Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 09:52 AM   #1  

Default Feisty & sexy 50 & 60 yr olds #135

Hi everyone,
Slavika I wish I lived by you since you are always cooking and baking something yummy.
Ann I hope that you are feeling better. I just got over a cold - it seemed to last forever. I tend to get attached to magazines too.
Karen, LaVyrle Spencer is one of my favorite authors and also my sisters. How nice that you get to see her. You really keep yourself busy.
The craft show was yesterday. My friend overslept so she didn't get there till 8. I was there at 6 and couldn't set up since she had all the stuff. It went well except for one shower. We borrowed a pop up tent thing[you should have seen that act of putting it together]. There was a nice crowd and for a change most of the crafters actually made their stuff. I get really angry when the rules say no manufactured things and they pass them off as handmade. Our next one is a big pumpkin festival in the middle of October.
Today on my ediets I am starting an Olympic Challenge. It is 21 days of keeping track of points that you earn for doing different things. Every day there is an olympic exercise. I hope that it helps me to lose again. You can earn cyber medals.
Maria I hope that you are home and doing well.
Have to go to the bank,
Old 09-10-2001, 03:57 PM   #2  
Fun Blonde

We just had the most fun weekend ever! This was one of our special Siblings' Weekends. My brother and his wife, my sister and her husband came up and spent from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. They both sleep on king-sized beds but slept on full-sized beds at my house. We played cards, rented movies, played dominoes, ate out, went shopping and laughed and laughed. The men went "birding" while we shopped. We saw the worst movie ever (It was given 4 stars) "Memento" (hard to follow) and we had a running joke from it forever. Anyway, all in all, it was just a wonderful weekend, especially when you remember 3 years ago they weren't speaking to each other because of a feud that pretty much disappeared when our mother got sick and needed combined help. She would be so happy to see us enjoying each other like this.

Anyway, another bad WW weekend, but it was so worth it!

Peggy - saw the gourd site. Very interesting! I just wish she had more pictures of her completed products.

Slavika - Maui for a full month! You are blessed!
Glenda
Old 09-10-2001, 08:44 PM   #3  
Member Florida Chick

Angry Looking Up!

Hi everyone;

Well yesterday I spent almost 2 hours with tech support and eveytime I called in got a different technician. They gave me all sorts of instructions. I was on the cell phone so I could do what they said. Things are still not right, but we have a friend who is coming over(he knows about computers and can follow what they say) so I hope they can solve the difficulties. You are right Slavika-I never know if it is me, or the internet, or both.

The cold is some better today. Our neighbors came back from their summer up north, so we we had them for supper. They hadn't had time to fill the pantry. We are hapopy to have them back.

Glenda: your weekend sounded great. So nice for family to be together.

Peggy: Glad your craft show didn't get rained out. I liked the gourd crafts of your sister. I too would lie to see more examples of her art. The evening bag was unique. I know what you mean about people using commercial stuff and trying to call it their own. Rules don't apply to them. I used to go to craft fairs with my quilling. And when you work hard to do your own thing, it is maddening to have to compete with the commercial stuff. Especially, those crafters who do silver work.

Slavika: I think you enjoy cooking. You always have such yummy things to tell us about.

Maria- Lily- You are missed.

Karen: What is your topic for this week. It is interesting to see what is discussed all over the country.

Trudy: How are you doing?

Talk to you all soon Ann
Old 09-10-2001, 09:42 PM   #4  
Net browser

Hi Everybody:
Peggy I don't know where you found that neat "stop" avatar you used to direct us to this new thread, but what a great idea. I wish you lived near me too, then you could come for tea tomorrow at 2:30PM. When I used to sew sweat shirts and hand paint them I went into a couple of craft shows. They are a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. Most of the shirts I did were "made to order". Somebody would want something special painted on the shirt to give as a gift. I did quite a few for grand parents. One that I did over and over again (I saw one like it someplace) was to paint a big tree on the front of the shirt with big red apples and green leaves. I would then write in the names of each grand child on an apple. I painted a little "wood" sign on the trunk of the tree.....and it would say, "Grandma"s Bunch" or "Grandpa's Bunch" or whatever. I always put in in an extra apple and showed it falling off the tree, and left it blank in case a new little one was born, their name could be added, (if not it just looked good) I always painted the trees different, although I did that "same" theme over and over.
Glenda I know that I am fortunate in going to Maui for a month. I thought maybe this year we wouldn't go because of the expense of getting my teeth done but we decided to go anyway. The new living room drapes and new back door will just be put on hold for awhile. LOL
Ann I hope you soon get your computer problems all sorted out. It's a difficult time when everything is new and you are not sure of whats going on. I have to confess that although I like to cook and bake, well mostly just the baking,...... not everything I do turns out. Trudy I'll see you tomorrow at WW and then later for tea. Maria just wanted to say hello to you and let you know I am thinking about you and missing your great posts. Lily I miss your posts too, and you will be gone for soooo long.

Well night all, talk to you tomorrow.

Last edited by slavika; 09-10-2001 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-11-2001, 01:52 AM   #5  

Default I am back............

G'day all,

The first time back on-line since going into hospital and what a lot to read. I have printed it out and will have a good read.

Firstly thank you to you all for your kind wishes. I do appreciate it

Operation went well, 5 neuromas out of one foot and 4 neuromas out of the other , 2 screws in each big toe. I am feeling quite well but feeling a little woozy writing this whilst sitting up.

I won't write for long. DH might be very clever but boy he is not all that handy around the house! He panics about nothing. He has had a lot on his mind and is leaving for New Dehli in the morning for 10 days. I have asked him to get me some 'lean cuisine' meals so I can just pop them in the microwave. In a way I feel I will be better off on my own without him fussing about and telling me off for not resting or whatever. DD will be able to call in every other afternoon.

I am looking forward to having 'normal' feet and I feel sure before long that will be the case.

'Speak' to you all soon again, thanks again for your kind wishes.

Cheers
Maria

PS don't want to brag but I have lost over 2.2 kg, I think nearly 5 pounds in your language, mind you I don't recommend the way I lost it
Old 09-11-2001, 09:20 AM   #6  

[list][*]Slavika I will confess that I steal those avatars from other posts. If I think they are cute I save them. I have a niece that is going to Hawaii in a couple of weeks. She used to be a travel agent and so she is going with a bunch of them. You don't want to know how little they have to pay.[*]Glenda I will tell her to put more pictures in. She is still playing with it. We love to play dominoes. WE play with another couple and we think the guys cheat since they always win]
Have to run. DIL just called and said there was an explosion at the World Trade Center. Later,
Old 09-11-2001, 05:17 PM   #7  

Dear all,

Last night I wrote a rather frivilous post in 'Word' to 'cut & paste' here this morning.

In view of the news that we, on this side of the world woke up to, it seems hardly appropiate.

I just really want to say that we are here all in shock and disbelief how and why anyone can be responsible for such a horrendous act.

It was difficult saying goodbye to dh this morning on his way to New Delhi, I am sure he will be fine but I guess all those people on the 4 commercial flights that were used for this despicable act thought the same.

Our thoughts here in Australia are with the American people.

Take care
Maria
Old 09-11-2001, 06:11 PM   #8  

Thank you Maria, I was going to say it was good to hear from you this morning when I heard the news. I am glad you are doing well. I am still in total shock and anger that this could happen. I feel so sad. I hung out my flag today. Take care,
Old 09-11-2001, 10:10 PM   #9  
Member Florida Chick

Unhappy A sad day!

Hi everyone:

Welcome back Maria, and thank you for the expressions of sympathy and shock. It is alomst more than one can take in.
In Watching the T.V. it seemed like it was some horrible movie, before it really began to sink in.

It is beyond my comprehension how anyone could do such a thing. So many innocent people. And then to see the Palestinians having celebrations, and the expressions on the faces of those children were very hard to see. Such hatred on such young boys.
Being raised to hate.

More conversation tomorrow. We all need to pray for our President and his advisors, for wisdom in dealing with this. And for all the families who have suffered such unspeakable losses. Prayer is what we can do best, wherever we are. Goodnight, Ann
Old 09-11-2001, 11:57 PM   #10  
Net browser

Hi Everybody: Maria I am happy you are home now and on the mend. Get enough rest and just take it easy.

To my American Friends I am so sorry about what has happened in your country today. My heart breaks for the children who came home from school today to learn they have lost a parent or grandparent. My DH came home from his bank early today, because they had a bomb threat. It seems that what happened in New York today extended across our mutual borders
and encouraged some nut cases here to act. I do not understand people like that. I hope tomorrow is a much better day for everybody.
Good night everybody.
Old 09-12-2001, 12:49 AM   #11  
Super Surfer

Such a tragedy! Everyone has been glued to the TV today. It is so hard to comprehend such evil. My heart goes out to everyone who has been touched by today's events. We were over at my brother's tonight to celebrate his 65th birthday, and we just sat in front of the TV watching the horror of the day being replayed. We are so sorry.
Old 09-12-2001, 02:45 AM   #12  

Default the horror goes on........

I wrote this morning's post only 30 minutes after I found out of the tragedy that has hit the American people.
It is now late in the afternoon and we have had non-stop coverage of what has happened.
AnnI also thought when I saw the Palestinians cheering how sad that they have been brainwashed to believe this is something to be cheered about.

I don't know why I am posting other than that I feel I must do something and again I want to express my heartfelt sympathy to all that are touched by this tragedy. Some of you know that I receive the 'Winner's Circle', I have 'cut & pasted' the one I received today, I hope some of you may find it useful.

Winner's Circle Network with Lou Tice - 9/11/01 - "Coping With Tragic
Events"

In light of today's tragic events in Washington, DC and New York City, many
of us are having to cope with a variety of emotions - shock, horror, anger
and quite possibly fear. While this entire situation is difficult to
understand for adults, it is even more confusing for our children.

I have asked Cheri Lovre, a crisis management expert who works with schools
and districts in crisis situations, to offer suggestions on how we can help
our children understand what has happened today:

"The younger the child, the less apt they are to understand the gravity of
the situation. We know that children react to how they think their
caregivers are doing. Thus, it is very important that we provide support, as
the children will only do as well as we do. . . Remain calm and give
messages of reassurance."

Schools have the opportunity to teach lessons "by bringing this home. The
lesson here is that hate, distrust, lack of tolerance is damaging at any
level. It is very easy at times such as these to focus on blame, on making
certain other groups the 'bad guys' and ourselves to be the 'good guys.'
Anything that reinforces stereotypes is a lesson missed, and an opportunity
wasted.

"These kinds of events are frightening for all of us, but these are also
times when we draw together and are kinder, take better care of each other
and spend more time together. Take time to have extra awareness and
connection with all people in your life."

A complete text of Cheri's article has been placed on the homepage of our
website. I urge parents and education professionals to access this valuable
information in the days ahead. To the families and friends directly impacted
by today's events, Diane and I, as well as the entire global staff of The
Pacific Institute, offer our prayers and support.

- Lou Tice
The Pacific Institute - "Celebrating 30 Years 1971 - 2001!"
http://www.loutice.com

Hopefully better and brighter days tomorrow.

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 09-12-2001 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-12-2001, 09:09 AM   #13  

I, too, hated to see the pictures of the children cheering. How awful to be brought up to hate. My nephew had a friend on the first plane. He spent the day with her children. How horrible for them. My sil and her dh were in Washington boarding a plane for Chicago at about the same time the hijackers were boarding theirs. This is just too wierd. Sort of reminds me of the Left Behind series. I went to church this morning and did the only thing I know to do and that is pray. See you all later,
Old 09-12-2001, 11:16 AM   #14  
Fun Blonde

I believe we are all in shock and stunned about the magnitude of the tragedy. Last January our university was hit and hit hard by the loss of 10 of our staff and athletes. This "thousands" just doesn't even compute in my head. When we put a personal face on this and see the individuals, not just the numbers, it usually hits me right in the stomach and becomes even more real.

Maria's posted message about "blaming the bad guys" pretty well stepped on my toes. I think of myself as a tolerant Christian person, but yesterday the veneer seemed pretty thin and I was ready to bomb everybody. Thank goodness, cooler and saner heads are in charge and nothing is done in the heat of the moment. I just pray for those devastated and hurt for a world where people have such hate that they can cheer such a bloody outrage. Hate seems to be our #1 problem.
Glenda
Old 09-12-2001, 08:49 PM   #15  
Net browser

Default ...how's everybody today

Hi Everybody I hope all of you are recovering from the terrible news of yesterday. I went out today with my friend for lunch and we did the same things we do every Wednesday....normal everyday kinds of things that friends do when they go out for lunch and shopping.
Yesterday, at WW Trudy and I learned that a WW member that we both like very much, just lost her husband a couple of weeks ago. He had not really been sick for any length of time, but the doctor's discovered he had cancer and he died two weeks later. Just that quickly, her whole life has been changed. She said she was trying to go out during the day, and trying to keep busy, because now her evenings were so long.
So many sad things happen to so many people.
Maria how are you managing on your own? Have you heard from your DH since he left? Did his flight manage to leave? Are you in much pain, and are you able to get up on your own now?

Not too much is happening with me, I managed to lose another 1# yesterday and I am waiting for the dentist to phone to let me know when they will schedule me for the teeth implants. I sure would like that to be over and done with.

I hope Lily is enjoying her holiday.
I'll talk to you all tomorrow. Have a nice evening.
Closed Thread