Old 12-19-2005, 08:03 AM   #1  
believes in tofu

Default Egg substitue

i had never heard of the stuff until I came to this forum.

Is it widely available?? What is in it?? How does it work?? How high is it in calories??

Sorry if there was already another post about this... I haven't looked around TOO much, because it *is* a pretty big forum.

Arkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:49 AM   #2  

I buy egg beaters and egg whites. Both available at walmart and hyvee. Not sure about other stores. They have both been a lifesaver in this house. They work just like eggs but if you look on the carton it will say so much of a cup equals so many eggs. And 1/4 of a cup is only 30 calories. I like the egg beaters that have veggies in them. Keeps the eggs from getting boring.

Welcome to the board!
ambabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:59 AM   #3  
Opulent

If you're looking for a vegan (saturated fat and cholesterol-free) substitute, the following work perfectly for baked goods etc:

General baking: 2 tbsp water + 1 tbsp oil + 2 tsp baking powder

1 banana or 1/4 cup apple sauce plus 1/3 tsp baking powder for each egg called for in a sweet, baked recipe

1 egg:1 tbsp ground flax seed mixed in 3 tbsp water (let sit for a few minutes)
Ener-G Egg Replacer: One whole egg = 1 tsp powder + 2 tbsp liquid

Tofu: To substitute for one egg in a recipe, mash 1/4 cup tofu and add (works well for "Quiche")
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:04 PM   #4  
believes in tofu

Thankyou both!!

Yogini, will any kind of tofu do? Or is it best to use a certain type?

Thanks again

And what kind of oil??
Old 12-21-2005, 01:47 AM   #5  

You know sometimes I should really pay attention to what area the thread is posted under. I looked at the new post list and didn't even think about this being in the vegan section. Oops My bad.

My mom always said to use the Ener-g egg replacer.
ambabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:38 AM   #6  
believes in tofu

no prob about it not being vegan I don't think you can get it here anyway... I live in Spain.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:42 AM   #7  
Egy Kis Lany

In all grocery stores I've been to, it's right next to the regular eggs in 'milk carton' looking cardboard containers.

Usually they are real eggs with the yolks removed and then some nutrients added back in and pasturized (this means they can be eaten raw -- can be used in egg nog, perhaps?). I like the egg beaters a lot, but I use generic kind.
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:01 PM   #8  
Opulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkle
Thankyou both!!

Yogini, will any kind of tofu do? Or is it best to use a certain type?

Thanks again

And what kind of oil??
If you are making a dessert, "silken" tofu, the kind you can find in the little boxes on the shelf are best but for "quiche" and basic baking, regular extra firm tofu(in water style) works really well. If you can't find extra firm, use what you have and adust for level of moisture as needed (soft tofu has more water than firm).

Any oil will work. I love olive (and in Spain you probably have GREAT olive oil!) but safflower, sunflower are great too!
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:29 AM   #9  
I CAN DO IT

S/C/G: 200/174/130

Height: 5'7

Well Vegans dont use any kind of egg substutites. cause it have egg white, so that makes it an animal byproduct. but vegitarians can eat the stuff.
iv been vegan for . whew i dont know. i cant rember. and im only 15.i lost 20 pounds from christmas to now from jsut being vegan. and i dont exercize.
haha its amazingg.
Lindsy Goes RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote