Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-22-2005, 06:45 PM   #1  

Default I know it's only been a month. . .

. . . or a little more since I've been going to the gym (and a couple weeks I was sick, so really this is the 4th week I've been working out, and not all in a row), but I was hoping someone could give me some sort of an idea when I'll start seeing results? I mean, I can definitely feel results already. Like, if I feel my arms and legs, they definitely feel firmer, but I can't see a difference. Still hidden by fat.

I did take my measurements (waist, thighs, upper arms, hips) before I really got started, so I need to take those again and compare. I also took before pix, but I really think it's too early to compare to those.

Any ideas when I might start to see a change?

Sorry to be such a pain. I just need all the motivation I can get. I'm not a patient person. I get frustrated very easily!
hellcatjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:45 AM   #2  

You're not going to like my answer because it's not very specific. Unfortunately training is not an exact science and each body reacts differently. It is so dependent on how much fat you are carrying, your genetic make up, ya da ya da. It took me about six months before there was a perceptible difference and people started commenting on the definition in my shoulders. However this was largely because I was 262lbs and had to lose a lot of fat before any muscle was detectable.

Definitely take your measurements, but don't let them do your head in. My arms are now a lot slimmer than when I started. I take my measurements every eight weeks, and for a couple of measurement sessions both my upper arms and my calves (and my thighs at one stage) got bigger rather than smaller, because I was building muscle at a faster rate than losing fat.

My advice is don't stress about the when, just keep plugging away and look forward to when you get your first comments from other people!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:49 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I think the pictures are a great tool! I started taking mine every 4 weeks (although I haven't taken any for a while now) and would see differences in the early ones, so lawdy knows what they'll be like now!

I think as long as you can "feel" the difference then you've really nothing to worry about. If you're eating healthily too then it will start looking good too soon!

I feel your pain - I get frustrated REALLY easily and am having such a hard time at the moment, I think my scales are stuck! Just keep plugging away and you'll get there in the end!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:25 AM   #4  

If your body composition is changing, your clothes should fit differently, even at the same bodyweight. Bigger delts and a smaller waist are the first things I noticed.

Try on some old jeans from skinnier days, if you have them.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:23 AM   #5  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

I think a big part of it depends on how much fat you have to lose (sorry to sound so blunt ). As you lose the fat and build the muscles, you'll begin to see the results -- but BOTH things have to happen.

I could feel my muscles before I saw them. I spent Aug. 2002 - Aug. 2003 weight training religiously, and then took 18 months off (long story). I've been weight training 3 days a week (and doing cardio) since the first week of February. I saw definition in my calves fairly quickly -- probably because I didn't have that much fat there to lose. Like I said, I've FELT my muscles under my skin (since about April), but I'm only now starting to SEE the definition in my legs, arms, and back without flexing (LOL ).

But everyone is different. I may be developing muscle tone slower than someone else would.

Like another poster said, keep plugging along. It's 100% worth it in the end!!!
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 01:04 PM   #6  

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I know it's different for everyone; I guess I just get frustrated and need some motivation.

Robert--I'm actually already back in my "skinny pants" from when I lost weight after my miscarriage. I was pregnant 3 months and put on, like, 15 pounds. Not good at all. I did dig out some shorts from high school (when I was at my skinniest for Sr. Trip), and they fit pretty well, but I don't know if they would have fit any different before my weight training/working out, so that doesn't help much. My inner thighs are still too fat for short shorts, though.

I try not to go overboard on eating, but I'm definitely not dieting. I do try to make healthier choices, though. Should I really be dieting? I'm 141 pounds and 5'11 (well, 5'10 1/2"), so definitely in a good weight range, I just have too much flab.

I'm gonna have my husband take more pictures of me this weekend (before Christmas dinner--hehehe) and see if I can tell a difference that way.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:44 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcatjill

Robert--I'm actually already back in my "skinny pants" from when I lost weight after my miscarriage. I was pregnant 3 months and put on, like, 15 pounds. Not good at all. I did dig out some shorts from high school (when I was at my skinniest for Sr. Trip), and they fit pretty well, but I don't know if they would have fit any different before my weight training/working out, so that doesn't help much. My inner thighs are still too fat for short shorts, though.
You might buy some pants you can't quite fit into. My "NSV" this week was being able to wear the 40"x32" Regular Fit Levi's I bought a few weeks ago. Now I am working on fitting into some 38"x32"'s. I weigh about the same as last week, but my middle is definitely smaller.

Shorts are not as good because they don't have much surface area.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 05:49 PM   #8  

That's a really good idea, Robert! I need to go out and buy a size smaller jeans. I've been this size for about as long as I can remember (size 11) and I'm ready for a change!