Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-18-2005, 05:20 PM   #1  
No Excuses/No Whining!

S/C/G: 333/263/185

Height: 5'7"

Default Goal Weight Question!!!

Hello Everyone!
I am 5'7" and a half with a Small bone structure. Ive looked all over at "goal weights" and "ideal body weights" and im a little confused as to what my goal should be, if the one ive set is unreasonable.
Back in high school, i was captain of the basketball team, i wanst skinny minney, but i was fit and looked pretty good. I was about 170 then. However, when i say 170 people think that is a little high, and in fact it in "ideal body weight" charts is overweight.

Im am looking for people of about my height and bone structure to share their goal weights, etc. Heck, if anyone knows anyone with my height.. etc.. im just looking for input from the "real world" and not the charts.
My long term goal at the moment is 150. But im much more focused on my Valentines day goal at the moment.. and then my under two-hundred goal!
Any and all comments, thoughts are appreciated.
supernurse_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 05:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 194/175.2/140

Height: 5'2"

Some people don't set goal weights. They just start living a healthier lifestyle, and let their bodies decide what weight to be at.
josie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 05:56 PM   #3  

150# is a good guess, which is what a goal weight should be: a guess. You can't possibly know what final weight you will be happy with at this point in time. My goal weight is based off of a guess as to what I will have to weigh to be able to see my abdominals (~10% bodyfat). Women should probably be in the 20-30% bodyfat range, and 150# will probably put you at the top of that range.

My wife is 5'6", medium frame, 22% body fat, and she weighs 126#. Of course she thinks she should weigh 110#, but her body disagrees.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:10 PM   #4  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

150 sounds like a good goal to me too. Im 5'8 & 3/4 Im shooting for 155.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:26 AM   #5  

I think the way you are doing it, setting little goals and then slightly larger ones (like shooting for 199) is the way to go, with a rough idea of where you want to be, but not getting hung up in it. At 5'4'' my goal weight is 140lbs, but this is the absolute highest end of the "weight charts", and my ideal goal according to charts is 125lbs, which I think is totally unrealistic for me.

You've got to remember body composition too, I have been doing weight training and some of my weight is lean body mass and we don't want that to go away!!! So I don't think I'll ever be 125, but as long as my bmi is within the healthy weight range, I'll be happy with that.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:25 AM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I have a very loose goal weight of 150. I'm 5'5, and having weighed over 300 pounds before, I know that being 150 will be amazing in comparison, so even if it's not the "ideal" according to charts, I know I will be ecstatic to be there. However, I may adjust my goal as I get closer. If I find that I feel and look good at 175 pounds, then heck, I'll stop at 175! It all depends on your body, your genes, your muscle mass, your lifestyle, your goals (do you want to be healthy or thin, fit or skinny?)...lots of factors. My suggestion is to just start living healthier and see where it takes you. Some can even start eating better and exercising more and not lose a pound, but still go down in size and be happier with their bodies. Charts and BMI don't take everything into consideration--they're usually based solely on height and weight, which is not really the best indicator of your health. Actually, according to BMI charts, Michael Jordan has been technically obese for much of his adult life
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:00 AM   #7  

Default Just go with the flow

Let your body tell you what your ideal weight is.
A little info about what happened to me in my own journey:
I have been maintaining for a few months, hovering around 150 (I'm 5'5") which is supposed to be the top of healthy for my height.
I had 150 in mind when I started, I would think "If I can just get to 150 I will be happy". Well, I did get there and it is good. I feel better than I did 80 or so pounds ago, and now I have some experience maintaining - so that is good too.
However, once I got here I realized I am still not satisfied. I plan to continue the journey in the new year. I have a goal in mind, maybe around 135 - but if at any time I feel that another weight is good, that is where I will stop.
My advice is just go with the flow, you will know it when you get there.
KTna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:21 AM   #8  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Hello supernurse!

I'm the same height as you (although I tell everyone I'm 5'8") and at the moment I'm whatever it says on my siggy (can't remember it in just lbs!) and I'm eventually aiming for 140, but I am quite muscular, so 154 is the next goal weight and I'll see what I look like when I get there!

FYI I could get away with staying at my current weight("healthy BMI 164), I look "normal" in clothes and everything's generally lookin good (apart from my legs, but they'll always be big), but I'd like to be "ripped" and just be one or two sizes smaller in clothes so I'm aiming for a little lower.

Like kykaree and others have said, it's good to set small goals and see what happens when you get to them. In my head and when I talk about things with my mum, 10 stone (140lbs) is always the "pie in the sky" figure and yes it would be lovely to get down to that, but I may look like a lollipop!

Whatever you choose, just making the decision to DO IT, never mind having your heart set on a number, is the most important decision!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:25 AM   #9  
Sick of Fat

S/C/G: 240/183/150

I do think that 150 is reasonable I wouldn't put too much thought into the charts and stuff. It's whatever your body thinks is its ideals weight, not what the scale reads in the end. Since you're tall then 170 may be a good weight for you, also since you were in basketball, it probably was muscle
sabriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:46 PM   #10  
She

This is a little late, but I’m new here and just stumbled across this post.

I’m also 5’7 with a small bone structure (pear shape, btw) and as of this morning I weigh 150.5 lbs. I’m wearing a slightly loose size 10 pant. At age 30, I am not fat, but I would like to be smaller.

Right now, my goal is set for 135 lbs, but I have no way of knowing if that number is where I will want to settle down. You see, I’ve been weight lifting for a few months now and am more interested in having a healthy fit body than a wafer thin form. Since muscle weighs more than fat (so to speak) and this is my first time lifting, I have no idea what to expect physique-wise when the scale reads 135. Generally speaking, I’m shooting to be a size 8 or 6.

I can tell you that from 140 lbs down, clothed I look really good as a “skinny-fat” person (someone who is slim but has no real muscle tone). In the past, I have been as low as 121 lbs. My hip bones were hinting at protruding just a little and my spine was pronounced to the touch. I was definitely too thin (aspiring for the Calvin Klein look). I was a size 8 at the time.

~Julie
She is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good point Julie .... I struggle with this too. Since what I'm after is what Mel calls "my ideal body' rather than looking toward a number, I stay kinda confused most of the time. I put the tracker in because it is 'some' measure. But I'm not sure. If I could be an awesome smooth size 3, I frankly wouldn't care how much I weighed.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:36 PM   #12  
Mom to an active 1 yr old

S/C/G: 175/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'8

I think 150 is reasonable also...it all depends on you. Two people can weigh the same and have the same height, but look very different. I am different, I am also 5'7 but I have a really small frame and I am shooting for 130-135...which I have been before.
Alaynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:30 AM   #13  
iwillmakeit

S/C/G: 205/173/110

Height: 5'4

Well, I am struggling with issue too. I am 5'4 and my current weight is 138.5 lbs. I've been struggling for the past couple of months. My scale is not moving even when I am trying everything I could. Well, my issue is that according to the BMI is that for my height 141 is the ideal weight. I want to have some fluctuation, so been 125 can give me some fluctuation. But how i feel is different question. I am feeling great in size 2, and I don't need to be smaller than 2. I've been size 14 and been size 2 is great actually. Its just I am not happy with the number, but happy with myself at the most time.
tsots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:34 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I've been thinking about this issue lately too. I'm 5'6, small framed, and a slight pear. I originally set my goal weight at 125, however at the time I just wanted to be skinny. Now I think I'm aiming for more of a fitness look than a swimsuit look. This would obviously raise my goal substantially. Something that confused even further is I did the body fat "test" in the body sculpting bible and according to it I have a lean body mass of 15X pounds. Which means at 10% body fat I would be upwards of 170 (I think?). I'm thinking something was off in the test because I don't see me being anywhere near my goal in only 35 pounds.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:21 AM   #15  
resident lactivist

You know, if you were fit and healthy at 170 in the past, you can be fit & healthy at 170 in the future. Ideal weights are just bloody useless. I am 5'5", and the "ideal" weight for my height ranges between 114 & 155, depending upon the source.

My preference is to go by a combo of body fat percentage & physical fitness, and weight be damned. There is some slight variance by age, but a good rule of thumb is between 20% & 30% is healthy. Please bote that this is somewhat independant of weight. Right now I'm 34 - 59 pounds overweight, depending upon whom you believe, but I've got a body fat percentage of 28%. Which is on the high end of healthy, but still healthy.

As a side note, my mother is 5'8", & her doctor told her she was just fine at 175. In fact, when she dipped below 160, he started worrying. (And she really did look frightfully thin too.)
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote