Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 07:39 AM   #1  

Default a couple quick and easy snacks

I am always looking for some very easy ideas for snacks that I can take to work. So they need to be things that don't require last minute prep, don't need to be served warm, and aren't too fussy. A few that work well for me are:

NUTS! Yum. Just an ounce of unsalted (sometimes I use lightly salted) They are very satisfying and good for you. Just don't over do.
Eggs! Hard boiled or if I'm feeling ambitious tea eggs
Shrimp! I buy frozen shrimp and cook 6 - 8 of them in the morning.
Roasted chickpeas

Cheese works well too, but personally I try to avoid eating cheese as snacks. I am afraid I love it a little too much so I try to limit myself to just one or two servings per day. I'd rather include it in a breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Does anyone else have any easy snack ideas ideal for taking to work?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:24 AM   #2  

I bring raw cauliflower, raw red pepper or raw zucchini. I slice them so they are easy to eat. They are good dipped in hummus although I normally don't.

I also like to bring a container of plain yogurt with a pack of splenda and some cinnamon. Easy to mix up and tasty.

What are tea eggs? I've brought a hard boiled egg and a container with the mustard and mayonnaise to make my own deviled egg but have never heard of tea eggs. I have been thinking of trying the pickled eggs that are in the new South Beach Quick and Easy Cookbook.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:44 PM   #3  

Barbara

Tea eggs are a chinese version of hard boiled eggs. They look and taste great, but do take some time to make. Here's a recipe from Jaffrey's World Vegetarian:

8 eggs
3 T soy sauce
1 T salt
3 thin slices of ginger
3 tea bags (black tea)
1 whole star anise
1 T sugar (I leave out all together, but you could use a pinch of splenda)

Bring water to a gentle simmer. Lower eggs carefully and cook for 6 minutes. Drain eggs and cover with cold water for a minute. Drain again. Tap each egg and create a network of small, connected cracks all over.

Add the rest of the ingredients along with 3 3/4 cups of water to the pot. Bring to gentle simmer. Add eggs, cover and simmer gently for 1 1/2 hour, turning eggs now and then.

You can eat right away and dip in the braising liquid. You can keep in refridge overnight soaking in braising liquid and served cold with the liquid.
Closed Thread