Old 12-18-2005, 02:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/150/150

Default Flaxseed Oatmeal

On days when I want something hot & quick, I throw this together.

1/2 oz Ground Almonds
1/2 oz Ground Sunflower Seeds
3 Tbsp's Flaxseed Meal*
1 tsp. Sweetener
1/8 tsp. Cinnamon (or however much you like)

Add very hot (not boiled or boiling) water 'till you reach the consistency/thickness you like it (I read somewhere not to microwave flaxseed) & top with a tablespoon or 2 or cream. I follow it up with a bottle of water (16 ozs) because of the fiber...and this fills me up for hours!!!

Using FitDay for everything except the FS Meal I get these totals...
Cal's 367, Fat 32.75, Carbs 11, Fiber 7.67 (Net Carb 3.33g) & Protein 12.5.

*The numbers do include the FS Meal, however I added the numbers for the FS Meal to the FitDay #'s seperately because their nutrional facts for Flax Seeds are so different from what I have on my label, so I'm not sure if the difference is because I use the FS Meal instead of the seeds or ??? Hope this makes sense LOL.

Last edited by gonna_be_150; 12-24-2005 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Had to fix boo-boo. Water should not be boiled!!
gonna_be_150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:31 AM   #2  

I've microwaved flaxseed meal before. I wonder why it isn't advised?
Golden Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:47 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girl
I've microwaved flaxseed meal before. I wonder why it isn't advised?
"Be sure to add ground flax to cooked foods at the table, not on the stove, as high heat will also destroy the integrity of the EFAs."
http://www.roex.com/Articles/Fats_the_right_kind.htm

I've read that microwaving destroys the integrity of the EFA's as well. If you're not using them for the benefits of the Omega 3 Fatty Acids and just simply for taste &/or texture, then it wouldn't matter if they were microwaved .
Old 12-19-2005, 03:11 AM   #4  

Very good read...thanks. Good to know that about the micro. I've just recieved info about eating a high protien diet for my GERD. It's so hard to go back to that but I know I felt better when I did. I love flaxmeal. Thanks for reminding me.
Golden Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 09:59 PM   #5  
on my way down again

Thank you so much for this recipe. It will be a nice change and also be filled up. I've never had or seen flax seed, but it sounds so good now. ~Sonny~
Sonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 07:13 PM   #6  

Sonny, I really like this recipe. I love my oatmeal and this really helps take care of that craving. I've seen loads of variations of this recipe. Some with oat bran, wheat bran, protein powder, SF flavorings (carmel, vanilla, etc), nutmeg - it can be anything you want it to be really LOL. I can't find any SF flavorings here, so sometimes use 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. I also tried it once with the protein powder, but it ended up being too sweet for me and really did nothing for the flavor to make the extra carbs worth it.

I changed my original post to hot water and not boiling/boiled water. Apparently boiled/boiling water can also alter the integrity of EFA's.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #7  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Another old thread bumped!

I just made this for hubby, and thought it tasted so good I made another for me. Could only manage ⅔ of the serving though. It's really filling!

My variation: I didn't have any sunflower seeds, so ground up a few walnuts instead, and they gave a really nice depth of flavour.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote