Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:28 AM   #1  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

Default Pre-menopause & dieting

Anyone out there who is starting to have menopause symptoms and having plateau issues in their weight loss?? and what have you done to "un-stick" the scale??
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:39 PM   #2  

Smile

3 months ago, I was diagnosed with Pre-Menopause. Unfortunatley, I am in the same boat as you. Only thing I can recommend, which I am going to start tomorrow, is stay away from extra salt, exercise longer, and drink plenty of water.

If I find anything that has helped me, I'll make sure to tell you.

emerald dragonfly
emerald dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:46 AM   #3  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

i am tempted to just go back on my birth control pills at least they would straighten the hormones out!
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:01 AM   #4  

I'm in the same boat curlylocks, as well as being on thyroid-replacement for the last 20 years. I know that I am doing what I can do to be the healthiest me, but I sure wish the lbs were easier to get rid of! Oh well, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.....I know I feel better too! I guess I need to look at the other benefits of eating healthy and exercising! Take care
maggie2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 12:40 PM   #5  

Talking

Birth control made me gain weight. But I don't worry about that subject anymore.
Hormones do play a big part as we get older. I am ready to bypass the "pre" part. I was told by several friends that once you hit menapause, you'll feel better. Well, I am not sure of that. My MIL and 1 SIL are having a terrible time with menapause. I hope when I get to that stage, I'll feel better.

emerald dragonfly
emerald dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 03:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 212/see ticker/155

Height: 66"

Default Speaking of birthcontrol and premenapause...........

I haven't exactly been diagnosed, but I have had symptoms - bouts of occasional rage (or severe irritabilitiness) mostly. My doctor took me off birthcontrol to see if it would help with my bloodpressure. I have been on them for 8 years or so. My weight almost immediately shot up 7-10 pounds. Mostly water. It is slowly creeping down again. I don't know if it is because my hormones are getting back on track or the treadmill I bought 2 weeks ago. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had weight gain after getting off BC pills?
beth1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 03:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I haven't found that's effecting my weight loss. I have hot flashes and night sweats that do disturb my sleep.
But when I think of what a blessing it will be to be period free .... I figure it's worth a little trouble.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 04:33 PM   #8  

For hot flashes and night sweats, try soy tablets and black cohash. Soy is a plant estrogen but I have found it very helpful. I take a 50 mg. tablet once per day. When needed, I take one black cohash which also reduces/eliminates symptoms.
smcneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:42 AM   #9  
Mel

I lost the biggist chunk of my weight while I was peri-menopausal. Eat right and exercise. The laws of physics still hold true. The biggest surprise that I had is that when I dropped 50 pounds or so and cleaned up my eating, both my periods and a lot of my symptoms disappeared. Since I also had endometriosis, this was a huge blessing!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:36 AM   #10  
Emotional Butterfly

I'm 51 and I am having a very hard time. The bloating. My belly looks 6mos pregnant half the time. I just want to lose weight without starving myself. I watch calorie intake. Gonna try drinking 64oz + of water a day. I was told that the more water I drink and less salt used the body will release water instead of retain it. Been doing it for 2 days now and I'm 2lbs lighter today. Do you have any suggestions. besides I need to exercise more. I know I know. 30 min treadmill 30 min cardiocruiser A little pilates and roll around on the floor on the exercise ball. Gonna try to keep this going. But. This bloating is driving me crazy.
chazzi44 is offline   Reply With Quote