Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-14-2005, 04:39 PM   #1  

Default I Need To Vent!!!!!

Ok, here it goes... I have been trying to loose about 15lbs for the past several months. At work today one we got a HUGH "thank you for the hard work" basket to our team filled with chocolate and candy. AHHHHHHH! So I watched the team open it and all kinds of wonderful calorie filled goodies are taken out and like a pack of wild dogs started to open them up. A little while later on my way out to run some errands on my lunch I stoped by my managers desk and ate 2 jellybeans. No chocoate, no bon-bons, 2 jelly beans. Another co-worker was in there and all 110lbs of her was stuffing her face will all kinds of stuff turns and says to me: 'you shouldn't be in here eating this stuff with as much as you complain about being overweight'. At that point I just turned around and walked out b/c I didn't trust myself not to say something really mean to her since she herself has complained on many occassions about starting to gain weight. My question to you all is would you let this go or say something to her? I am really pissed off about it but I also have made a promise to myself NEVER to bring up my weight issues or how I'm feeling again... Any thoughts????
yogachick30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:43 PM   #2  
*meow*

Height: 5'7"

Wow, I can't believe you didn't slap her.... GOOD FOR YOU!!! That's will-power sweetie. Hang in there.

~jess~
JLynne126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:45 PM   #3  
LLV

Well, I have a habit of letting my mouth get me into trouble, so I probably would have said something. Knowing me I would have come back with, "Yeah? Well you keep eating that crap the way you are and pretty soon I'll be saying the same thing to YOU."

What a rude little... you know what.

Grrrrrrrrrr...
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:02 PM   #4  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLynne126
Wow, I can't believe you didn't slap her.... GOOD FOR YOU!!! That's will-power sweetie. Hang in there.

~jess~
I agree, it's probably best to just ignore people like that.

As for discussing weight issues, I've done the same thing in the past and found out the hard way that this is a really boring subject to most people, so I just keep it to myself. I don't volunteer information unless someone asks me.

People can be very insensitive.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:19 PM   #5  
hinky dink hopeful

S/C/G: 233/160/160

Height: 5'10"

that was very rude and you did really well to just walk away. there's no reason for you to descend to her level. she's obviously got her own issues.

when people give me advice on what not to eat i just smile politely and say "thank you for your concern" and continue eating the way i eat. (in your case i'd probably have taken another jelly bean. just because.)

in the end it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. you've got to eat in a way that you can live with. for me, that means having the occasional treat.

kristin
mehitabelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:34 PM   #6  
Opulent

I would have set her straight, telling her "Thanks for your concern! I agree, and I am leaving because the 2 jelly beans I ate are all I need. Good thing you're finishing up everything else for me!"
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/157/120

Height: 5' 2"

Good for you for not throwing the whole thing of jellybeans at her head. I think you did the right thing and you made the right decision not to discuss your weight issues again. Just stick to your goals and when you begin losing and people want to know what you are doing, just smile and don't discuss it. And next time she brings up her weight, don't acknowledge her, just dismiss her. I don't mean to sound hateful, but you have to protect yourself so that you can reach your goals. Good luck and don't give up!
Lainey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:47 PM   #8  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Good for you for not throwing the whole thing of jellybeans at her head.

I would have told her that what she said was rude and that she shouldn't talk to me that way again. Telling her that would have made me feel better and maybe stop her from behaving that way in the future.

People! Grr!
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:51 PM   #9  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

I think maybe I would have just given her a blank stare. Sometimes just looking at people when they know they've said something idiotic is enough. Good for you for not retorting with something back or doing something that could be potentially damaging. The same way your coworkers tore that apart like wild dogs is the same way they might be supportive one day, and turn on you with nasty comments the next. Just ignore her and you'll be much better off.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:07 AM   #10  

Default Thank you everyone!

I appreciate your comments and encouragment! I am trying to let it go but I have to deal with her ALL DAY LONG since she sits right next to me. I don't know if I should say something to her or just try to shrug it off... Thanks again!
Old 12-15-2005, 10:18 AM   #11  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Start commenting on what she eats... She should get the message!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:23 AM   #12  
gotta lose it!

Yoga.....karma is a wonderful. It will come back to her. Hopefully you will get to witness it. People say some really dumb, meaningless things. (((hugs))) to you for being the better person!
soon2Bfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:28 AM   #13  

I have noticed that when I make my eating habits public ( like to co-workers), some of them take it wrong. I find them commenting on whatever I eat. To the point of being very annoying. I can be eating a salad for 2 weeks for lunch, then one day if I have a grilled chicken sandwich they feel obligated to 'scold' me for it.
So at that point I realize that I should have never opened my mouth in the first place.
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:09 AM   #14  

I am sorry that that your co-workers "scold" you star for eating something different one day. I think that sometimes people point out things to you that they don't like about themselves so in essence they are projecting onto you. And yes karma is always working and no I don't even have to be there to see it. What goes around comes around and she'll get hers...
Old 12-15-2005, 05:34 PM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Wow . . . what a jerk your co-worker is. Or maybe we should call her a cow-orker. HAHAHA!!

Well, the time to say something was when she spoke to you, and now it might be a bit late. The hard part in any situation like that is that it seems like there are two choices: Blow them away, or walk away. There are other choices, and one is to look her in the eye, and say, without anger, "That seems so rude and hurtful. Why did you say that?" Because the fact is, she hurt your feelings. That's what she needs to know. Sometimes people just get so righteous they forget to treat others as they would like to be treated.

By the way, it was really brave of you to stop with 2 jelly beans. I would probably still be eating them if I had been there.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote