Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 04:44 PM   #1  

Default Vinegar/Marinade Question

Well I just got a whole slew of fresh BS/SL chicken breast from Costco, only $2.99 a pound, and some flank steak too so my freezer should be stocked for Jan!

I like the idea in this forum, where you put the chicken in the marinade and then freeze it? That is so easy, it marinates as it thaws in the fridge so then you just have to grill it up! So you only have to deal with the Veggie aspect of dinner on a day-to-day basis.

Since my SB book hasn't arrived yet, I have a question about vinegar, I didn't see it on the food list, is it OK?

I have a great flank steak marinade that is balsamic vinegar, garlic, olive oil, cilantro and soy sauce run through the food processor...but really, most of it goes down the drain it's hard to know how to "count" marinade! I think flank steak really needs a good acidic marinade or else it's tough...it's best done 24 hours in advance.

Old 12-29-2005, 05:52 PM   #2  

Hi K8EE...
Hmm, yer right, the list does not contain Vinegar on the OP list...but just to be sure I checked my GFGC guide (that's the Good Fats, Good Carbs guide companion to the SB book).

It states that Vinegar is okay.. That includes Balsamic.
It goes on to break it down to show it contains 1 sugar and 1 carb for 2 TBSPs.

ENJOY K8ee!
Old 12-29-2005, 10:12 PM   #3  

Thanks Schatzi!! I've been kind of surprised at the things not on the list (like my favorite, PUMPKIN) so just wanted to make sure...

I'll find out more WHY stuff isn't on it when the book comes, but for now I just to know enough to stock up my pantry & freezer.

That picture is so funny!
Old 12-30-2005, 10:08 AM   #4  

Vinegar is used in lots of the recipes in both South Beach cookbooks. I'm pretty sure pumpkin is listed as a winter squash and is phase 2 only. And even then I believe it is limited.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:17 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb0522
Vinegar is used in lots of the recipes in both South Beach cookbooks. I'm pretty sure pumpkin is listed as a winter squash and is phase 2 only. And even then I believe it is limited.

OMG!! You lost 71 POUNDS???????

Old 12-31-2005, 10:33 AM   #6  

South Beach has worked well for me. Actually, since I went back on phase 1 this week to make up for what I ate over the holidays, I am back down to 140 this morning so I guess I've lost 74 pounds. I'm also off of my three blood pressure meds and have great cholesterol now. I love this way of eating.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:00 AM   #7  

Barb! You are such a STAR!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2005, 11:44 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I want to be Barb when I grow up.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:55 AM   #9  

You guys are going to make me blush! But remember I am now losing pounds that I had already lost before. If I hadn't eaten off plan so much this month, I could be closer to goal. But I figure the important thing is to get back on track (besides my birthday is coming up soon and I DO want chocolate cake for it - but I'll plan an OP dinner, maybe some expensive seafood that I wouldn't normally buy).
Old 12-31-2005, 08:58 PM   #10  
Who needs sleep?

I remember Dr A saying that acids slow down the absorption of sugars into our systems, so I'd be surprised if vinegar wasn't approved.
Closed Thread