Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-19-2005, 04:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/187/135

Height: 5'4"

Question Need Help Getting Started and Staying Focused

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted on 3fc for a few months and am determined to commit to a lifestyle of fitness. My weight has continued to climb to near my pregnancy weight 23 years ago It is difficult for me to admit how unhappy I am with my body and how self-conscious I've become as a result.

Admit I am very interesting in lifting but get intimidated to even try weights at my (coed) gym. There is a "woman's" section but I'm just uncertain where to start. While there's a treasure trove of information here, I still need guidance.

Today, my (very dear) boss brought in LOADS of deluxe chocolates and cookies to "snack" on. I keep telling myself that I already know how delicious these things taste, how quickly that experience is over and that I'd prefer not getting that tired, overwhelming fatigue that sugar produces in me. For a few days since Thanksgiving, I brainwashed myself into believing that "the holidays" are the worst times to begin a "diet." But since this isn't a temporary thing, I figure why not start right where I am.

So far, so good - but I'm going to need lots of help and I have difficulty asking for any kinf of assistance. Pinpointing sugar "abuse" as one of my downfalls has actually been a relief as it has historically proceeded feelings of deep depression. I've begun to track my food using Fit.day.

I've got to overhaul my eating and (lack of) exercise. My current weight and fatigue is preventing me from enjoying life and many activities. Now, I need to acquire a regular routine of exercise.

The Stumptuous (sp?) website is inspiring but I've got this nagging little voice that tells me, "you can't do that at 49 years!"

Your posts are supportive and I'm grateful they are shared here. Any suggestions you may offer me are sincerely appreciated and considered.

Thanks,
Jean
Ready2BThinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:24 PM   #2  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

One thing you could do is hire a personal trainer just for a session or two to get you started. S/he can talk to you about all the equipment, etc., which may make you feel more comfortable going in on your own.

And I can relate, re: too much bad food at work! If possible, avoid the room where the food is (ours is in the break room, so I just don't go in there ).

Good for you for getting started again! Your signature is right -- you CAN do this!

(we have similar stats, by the way -- I'm 5'4", too.)
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:38 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2BThinna

The Stumptuous (sp?) website is inspiring but I've got this nagging little voice that tells me, "you can't do that at 49 years!"
Why not? There are plenty of people at my gym lifting their 60's and 70's. Progress will be slower than when you were 20, that is all. Anyway, older people lift smarter.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:14 PM   #4  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

(Sorry if this is duplicated. The ether ate my post.)

Hullo Jean, and welcome! I look forward to getting to know you. Post often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2BThinna
I've got this nagging little voice that tells me, "you can't do that at 49 years!"
Now, speaking as a 50-year-old:

Quote:
Of course you can! And I've every confidence that you'll get to be good at it!
There's more than one person in their late 40s, 50s, 60s here. I can think of WaterRat, Ilene, Mel, Meg straightaway. And there are other people too who could well be in this fabulous age bracket.

Committing to a lifetime of fitness is a marvellous thing. Many congratulations.

And welcome again.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:33 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Heard you calling my name, Silver! Jean, you most certainly can start lifting at 49! I'll be 61 next month, and I didn't start until I was 58! Granted I'd done cardio for many years before that, including a class that used 3-5# weights a bit, but weight training, never before. I've seen my mother and mother-in-law suffer with osteoporosis, and while I started late, I want to maintain what bone density I have, plus give my metabolism all the help it can get. And you know what, it feels SOOOO good to be fitter, and STRONG! DH and I took a 3 week trip to England last spring, using 100% public transportation, and carrying our own luggage everywhere (and let me tell you the "tube" is short on elevators, and more than once the escalators were out of order). It was wonderful to be able to handle all that with no trouble.

So look at the threads at the top about exercises, look at your local library for books that will help you with routines (Weight Training for Dummies does this for sure), hire a trainer short term, enlist a friend to help, etc. Start small and as you get stronger and more confident, add on. It feels so good.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:55 PM   #6  

If you have a community college nearby, maybe enroll in a weightlifting class there? I wanted to enroll in one for next semester, but they were all full. :-(

Instead, I got my dad's old bench out so I can do some stuff at home, and then when I need heavier weights, I'll start lifting in the gym.
trixiepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I'm 52 and have been lifting weights for well over a year now. My goal is to have arms that look as good as my 64-year old personal trainer. She is incredible! So please don't let your age stop you--you CAN do this!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:01 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

I heard my name too!! I'm 49 Jean and although I have been lifting for 20 years I know MANY ladies who start later in life and do quite well and like Pat said you certainly do want to keep all the bone density you can at this age and "start small and as you get stronger and more confident, add on. It feels so good."

to LWL and keep posting you'l learn lots from us oldies but goodies...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:08 AM   #9  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I'm gonna add my 2c even though I obviously don't lift "smarter" since I'm a

First of all and you sound like you're half way there already. You've made the decision to change your life and that's a big step.

No-one is EVER too old to start looking after themselves physically. I've just got my mother started on weight lifting (and she is older than you), since there doesn't seem to be a proper PT at the gym she uses (in fact it's quite pathetic but don't get me started on that!).

There is plenty of support and advice on this bit of the forum for weights - and everywhere else for anything else you could possibly want!

So and never be afraid to ask, that goes for anyone and anything!

Good luck with your weight loss journey!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:03 AM   #10  

Jean - I am 45 and new to the whole shebang. I started two years ago and love the person I am today. All it takes it time and patience and determination and good advice - from a personal trainer, a book, a website and your LWL friends .... You CAN do this.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:01 PM   #11  
Meg

Yo! Heard my name too!

I started lifting weights when I was 46 and 257 pounds.

It changed my life.

Now I'm a personal trainer, at age 51!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:07 AM   #12  

Smile This is just what I needed

Thank you, ALL, very much for the encouragement and great suggestions. I am so moved by the the swift and meaningful ideas offered and I'm printing this thread out. As I re-read each thoughtful post, I felt genuinely motivated and convinced that a lifelong commitment to fitness is possible. From your experiences, I believe you truly can understand how I've been feeling and the desire I have to change.

One value I've decided to adopt: It's not "will" I work out today, but rather "when" will I be exercising in the next 24 hours.

And, it just so happens that I'm registering (tonight) for another semester at the local college - will definitely find out if they offer weight classes. I would not have thought of checking that out (thank you Trixie).

Thank you, everyone, for responding to my request for help; Already, your thoughtful suggestions and encouragement have really helped me take the next step. I will be sure to keep you all posted.

Jean
Old 12-21-2005, 01:47 PM   #13  

If they don't have a class, I got this book from the university's bookstore:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/053...books&v=glance

It's written for the beginner, and I've found it helpful so far. It gives info on nutrition, stretching, free weights, and machines, as well as variations of different exercises.
trixiepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:59 PM   #14  

Default Weight Training Books

Trixie,

I checked out that book on Amazon; it looks very informative and I plan to buy it - thanks for the suggestion.

Jean