Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-29-2005, 07:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 298/230/150

Question can you look smaller, but the scale hasn't changed

I have been told that I've lost weight and I can tell, but the scale really hasn't went down that much. I work out everday and I know that fat is bigger than muscle and was wondering does this sound familiar to anybody.
kittiebabyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 298/226/150

Height: 5'2''

hi there...you sort of have it. Fat weighs LESS than muscle. If you are working out everyday then it is more likely you are gaining muscle mass. This will cause you to look like you have lost weight, but no scale movement. Keep it up though because what happens next is more remarkable...the muscle begins to eat the fat. You are going to me a lean, mean fat eating machine before long and will notice dramatic results.
campinbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

You're right Kittybabyh. Fat can be very fluffy looking
I have a friend who lost first around her face and neck. The change was quite noticeable with the first ten pounds.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:22 PM   #4  

Thanks, this gives me motivation to know that at least I look different. I've lost 7 pounds since december 12, when I started this diet, but this year I've lost 50 pounds. I guess when you are my size it takes more weight to notice a change first.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/175/120

Sometimes those mean old scales can be deceiving.

Congrats on your loss so far, keep up the excellent work!
BeatlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:32 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatlesFan
Sometimes those mean old scales can be deceiving.

Congrats on your loss so far, keep up the excellent work!

Thank you, I needed that!
Old 12-29-2005, 07:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/175/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiebabyh
Thank you, I needed that!
Anytime sweetheart.
BeatlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 08:06 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by campinbuff
you sort of have it. Fat weighs LESS than muscle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiebabyh
I know that fat is bigger than muscle
Actually, you're BOTH right! It just depends on how you look at it. 1 pound of fat takes up more space than 1 pound of muscle since muscle is more dense, so fat really is bigger than muscle. This is why you can lose inches by losing fat and gaining muscle without losing much weight.

On the other hand, fat weighs less than muscle if you compare them by size rather than weight. A cubic inch of fat will weigh less than a cubic inch of muscle, again, because muscle is more dense. It all just depends on if you're comparing the SIZE or the WEIGHT of muscle vs. fat, but the outcome is the same--2 people the same shape, height, and weight can be drastically different sizes if one has a lot of muscle and the other has a lot of fat!

Congrats on all your hard work so far. I had to lose about 35 pounds before anyone noticed a difference, and even at 42 pounds lost, I hadn't actually gone down a dress size yet. Unfortunately, these things take time, but it's well worth the wait!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I've lost over 50 pounds and I swear no one notices -- not even my mother noticed at Christmas!

I think people are looking at me and trying to tell if something is different, tho.

I can certainly tell, especially because I have picture proof!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:11 AM   #10  

Height: 5"4

Wyllen, It will just take time. All that matters right now is that you HAVE lost the weight (congrats by the way). I know it's nice when people start to notice, but don't fret. They will. Keep going, you are doing great!
cinnamonspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 11:12 AM   #11  
iwillmakeit

S/C/G: 205/173/110

Height: 5'4

I know what you mean. I do work out everyday, and my scale just not going down anymore but when I went to birthday part yesterday people asked me if I lost more weight. They all said I look much smaller than last time they saw me, and I know I haven't lost anything since I saw them last time. It made me feel good, and I am hoping that I am gaining muscle.
tsots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 11:30 AM   #12  

That's good if you are gaining muscle. It burns fat.
chrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:39 PM   #13  

I just wanted to say congrats on everbodys weight loss cause going down is better than going up. Im pretty new here and getting on here and reading posts gives me that extra push towards motivation. Thank you everbody!
Old 12-30-2005, 01:51 PM   #14  

Hey Wyllenn, don't get discouraged that people haven't noticed. You'll just wake up one day and everyone will be flipping out about how much weight you've lost. It's like they don't realize it until it just suddenly hits them. I had a similar experience at 60 lbs. lost when we had a big family Thanksgiving and nobody even noticed or said a thing. It wasn't until about 90 lbs. down that they woke up and realized that I was shrinking. But I promise, when they do finally notice, it'll be like the floodgates have opened. So get ready girl, your time is coming!!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:38 AM   #15  

Gosh, yes. I've lost a total of 18lbs since September but I appear smaller and I have this one pair of jeans I use as a measuring stick. They use to be tight all over at my highest weight, and now when I wear them I can grab a whole handful of fabric in the seat and thighs. 18lbs has never really had that much of an impact on my body. Its the equivalent of a 130lb woman losing 2lbs. So I think I have technically lost more fat that just 18lbs, but gained muscle while doing so... which weighs more than fat. And I'm ok with it, even though its encouraging to see numbers drop. I just keep in mind that it's also encouraging to watch clothes start to get big on me too, even when the scale is being a big meanie.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote