Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:55 PM   #1  

Default Friends with RA and OA #19

Just atarting a new thread here.

Last edited by Happy Canuk; 10-25-2005 at 04:58 PM.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:32 AM   #2  

Default Hello hello!

Great idea to start a new thread, was getting very long. Today again, I didn't even think of eating any chocolate, and this was my first day, again, of keeping to a good healthy food in moderation and excersise day. So far so good, I had a great workout this morning and tonight I am working nightshift, I am finding I am getting the munchies and my partner I am working with is treating me to chinese food around midnight, but, I am going to still have some but the key is "moderation" and I am staying away from the deep fried egg rolls - we will see how it goes. Arthritis is has been under control these last few days, no flare ups and I am really happy with that, except for mornings with my feet, but wears off. Boy, when you take your medicine when you are suppose too, it sure makes a difference! I am bad for that, I forget lots and then I go away on the weekend and leave it at home - I am slowly learning my lesson, I think i will remember from now on. I know, that sound really bad, forgetting to take your medicine is crazy considering this crippling disease of ours. I am smarting up right quick!

Have a good day/night everyone!
kelleen920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 11:59 AM   #3  
Focus on the Process

S/C/G: 247/247/165

Height: 5' 8"

Not a very busy thread lately. I'd have gotten on earlier but I've been drowning in homework and Nicole was very sick. Bless her little heart, she's sharing the virus with me.

Not much going on in Montana. Homework and housework. I did get some new shoes that are a little wider and my feet feel alot better, not totally pain free but I'm not limping around so that's good. I'm going to buy a pair of Merrill shoes when I get some extra money. My sister says they are very comfortable and they actually use the form from a woman's foot instead of a man's foot to manufacture them so they fit better. Sounds good to me and they actually mould to your foot. Oh yah....

I've been busy sewing and trying to keep up with my growing girls. Tiana and Kayla are doing awesome in school so far, and they are taking dance lessons now. Kayla is taking jazz and tap. Tiana is taking ballet, jazz, and hip hop. Tiana has her first performance on the 19th of this month.

Kelly goes in for surgery next week. He needs to get his esphogus widen again and possibly another surgery to keep the acid from refluxing up. He also got sent to a nutritionist because his cholesterol is up, despite medication and he is now border-line diabetic. His doctor says he better be down to around 200 lbs. by his appt. in April, or he'll have to find a new doctor. Talk about tough love. Maybe that's the kick in the butt he needs to get serious about his health.

I am officially down to 198 now. I go back to the clinic next week for my weigh in and see how I'm doing. The last couple of weeks have been a struggle with everyone being sick and lots of activities to do so I know my weight loss has slowed down. I've been good for the last couple days, just need to get into the exercise swing and I'll be on the road to a whole new mew....

TTFN for now. Nicole is wanting some water and she's totally absorbed in her Shrek 2 movie. I gotta get my buns in gear and get my quilt listed on ebay to get some money going for Christmas and maybe take a shower...

Love ya ladies,
Chris
chrily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:17 PM   #4  

Got this from a newletter site. Thought it might be of interest to those of you who have RA.

http://www.prohealthnetwork.com/library/bulletinarticle.cfm?ID=2671
Old 11-09-2005, 03:59 PM   #5  

Default Frustrated but Holding

I really like your quote HappyCanuck "It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not" Since I read it on one of your previous posts, I tell that to myself alot as one of my inner voices when trying to utilize will power - it is a very strong quote. Things are o.k. I have been really good with my workouts and eating in moderation, I am looking forward to keeping this up and weighing myself on Friday to see if any change. I over did it at the gym yesterday & hurt my knee, it is definately an arthritis thing and not a weight lifting injury. I tell the officers here at work that I just pulled a muscle as they don't know I have RA because so far I am still going ahead with my plans for College. All the civillian women here are routing me on and supporting me and telling everyone, I can't not go to College that would be weak of me and I am not weak - I am not giving in just yet, and I don't have to make a decision anyway until they actually offer me the job, and I have a few weeks before my interview so I can get more info from my Dr. and really think about this step, and if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out and I said before, I will have a really hot body for summer! - sorry I am feeling a tad bit sorry for myself today.

On the bright side! I am sure I will have lost a couple of pounds for sure. I will keep you posted. One tip that I am sure you all already do, is I bought a case of club soda and I put a squeeze of lemon & lime in and boy is it good! really helps with the 8 glasses of water daily. Yummy.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:31 PM   #6  
Hang In There

I know I have ben MIA for quite a while, but my live has been turned upside down for quite a while lately.

I've been handling my disease pretty well, not really big flares recently, just the always present nagging fatigue and joint pain. I hope things are going well with all of you.
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:25 PM   #7  
Focus on the Process

Hey Barb
I think everyone is MIA. I'm here but have been so busy with school. How is your holiday season going so far? Not too bad here. The sam mad scramble for trying to come up with money for presents and still pay our regular bills. There never seems to be enough money.

I hope you are feeling better. I have a little problem with my feet but that's just life. I've been referred to a podiatrist to see if he can figure out what to do. I've taken prednisone and it didn't work at all. They did increase my methotrexate to 9 pills a week instead of 8.

I better go. I still have to do some more homework so I better get outta here.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

~chris
Old 12-10-2005, 11:55 PM   #8  

Hi Barb and Chris.

Gosh, it's been awhile since anybody was here. Chris, I hope your classes are going well and that you are finding it easier, now that you have been at it for awnile. That is the way it goes - always a shortage of funds!

Barb - nice to see you. I know how the fatige is and it isn't nice. I hate it worse than the pain.

Well, ladies, I started working part time after being unable to work for the past 9 years. I am doing data entry at the lab (where you get bloods test etc.) . I work from 7:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and I am sure enjoying it. Have to learn all the terminology etc., and it gets harder the older you get, but I am doing ok.

Angel - if you ever come have a look over here, hope all is well with you.

Kelleen - Hope your weight loss efforts are paying off and that the pain is allowing you to continue with your goals.

Have a nice weekend.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:03 PM   #9  

Hey There- I haven't been in here for awhile.. Computer problems. My Christmas gift was a new Dell. I love it so far.
All my shopping is done. I just have to buy fresh bread for dinner Christmas. My health has been pretty good lately.
I am as usual wanting to lose about 5 lbs .I will work on that.
I hope that the Holidays are kind to all of you and that you have a
MERRY CHRISTMAS.Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:52 PM   #10  

Hello everybody,

Sorry I've been gone so long. My computer has been in a terrible shape. I finally ordered a new one. I'll try to get it set up tomorrow. I got a Dell, also, Joanne! I suppose great minds DO think alike.

It's good to see the thread is still going. I'll try to post more often after Christmas.

I'm doing fair healthwise. I dread the next couple of weeks, though. It's time for a treatment, but there's no Drs at the clinic for the next two weeks (Christmas vacations) so I have to wait. I'll be in pretty bad shape by then. One good thing, though. The new drug plan will save me around $300.00 a month in prescription meds. (wish I could dance like that!)

Anyway, just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. I miss all of you, my friends. I'd love to put pretty graphics on, but was lucky to just post.

Charlotte
Angel-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 06:34 PM   #11  
Hang In There

Just wanted to stop in and wish everyone a Merry Christmas. It's Saturday night and my family has all gone to other places. Our Christmas was nice, especially for my grandson, he got so excited, it was wonderful to watch. Tomorrow we will go t o my brothers for lunch and a fun Chinese Christmas gift exchange. It is so strange not to have Mother with us, but we have to make new traditions now.

Hope everyone feels well and enjoyes the day tomorrow.
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 07:17 PM   #12  

Default Hey There

Merry Christmas Everybody...
All of the family will be here tomorrow.. As usual it will be here. My daughter and new Daughter-in-law are chipping in with food . I am making Fela (stuffed grape leaves)and pork loin roast with potatoes ,salad and pies.I hope not to gain any pounds.RIGHT!I am barely maintaining.
It should be a nice day...Joanne
Old 12-30-2005, 10:38 PM   #13  

Default I'm Back!

Hi everyone, I am back. Well, I didn't make my xmas goal, but I think I can't stand the way I feel so much that I have made a new years resolution with a new challenge to loose as much as I can by April fools day - hopefully 25 pds. I kinda gave up there in December, lost my motivation & will power, and myselft, I haven't worked out at all in the month of December, I got the flu for 3 weeks and didn't do a thing. My arthritis is terrible, my hands especially. I felt the best when I was working out regularily and my hubby reminded me of how good I felt and most days were pain free, and I had to agree I have been lazy and depressed and dissapointed in myself. But, no more of that, I am going to make my goal, my hubby wants to join my resolution of getting healthy and in shape and have started a new years challange with my sisters & their hubby's too, and I joined another forum for lossing weight by april fools challange. So, Can't get better support than all that - I have to do this and I will. I just joined the Arthritis Society too, and received some info on the disease and manageing it, and I think I will join Joints in motion. Is anyone involved in that now?
Old 12-31-2005, 10:08 AM   #14  

Default Hey There

Keleen- Welcome.. I have also made a vow to lose the extra weight I gained. I am at goal and a KOP with TOPS. It is really hard for me to maintain and I seem to always be on the edge. I walked 2 days this past week but had to stop and wait for my back to get better. I have severe OA and I guess I hurt my back cleaning the rug. I should have just left the tract marks alone. I am so picky and didn't want them there for Christmas for guests to see.It is good that your hubby is supporting you. I lost 74 lbs and the best support was my family. My daughter and son used to call me after every meeting and ask how I did on weigh in.My hubby was good too.The only thing is he wanted all the same goodies around. I had to just put on "blinders" and do my thing.I am still trying to keep the "blinders" on. It is not always easy.This battle can be won.
Hello everybody. HAPPY NEW YEAR. Let's all get healthy..
Joanne
Old 12-31-2005, 11:18 AM   #15  
Focus on the Process

Hey Kelleen, and Joanne...

I'm in the same boat. Lost the motivation and just having a hard time getting back on track. My ultimate goal for me is to get the rest of this weight off of me. I hope to be at goal by June. If I actually stick with what my doctor has planned out for me, it shouldn't be a problem. I just love to cheat, I guess. I need to set it in my mind about what is more important....my health or all the goodies I shove in my mouth.

My feet are still giving me fits. I have a ankle brace for the worst one. It helps some but squishes my foot to death. The doctor says I can get inserts made for my shoes if I want. I might go with that route. I'm having a problem with my tendon that attaches to the second meditarsel and the ankle. The orthotics or the brace keep it in a position where it doesn't pull...and hurt.

Well Happy New Years! Lets check in more often and get this thread back on track. I know I can use the help of my other RA/OA friends.

~chris