Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-13-2005, 01:22 PM   #1  
iwillmakeit

S/C/G: 205/173/110

Height: 5'4

Unhappy Excuses, excuses, excuses!!!

Its me again. Well, yesterday started so well. I went out to run and came back and had my healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then I went to class and got really hungry. Girl who sits next to me brought some cheeseburger and french fries during the break didn't help much. So, after class I came home thinking I wasn't going to eat anything, well guess what it didn't happen. I end up eating, and chose not to feel guilty. I am so tired of feeling guilty, and it may sound like lame excuse. So, I decided to enjoy it, and worry about it later.
Well, it seems that my thing is that I was much stricter before. But closer I am to my goal, the less stricter I am. I give myself excuses like well I've worked so hard, so I deserve this... etc. Does anyone get that feeling. I am started to think that I am sabotaging myself.
I am working out so hard and eating right and still doesn't lose anything, so its depressing.
What time do you guys eat your dinner? I am sure its different for everyone, but I would like to see how others are doing. It may sound crazy, but I tend to eat my dinner before 2 p.m. Well, I haven't been doing it that long. I developed fear about month ago that if I eat late then I am not going to lose my weight... Need help desperatly. I used to eat my dinner around 4:30 or 5 and did alright. But now it seems to me its so late. I exercise around 3-4 pm, so I eat before I go out for that. I feel like if I eat after exercise then the exercise won't have any effect... etc. It just boils down to the fear of not losing, but I think it just leads to overeating right now. I've been doing so good until now. What should I do? Please help!!!

Last edited by tsots; 12-13-2005 at 01:28 PM.
tsots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:17 PM   #2  

I'm having the same issues you are. I think that a part of my brain is simply sick and tired of dieting. Right now I'm in a cycle where I keep losing and gaining the same 3 pounds over and over again.

I don't know a good way to curb it. I know that I've been making some unhealthy choices, but at the time I make them I don't really care. I don't want to go back to my old way of eating or life, for sure though.

I'm just taking this as an adjustment period. It's so much better to be hovering where I am than I was when I started. I'm just going to do the best I can, and know that it will turn around sooner or later.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:42 PM   #3  

It's definitely tricky, especially when you think, "Oh, I've been so good and deprived myself for so long; I deserve to treat myself!" This is normal and I'm happy that you're not beating yourself up about it so much! I think the more we eat well, the easier it is to get back on the horse and just put a bad day behind us (mine was Sunday but so far I haven't fallen back off!).

I used to live in France and over there, people eat dinner around 8 pm (and they're so slim!). This works for me and it helps me avoid snacking at night, since I already know I'm going to get to eat my whole dinner. I've read that there's no proof that eating late will sabotage weight loss, so I wouldn't worry about it. It can interfere with your sleep, though. Just find what works for you and don't worry about what you're "supposed" to do! Keep at it; you'lre doing great!
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:50 PM   #4  
hinky dink hopeful

S/C/G: 233/160/160

Height: 5'10"

yeah, i'm finding it harder to be strict than i used to. i always allowed myself treats, but i seem to want them more often these days.

i don't get out of work until 6 pm and then i exercise, so dinner is usually around 8 or 9 pm. i couldn't have my last meal at 2 pm, there's too much of the day left and i'd get too hungry. i generally eat something every 2 - 3 hours. but everyone is different and you have to find what works for you.

kristin
mehitabelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:10 PM   #5  

First problem - diets don't work. Lifestyle changes do. You have to come up with a way to eat for the rest of your life or the weight will come back on. Personally, I don't buy into the deprevation thing. I CHOOSE to have or not have something. Once you get over eating cookines, greasy burgers and fries, etc. (takes about 3 weeks), the desire for them goes away and they don't taste good when you do have them. I chose a healthier lifestyle and don't look back.
I eat 6 times a day - three meals and 3 snacks at 6 am, 9 am noon, 3 pm, 6 pm and 9 pm. Keeps my metabolism running and me feeling full and satisfied.

Good luck!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:52 PM   #6  
iwillmakeit

Thanks guys for your advice and support. It makes to think and change some of the things that I might be doing wrong. I think I should change my eating schedule. I think eating too early is making me feel more hungry at night. What do you guys usually eat. Any good low calorie recipes. It seems everyone is doing great. if you have any good suggestions of good low calorie snacks and meals, please let me know. I think I should change up my meals and snacks too. Thanks again!!!

Old 12-13-2005, 09:02 PM   #7  
LLV

I've lost almost 80 pounds (with approx. 10 more to go) and I eat late at night, every night. I don't mean 8 or 9 late, I mean 10 or 11. It hasn't affected me in the slightlest, as long as I pick healthy foods. Your body will process the food the same at 11pm as is does at 11am. It doesn't know the difference.

If I'm hungry at night, which I usually am, I don't sit there and starve to death - I eat. As long as whatever I eat is part of my calorie intake for the day. The reason I include late-night eating into my daily calories is because I know I'm going to do it anyway. That's one area where I lose willpower, eating at night. I HATE going to bed hungry. So I don't. I 'plan' whatever I'm going to eat and include it into my calories for the day and forget about it
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:43 AM   #8  

i think i read in this book "body for life" that it is actually better to eat right after you go to te gym, it wont affect the excersice that u have done. 2p.m. is nowhere near dinner for most people, that explains you getting hungry at night... i personally think its a little too extreme of a measure to have your dinner before 2 p.m. and exceses dont work either (its better to have a routine that you could keep for a long time and that you enjoy, and thats doesnt cause so much stress)...at least thats what i think.
Miss B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

LLV -- I snack late at night too! And I include it in my plan for the day!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:31 AM   #10  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn
LLV -- I snack late at night too! And I include it in my plan for the day!
I don't know how true this is, but I read on a nutrition website once that eating late at night is actually a good thing to do (as long as you eat healthy, I'm not talking pizza and potato chips) because it keeps your metabolism churning longer. While you sleep.

Makes sense, I suppose.

It takes calories to burn calories.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:43 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

hmmm... my late evening snacks tend to be my one indulgence food of the day. Sometimes it's fruit (love pineapple in the evening), but sometimes an ounce of chips! Ah well. I expect that someday I'll try harder to tackle that issue, but I've made a lot of changes and am losing, so, not yet!

It does make sense that we should keep our metabolism going even into the evening, but there seems to be so much info floating around about what we should and shouldn't do... anyone else get a headache trying to make sense of all of it?
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:15 PM   #12  
LLV

Quote:
hmmm... my late evening snacks tend to be my one indulgence food of the day. Sometimes it's fruit (love pineapple in the evening), but sometimes an ounce of chips! Ah well. I expect that someday I'll try harder to tackle that issue, but I've made a lot of changes and am losing, so, not yet!
Exactly. And hey, the point is you're measuring your chips. You're having an ounce instead of a whole bag. Like *I* used to do, lol.

There's no law that says we have to go the rest of our lives without chips, daggone it!

Quote:
It does make sense that we should keep our metabolism going even into the evening, but there seems to be so much info floating around about what we should and shouldn't do... anyone else get a headache trying to make sense of all of it?
I used to, but I don't anymore because I've found my own balance and just do things my own way. I've had people say to me, "You know, you really shouldn't eat at night because the food just sits there," or, "I never eat past 7pm because it's bad for me."

Phooey on that. Your body processes the food the same way regardless of what time it's eaten. And especially if you exercise, your metabolism stays charged throughout the day and it's still going to burn that food. It will NOT just sit there and fester and put 3 pounds on your hips.

I've had several people, who have known me a long time and saw how heavy I used to be, say things like, "Wow, you must stop eating past a certain time of the day, what do you do when you get hungry at night?" And I say, "I eat."

Old 12-14-2005, 02:15 PM   #13  
iwillmakeit

It is so great to hear from you ladies. There are so many great advices that made me think again about my eating. So, I'm going to start to eat throughout the day. I think it would be much more effective than my old ways. I found some articles online and it said it doesn't influence weight loss if you eat late. And more than that I know it works because of LLV's postings and looking at how much she lost so far. So, thanks to you ladies!!!

Last edited by tsots; 12-14-2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:21 PM   #14  
LLV

No, it hasn't influenced mine at all. However, whatever I eat at night is always counted in with my calories for the day, so it's not like I mindlessly eat whatever I want

Everyone has their own balance. Some people, by choice, stop eating past a certain time of the day. And that's fine for them if that's what works. Because I've heard of some that are always up a little on the scale the next day if they eat late at night. Now, of course, it's probably only water weight, but to them it's still discouraging to see. So for their own peace of mind, they don't eat anything after dinner. And that's fine for them
Old 12-14-2005, 05:32 PM   #15  
iwillmakeit

I am 5'4 and 138lbs. I try to eat about 1000 calories a day. Do you guys think its reasonable amount. Suggestions!!!

Last edited by tsots; 12-14-2005 at 05:46 PM.