Old 12-15-2005, 09:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 312/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Default sabotaged!!!!!!

Dose anyone else have a Hubby who tries to sabotage your diet? When I first started back in June he would bring home sweets all the time especially the ones I love. Hes very jealous and insecure. But I did very well and resisted all the temptations. Yesterday we went xmas shopping and he bought hershey kisses filled with caramel, one of my favorites. I blew it when I got home and was wrapping presents I eat half the bag. I'm so bummed and angry at myself. But todays a new day right.
Id like to thank everyone who answered my "newbie" post you all made me feel very welcome.
Kelly
babyfattimes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 238/196/130

Height: 5'4"

Oh my! Yes, I have a husband like that. My husband is obese and loves to eat. Everytime I mention going on a diet he wants to eat out. I have tried to get us to do this together but he won't. He also has high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I told him he was a heart attack waiting to happen! But he won't listen to me. Sometimes I give in but here lately I have been doing better. I know it would be so much easier if he would do this with me but I have to do it for me. Sometimes I think that he thinks if I lose weight I might run off with someone else--how stupid! But I have made up my mind that regardless of what he does, I need, can, and will do this for me! Thank goodness my husband is not a big sweet lover because they are my downfall. He just loves to eat meat, potatoes, etc. So I am not tempted much with candy. But I keep a lot of Lean Cuisine meals at the house so I can eat those while he eats his fat loaded plate of potatoes, gravy, bread, etc. It hurts me that he does not care enough about himself to change but I know I can't change him. The only one I can change is me and I am working on that -- one day at a time and one pound at a time.

MAKE it a good day!
Betty925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:21 AM   #3  

Today IS a new day! My hubby was a saboteur at the beginning, but as I got stronger and more successful, he started to support me more and more. It was very difficult for him to make the switch. He does say and do stupid things still every now and then, like when I'm down suggesting fish and chips for tea, when that's the last thing I need. He doesn't get lectured though, a glare over the glasses normally does the trick!

It is frustrating when you are trying to do the right thing for your health, and as Betty says, the only person we can change is ourselves.

Hang in there and vent whenever you like!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:31 AM   #4  
One pound at a time...

I experience the sabotage from well meaning family members (*cough* Mom). She will say things like "One meal won't hurt you" etc., I think people are so used to seeing you one way, and then when you start to change, they have difficulty adjusting to it, especially when they need to lose weigh themselves.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Your friends and family fear change and when you start eating healthy and exercise they are afraid they will lose you. The next time he brings sweets and treats home throw them in the trash in front of him and tell him you appreciate the guesture but those won't help you on your road to health. I know it seems harsh but like you did last night leaving them in the house will set you up for eating them every time.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

My husband (also overweight) used to bring me sweets. Took a LONG time for him to get over that.

He felt threatened when I started this journey -- like I was going to make him change. Well, I had learned that wasn't going to happen. Like Betty, I realized I had to do it for me, and try to ignore his bad habits. That was a BIG key for me.

Lo and behold, 4 months and 40 pounds later, he joined me!! I actually had told him not to do it unless he really wanted to... things are a LOT easier around the house now.

It took a lot of little baby steps for HIM to get there, and he had to want to do each one...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:18 PM   #7  
Sick of Fat

S/C/G: 240/183/150

Luckily my husband hasn't done that! I think your husband means well.. he's just trying to be sweet I'd talk to him though!

And don't feel bad about yourself because you can always do better the next day, or the next meal You're still doing great!!
sabriena is offline   Reply With Quote