Old 07-21-2005, 11:37 PM   #1  

Red face Replacements: What to do if you to replace rice or potatoes, or flour!!!!?

Ladies and Gents, What can you use to replace these things in some of your favorite "Old Time Recipes" !!!
Need lol, Cn't live without my old fav's. Just need to find a healthier..Lo Carb... way of doing it!!! What is up with TVP? Is it A Maybe?
barbwire61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:45 AM   #2  

Barbwire, not sure what type of plan you are doing... so, here's somethings based on healthy, slow carbs.. Carbs that are not refined..

Rice: Brown or converted
Potatoes: okay once in a while, try red potatoes or sweet potatoes
Flour: Whole Wheat flour ..
Try Whole Wheat pasta and breads

I don't know what TVP is
Schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:03 PM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

TVP is textured vegetable protein. You can use it as a replacement for meat in things like chili, spahetti sauce or lasagna.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 11:01 AM   #4  

I use soy flour and instead of rice, I cook "mock rice" made from grated cauliflower. It works for me. (I have the recepe if you want it)
Silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 12:03 PM   #5  
Mel

I use "oatmeal flour" that I grind in my food processor instead of wheat.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:33 PM   #6  

I have used cooked cauliflower as mock mashed potatoes. Just boil the cauliflower till it is very soft than mash with pepper and some low fat sour cream...you can even add cheese. It is very good but smells up the house.
tiger tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:56 PM   #7  
I am Anti-Fat

S/C/G: 364/361/170

Height: 5' 7"

We're going to give that a try; the cooked cauliflower. Thank you for sharing.
fawnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:42 PM   #8  

Use wild rice, it is not really rice, but a type of grass seed, different than the reg or brown rice.

Less calories and half the carbs too!
aschenbrodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:42 PM   #9  

Hi everyone, I just read this post. Thanks for your wealth of info on potato & rice replacements!
wunderbarpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:49 AM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I buy tvp in bulk (it comes in several shapes, flavored and unflavored. I buy the plain granuals that look like grape nuts cereal) at a health food store. I don't know how many carbs are in tvp, but it's high in protein, amd much lower in in fat and calorie than ground beef. Though it doesn't have a lot of flavor of it's own. I use it to extend (and lighten) ground beef. I brown 1 lb of lean ground beef with onion, garlic, celery, green pepper and add at least 1 cup of dry tvp, and about 1.5 cups of water and a bouillon cube or powder. Using 1 lbs of ground beef, and 1 cup of dry tvp comes makes about the equivalent of 2 lbs of ground beef.

I also use cracked wheat (or "instant" cracked wheat called bulgar), quinoa, wheat beries as side dish grains like rice. I usually add bouillon to the cooking water. Hubby didn't care for the quinoa, but he loves the bulgar and wheat berries (both of which I also sometimes use to extend hamburger. I just prepare them according to the package directions, and stir them into browning ground beef for things like spaghetti sauces, chili, taco meat, sloppy joes...)
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Schatzi - Why do you suggest red potatoes over other varieties? Just curious
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:43 AM   #12  
Changing for me!

S/C/G: 171/171/125

Height: 5'6

use brown jasmine rice its so yummy and i buy the box that brings a few bags that takes 10 min in the microwave
Happy Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #13  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Basmati rice, wild rice, brown rice, long grain rice, barley & bulgar, buckwheat & and wheat berries, oatmeal, beans & lentils, regular & split peas, whole wheat pastas, sweet potatoes, and white & red NEW potatoes all have less starch in them and are lower on the glycemic index (they stay longer in your stomach and don't spike your sugars so much).

Cauliflower and summer turnips (milder) are a fabulous substitute, as is squash, eggplant, zucchini, artichokes, mushrooms, beets, and corn on occasion. If you have a sugar problem, you can have things like turnip, carrots, corn or sweet potatoes as a sub, if you watch the amount and alternate them throughout your week.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I bought almond meal from the health food store last week, and used it in my meatloaf instead of breadcrumbs. It worked very well. Almond flour (ground finer than meal) can be used in place of flour in many recipes (I don't think it would "rise" as I've only seen it in flat breads and pastrie crusts and stuff like that).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote