Old 12-14-2005, 01:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 312/174/150

Default Mountain Bikes

Does anyone have recommendations for a good bike? I plan to use it off road on trails and hope to find something somewhat *** friendly.
Burgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:16 PM   #2  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I LOVE my bike. I was all worried about being too heavy for one at 280, but I got the Trek Woman's 7100 and I LOVE it.

http://revolutioncycles.com/site/ite...=39&sort=Price

It is not a mountain bike, per se, but it has many of the mountain bike features. And because it's a comfort/hybrid bike, it has nice thick tires that don't make me feel like they'll pop just from me sitting on it. It has a more upright set to the handlebars than a racing bike would have.

And a nice, wide seat. *grins*
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:23 PM   #3  
Egy Kis Lany

If it's the seat you're concerned about...
if you end up buying a men's bike (they are more varied, that's for sure), they buy a separate WOMEN'S SADDLE!
I bought a 2005 Giant Yukon from a guy here at work (he upgraded to a road bike) and I absolutely love it now that I replaced the seat. Men have narrower butt bones than women, so I had a lot of pressure in bad places.
I got a Specialized Body Geometry seat for about $35.
Look around in bike stores and ask people who work there what they recommend...

Good luck!
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:32 PM   #4  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I love love love my bike. It's a Specialized Crossroads Women's Bike. It's got a wide seat and it's a hybrid so you sit more upright that forward. I think it's the best beginner bike on the market and has a great price (around $300).

Here's the website (you'll have to pick the USA before entering the site but then you'll see the bike): http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...080&spid=12385
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:35 PM   #5  

Thanks for all the suggestions! I hope to check them both out this weekend.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:30 PM   #6  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Just something to think about before you hit the bike store.....where do you really want to ride your bike? Are you getting a "mountain" bike because you will be riding bike trails and want to be able to occasionally ride the dirt edge or be safe on the shoulder of a road or just because it's more comfortable? If yes to these questions, then check out the hybrids (wide tires, slightly more upright bars in many models, the comfort of a mountain bike, reasonably priced compared to true off-road mountain bikes).

BUT! If you plan to ride some gnarly trails on this particular bike--really rough dirt--then you want a tried-and-true mountain bike and that will put you back a bit more on cost. Why? The frame is going to be put together differently (more robustly with the frame brazing (how it's fastened together), more robust shock features, etc., etc.

A hybrid bike will handle some trails, but you probably want to opt for one with tires that are more in the 2.25" range rather than a hybrid that is more street-bike looking (with tires that are narrower than a true mountain bike, but "chunkier" than). You should be able to find a good bike like this somewhere around $300.

I know I'm getting long here.....with your bike, you should get as absolutely basic: helmet, water bottle & cage (any decent bike store will throw a bottle and cage in for free--ASK), and a pump for the tires (that you can attach to the frame of the bike and take with you). If you're a handy person and think you can change a flat on the road, then get a patch kit and tire irons (to remove the tire). If you're brand new to cycling, you might skip that part because it can take a little practice to not only change the tire, but get the wheel lined up just right when you reattach it. So...in that case, ask the shop to recommend an "instant" solution or hey, go geeky and have them put in Mr. Tuffy tire liners (serious cyclists scoff at these, but since you're not exactly racing and counting every ounce, your big concern is just not getting stranded somewhere with a flat tire, right? )

If you can swing it, I recommend a small seat pack. It attaches under the seat and you can put your ID (always carry it!), some change/money, your car keys (when you take your bike to a special place for a ride!), kleenex, and any amount of oddments (mine always has a rescue inhaler in it).

OK...sorry for the long note. I just LOVE talking about cycling (duh).
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:36 PM   #7  

Well, I couldn't wait until the weekend, so my husband and I checked out bikes last night. I did opt for the hybrid and purchased the Trek 7200. My husband has a true "mountain" bike, so that is why I assumed I needed one. But we will stick to bike trails mostly so the hybrid seemed to fit my needs.

I realized the women's bikes (including Jessica's specialized) didn't fit me very well with my height, so I went with men's styles. I got the 20" frame on the Trek and it fit perfectly. Although when they adjusted the seat, it seems so high compared to what I am used to riding. I guess the old way of sitting on your seat and being able to put your feet on the ground is not an efficient riding position and show how long it has been since I rode.

We tried to get them to throw in the helmet, but no luck. But I did get a water bottle and cage thrown in. I get 2 free services...they recommended one in 30-60 days depending on how often I ride to check gears and fit, then another appt a year or so from now. The components on the 7200 seem great, so I don't expect problems. I can also go to a 3 hours free class to learn how to maintain the bike.

Thanks again for all the helpful feedback!!
Old 12-16-2005, 10:07 PM   #8  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Burgie! How exciting! I have a trek too (a borderline hybrid/mtn bike--I can take it on the dirt trails, but wouldn't do anything gnarly with it). You're gonna have SO MUCH FUN :-) Getting the two services is good. Usually your cables (brakes and gears) stretch a bit with use so that's why the first one is in the 1-2 month time frame (depending on how much you ride it). The bike should be pretty well settled in by then. I always feel so independent when I load up for a day's trip on my mountain bike (I'm lucky--there are some great "rail trails" around here so...it's dirt, it's away from roads, but the grades on the climbs are really manageable). I bought a set of rear packs for mine and I'll cart tons of water, a book, lunch, etc. (the thing ways a ton when I head out LOL) and just take off for a day. It's a great STRONG feeling
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 05:54 PM   #9  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Wooo! Yay for new bikes! I'm 5'9" but I have a very long torso. My good friend is 6' but when we sit next to eachother, I look taller because her torso is much shorter. My specialized fits my long torso but she had to go with a different style. Weird how we're all built so different.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote