Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 12-29-2005, 12:16 AM   #1  

Default New here-Nursing mom

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Holli. I've been married to my hubby for 5.5 years now. We have a 4-year-old son and a nine-month-old daughter who I am nursing. I was on bed rest for 23 weeks with her and gained a lot of weight. At 8 weeks PP I was 230, I am now down to 185. I want to get to at least 150. Look forward to meeting everyone here.
holli00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:20 AM   #2  
I am Anti-Fat

S/C/G: 364/361/170

Height: 5' 7"

Hello Holli. I'm brand new too. Nice to meet you and say hello. I'm Fawnice, I'm in Corpus Christi, TX. I wish you the best of luck with your weight loss. I have tons to go and started detoxing today.
fawnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:48 AM   #3  

Default Hey Holli

I too am nursing and having a REALLY hard time losing. I have a 8 mopnths old boy and it seems like no matter what I do I dont lose any weight, so then I get frustrated and stop. Any advice on the nursing loss? My best friend says she gains all her weight while nursing (she is one of those who breezes thru pregnancy without any gain) I Too was on bed rest for a good part of my pregnancy and I had to spend time in the hospital for bedrest. I also had gestational diabetes, severe hypertension and was anemic. So I had all the factors for lots of gain, now I cant lose.....
Tara
bgbrwnys101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:53 AM   #4  

My main problem with trying to lose weight while nursing is that I want to eat all the time, so I have to be extra watchful of what I eat. I do Weight Watchers, which lets you add 10 points for nursing. I was doing really great and then my husband got home from a long deployment and we have been going out together a lot eating and I've been cooking all the good home cooked meals that he missed. So tomorrow it's back on track!!!
holli00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:04 AM   #5  
resident lactivist

Welcome Holli! I know how that post-deployment stuff goes. I've got 3 munckins of my own, 3 (will be 4 in March), 23 months, & 2 months. I'm nursing the youngest two.

It sounds like you're doing pretty good on the weight loss. Forty-three pounds in 9 months is nothing to look down on, that's for sure!

Tara, it might be that the same things which contributed to your gaining weight during your pregnancy will make it difficult to lose weight now. Sucks, right?

If you had GD, you may well have insulin resistance now; have you been checked for that? I've got PCOS, which is a sort of pre-diabetes in many ways, and it can make losing weight pretty hard. I've had a lot of success with SugarBusters, & I know others with the same condition who swear by South Beach. (They're very nearly the same thing.) Check your library for diet books that incorporate the Glycemic Index, like the two I just mentioned and also the New Glucose Revolution, Good Carbs/Bad Carbs, & the Glycemic Index Diet. (I know there are others, just can't come up with the names offhand.) The thing with the GI is that it helps you pick foods that will help you to stay full longer, so over the course of the day you'll eat a bit less.

That said, some women lose weight sluggishly while nursing. It's an evolutionary thing. Your body wants to hang on to some fat stores to ensure a good milk supply. One reason we nursing mamas have to be careful not to let our calories dip down too low. The "normal" Weight Watchers POINTS goal for my weight would equal out to roughly 1200 calories; with the extra 10 for nursing it's 1700. Conversely, it's still possible to overeat, so it's a balance you have to work out.

Congratulations to both of you, by the way, on making it so long nursing! I am insane and so I have been nursing nearly 4 years straight, but y'all are in very rare company indeed to have kept up past six months! (I think it's something like 30% of women who are still nursing at six months.) It's time to break out the "Yes, I'm still nursing" t-shirts for the babes, eh? If I remember right, I started to get shock at still nursing my oldest at around four months.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:24 AM   #6  

Thanks GB Momma!!!
I havent had myself checked but i should, that is how my mom ended up with diabetes. I also am very early pcos, in fact they thought I had a giant cyst when I was actually pregnant!!!!!!!! Which was good as we were trying, for thre and a half years, three miscarriages and lots of other bad things. But now is VERY good!!!!!
bgbrwnys101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:04 AM   #7  
resident lactivist

I hadn't had a period for six months when I concieved my first. I was treated as a total idiot by the doctors until they'd proved to their satisfaction that I wasn't six months along. As you can tell by my signature, though, breastfeeding apparently does very good things to keep my hormones in control.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote