your decision is definitely admirable. While most people who do get the surgery do the research and decide that it's worth the risk, I personally feel like the restrictions on diet AFTER the surgery are really what help the people to lose the weight. I'd personally rather eat 1,500-1,800 calories a day of the things I enjoy than to be resigned to eating 500 calories a day of bland stuff for the rest of my life. I'm not trying to attack anyone, and I know that there are more reasons WHY people do it (perhaps they feel they cannot simply restrict themselves... too much freedom... other reasons)... but anyway, I think that your effort to try to do it through exercise and diet is admirable and I definitely support you!
erikatheloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #14  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Way to go cinnamon! You'll have lots of great people to cheer you on here plus a big pool of information and insights when questions come up along the way (or you just need a little cheer on a bad day!) Welcome!
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:02 PM   #15  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

CinnamonSpice!!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote