Old 01-02-2006, 05:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Question veggies and fruits question

How do you count yours. Especially in the wintertime I don't eat many fruits. Do you just combine and make up for them with veggies or treat them as separate entities?
I still group them together and am striving for 8 servings a day combined.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:49 PM   #2  

I treat mine separately, but that's the way my plan (Jenny Craig) is designed. The number of servings of each depend on your calorie level. With non-starchy vegetables, you are supposed to have AT LEAST 3 per day on the 1200 calorie level; you can have as much as you like over that, however. (Starchy vegetables -- winter squash, potatoes, peas/beans, corn, etc., count as starch exchanges.) In general a vegetable serving is 1/2 cup cooked or 1 cup raw. For fruits, at 1200 calories you get 2 and it goes up from there. In the winter, there are times when some fruits are actually in season. Right now, navel oranges and grapefruit are at their peak. In the fall tropical fruits are in. etc. I eat a lot of bananas and granny smith apples year round. I also eat a lot of dried fruit -- raisins, cranberries, apricots, etc. -- and frozen unsweetened fruit is good, too.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:40 PM   #3  

I lump fruits and vegetables together. I think I it just because I eat a lot more vegetables than I do fruits. I always plan vegetables into my meals - fruits tend to be an afterthought for snacks, a sweet tooth, etc.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:49 PM   #4  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

I kind of lump mine together too. It's SO MUCH harder to get decent fruit in the winter! Seems like it always comes down to the "basic 4"--bananas, pears, apples, & oranges. Sigh. I've never been all that fond of oranges, apples make me HUNGRIER, and I like B & P, but they're fairly high cal when compared to veggies (I'm a calorie counter). I've been eating a lot of satsumas & tangerines so far and I do make a point to alternate in the rest just to be sure I'm covering my vitamin base.
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #5  
a new year... a new me

i do mine together too but during winter i don't get many fruits, if any, either. in summer i LOVE buying different kinds for the kids and myself to try so its not a problem to get all the fruits in... because i dont get many fruits in right now i try to aim between 6 and 9 servings.
shedilbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:20 PM   #6  
wip

Height: 5' 10"

I'm totally the opposite. I get tons of fruit and struggle with the veggies. I do lump them together and aim for around 8. At times I have tried to limit the fruits to 2. Much easier in the winter.
wip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:57 PM   #7  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

I've been eating 2 oranges a day - they are so much in season right now
I also eat tons of red pepper and onions
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:27 PM   #8  
Will work for yarn!

I lump 'em. That's what WW does for the suggested number of servings.
myholidayboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:43 PM   #9  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I lump em together.

And I cheat--if I haven't hit my quota by the end of the day, I swig some lo/so V8.

I also like to keep Dole pineapple chunks handy.

Also McDonald's has a really awesome fruit salad.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:48 AM   #10  
a new year... a new me

i LOVE the mcdonald's fruit salad!!!!! i LOVE their grilled chicken, bacon and ranch salad too! its almost .... orgasmic! LOL
shedilbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:03 AM   #11  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

I forget about pineapple chunks. I think I am going to get some canned fruit in so I can get my fruit in as well. I try to eat blueberries as they have been written about over and over again as one the "superfoods". In fact tomorrow morning I am going to make a blueberry smoothy with plain non fat yogurt.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:52 AM   #12  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

I view them separately. I find if I aim for a couple of different veggies at both lunch and dinner, I'm getting a reasonable amount.

Fruit is more difficult for me, and I should make a conscious effort to ensure I'm eating enough. Unless I have my cereal with raisins, and a fruit shake, I rarely get the recommended number of servings.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:35 PM   #13  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I lump them together, I tend to get more veg than fruit, although I always have a portion of blueberries with my porridge for breakfast - a great start to the day!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:08 PM   #14  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I lump them together. That way I only have to write "0" once!

All kidding aside, I have a VERY hard time getting in the veggies. Much easier time with the fruit. Is a V* really cheating? I was just thinking of adding that!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Not at all. I will sometimes drink it in the afternoon as a pick me up and it will tide me over.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote