Old 12-31-2005, 09:09 AM   #1  

Default I need help!

Ok guys,

I am back, got my christmas stuff put away and the treadmill is back out and I am ready to go, I have made a list of healthy low fat meals and I want to get right into it and lose hopefully at least 20 lbs before my brothers wedding at the end of march. Does anyone have any tips for me? Another question is how do I eat healthy and low fat but also keep my husband happy? He also could stand to lose some weight but was raised in texas on southern food and is extremly picky when it comes to healthy eating. I really need as much advice and tips as you can muster! I want this weight gone, I am tired of feeling crappy and just plain old sick when I look at pictures of myself. I want to start a family and I wand to live a long and happy life. Thanks everyone, now give me the goods!
Danica
tuckytex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

Hi Danica,

I have found that logging my food intake has been very useful. I use CalorieKing, but I've also heard good things about FitDay. Both have very extensive food databases, to make it easier to count calories.

As far as making meals that everyone likes, I really enjoy Cooking Light (both the magazine and the website). Every issue they "re-do" a recipe -- lightening it up while keeping the taste. You may want to check that out.

Finally, you may be surprised at how much you can eat and still lose weight. I have lost between 35-40 pounds (official weigh in is Monday) since the beginning of September by eating 2200 calories/day and exercising 3-4x/week. When I tried to lose weight before on a "women's 1200 calorie/day diet", I was starving all the time. Maybe 1200 calories/day is a good amount for someone who weighs 140 pounds -- I wouldn't know -- but it is too few calories for me.

Good luck to you!
elmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Congrats on the 6 lbs. lost!

My first tip is to avoid putting a timeline on your weight loss. If you're making healthy choices and exercising, the weight will come off in a healthy manner.

Regarding your DH, I'd just start cooking the way you want to eat and if he doesn't eat it, I'm sure he knows where the kitchen is. My DH eats what I eat, but he adds bread and other stuff if he wants to. I do make him keep the peanut butter on the highest shelf (out of sight, out of mind) because it's a trigger food for me. He also keeps his chocolate out of sight, too.

Be sure and start adding exercise, both cardio and weights. I've found that making exercise a priority really helps, especially when I don't see a scale loss, because my clothes fit better and I wear a smaller size given my weight.

Good luck! Stay around and post often. Lots of good support here.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 04:09 PM   #4  

In addition to the great tips you've already gotten, I'll add that you should ALWAYS stick with what you know works. If you find yourself discouraged, suck it up and stick with it. If you eat more than you should one meal (or day), get back on track and stick with it. If you haven't lost all 20 pounds by the time your brother's wedding rolls around, stick with it.

Also, remember that losing weight isn't all or nothing. The important thing is that you make good, healthy choices, the majority of the time. Little changes lead to big results.

Exercise is important. But, remember, every additional movement counts. There is nothing wrong with including a formal exercise routine (walking, gym, etc.) from the get go but you should still make a commitment to move more in general. When I first started losing weight a year ago my exercise routine was simply to stop asking people to bring me things ("since you are up will you bring me a coke?" Somebody hand me the remote control."). I got up and moved for myself. I stopped calling the kids from the bottom of the stairs. Instead I walked up and got them. Things like that made a difference. None of it would give me a workout NOW but back then it got my heart rate up.

As for your husband you can't make him lose weight until he is ready. So, the best thing you can do is lead by example. But that doesn't mean you can't be sneaky and help him eat more healthily in the meantime. I started by changing HOW I cooked things. I made the same dishes as before but used less butter, cheese, etc. than usual. I grilled more. With the exception of fried foods I was able to alter all of my usual menus so that they had fewer calories without anyone ever being the wiser. Next, I gradually started reducing the amount of food that I cooked. We have very few leftovers because I make just enough for everyone to have a reasonable serving. Nobody has ever noticed. I take that as proof that everyone in my family (including me) eats because food is there - not because we are hungry. Then, I gradually stopped stocking so much crap in the kitchen. I went from buying three different kinds of chips every week to just one. And when that bag was gone, it was gone. We can't eat it if it isn't there. Again, nobody ever really noticed. I really think the trick to changing the rest of the family's habits is to wean them gradually. They will kick and scream if you announce you are putting them on "diets." But, what they don't know won't hurt them.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 11:53 PM   #5  

thanks so much you guys!

Those are all really great tips to keep in mind. Elmay can I please have the web address for the light cooking you were talking about? I am allowing myself to eat not so great tonight and then we are going for brunch tomorrow and turkey tomorrow night. First thing monday morning I am starting strong. I already have plans for a walk and weight lifting and I am going shopping with my weightloss buddy for healthy food and we even have a plan that for every ten pounds we lose we will go and buy a ten dollar gift certificate for the mall and then when we hit 100 we will go get some new clothes! Happy new year everyone!!
Danica
tuckytex is offline   Reply With Quote