Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-29-2005, 08:53 AM   #1  

Height: 5'9

Unhappy What is wrong with my leg?!

Okay guys, I'm having a serious problem with my left leg. Back in March, I noticed that the skin on the outside of my left leg, halfway down my calf to my ankle, was really numb. I didn't think too much of it though. Now, over the past couple of months, the numbness has traveled down to the top of my foot. I get tingling and a pins and needles type feeling. I tried exercising yesterday and it made it worse.
I went to the doctor about it and he thought I might have a herniated disk, but since I have no back pain, he ruled that out. My ankle is really weak and I can barely flex my foot. The doctor had me walk barefoot, on my toes, and that was no problem. But, when he had me walk on my heels, I couldn't do it with my left leg.
I don't know what's wrong with me!! I know my mother got "drop-foot" when she was my age and dieting hardcore...but she also wasn't really eating and I do eat.
I know that asking you guys is no replacement for going to the doctor....I go to the neurologist on January 5th. But, I was just wondering if any of you have heard of this or experienced this before. My mother thinks it may be due to my drastic weightloss. And I'm just at a loss...this has never happened before and I'm FREAKING OUT!!
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 09:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Nerve things can be very tricky. I'm glad your doc is sending you to a neurologist. My husband herniated a disk and his first symptom was calf pain. Try to avoid back stress, twisting etc. and try to calmly wait for your next appt. You might try moving your foot with the other one or your hands to keep it supple.
Keep us up to date would ya?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 09:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I had herniated discs too, with no back symptoms. I had numbness and tingling in my left leg. Later I got it in my foot (and my butt!). But I had no loss of function or problems with motor control. I'm glad you're seeing a neurologist, too. In addition to what susanb said, I'd add, try not to freak out. I found that hard to do, but know my freaking made everything worse. Maybe it helps to know others have been through similar things (I know that helped me!)
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:20 AM   #4  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

I get numbness in my pinky fingers when my back is out of adjustment in the center of my back below my shoulder blades. A trip to the chiropractor sets it right pretty quickly, so I'd suspect lower back issues for leg numbness too.

Like Wyllenn said, try to not worry too much about it because stress will only make it worse, especially if it's a muscle/back issue. I would suggest doing some gentle stretching for your lower back muscles in the meantime. Good luck at your doctors appointment.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:54 AM   #5  
9.95 + S & H

I had the same numbness, and after going to the chiropractor a few times it went away. As far as the not being able to walk on your anke (I'm not a professional!) my chiropractor told me that if you can't do it you have some kind of nerve damage.
Have you thought of going to a chiropractor? Good luck!
Kathy
PsycoPhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:11 PM   #6  

Height: 5'9

I'm not too keen on going to a chiropractor. I've heard that they can really cause more damage than good. Plus, they're really not "real" doctors, so that kind of makes me leery. I don't know, maybe I caused it myself from cracking my own back/neck/ankles. I also sprained my ankles, badly, many times when I was heavy. Maybe it's from wearing heels. I just don't know.
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:22 PM   #7  
9.95 + S & H

I had lower back problems all my life but I was also terrified to go to a chiropractor, but I pulled all the ligaments in my lower back, misaligned my upper back and popped a rib out of place when I was moving some fencing (bad move! ) I heard they could do more damage than good too, but I could barely move so I gave in. It took about 3 months, but I feel great now. Do what you want to, but keep it in mind as an option.
PsycoPhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:32 PM   #8  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemetarysiren25
I'm not too keen on going to a chiropractor. I've heard that they can really cause more damage than good. Plus, they're really not "real" doctors, so that kind of makes me leery. I don't know, maybe I caused it myself from cracking my own back/neck/ankles. I also sprained my ankles, badly, many times when I was heavy. Maybe it's from wearing heels. I just don't know.
I wasn't suggesting that chiropractors are doctors I also wasn't suggesting that you see one, just piping up that I have had extremity numbness that was back related.

On a related note though, my massage therapist isn't a doctor either, but has certainly done more good for my back than any doctor I've ever seen. As in all things, YMMV
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote