Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-06-2005, 08:29 PM   #1  

Default Another new chick!

Hi everyone,

I'm so glad to have found this forum, you all seem really supportive. I had my surgery on October 25, 2005 and had some complications. I had a leak and I had to go back under 2 days later to get a drain and a feeding tube. That really sucked. Particularly when I went back to work with my feeding tube.

I'm doing a lot better now. I'm still on the restricted diet of mostly liquids and mush. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow and hopefully I'll be moving on to more things in my diet. One thing I've been noticing is that I am burbing all the time. It doesn't matter if I'm drinking my water, or what I'm eating, I'm constantly burbing. It's getting really annoying. Has this happened to anyone else out there? What have you done to relieve the burbing?

Also, I made the mistake of going out with friends about a week ago and having some refired beans. It was on my list of things I could have, but it had some cheese on it. I just had a couple of bites and threw up. Has anyone else had this kind of reaction to cheese? Were you ever able to eat cheese again?
invisigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:32 PM   #2  
MakingChanges...

invisigoth ! I am new to the board as well, but I have met alot of wonderful and VERY supportive people here! Not to mention all the great advice and info I have gotten from this board. I'm sure you will find it very helpful in your weight loss journey!

Im not sure what type surgery you are talking about, but .. sorry to hear you are having some problems from it. I am assuming that its the gastro-something something bypass surgery, where they make your stomach smaller. I apologize for the lack of technical terminology on it .. let me know how it goes. My brother and myself have both considered having this done. We worked with a lady who did have this procedure done and she lost ALOT of weight. She did, however, have alot of complications from it, which is what deterred us from having it done. I don't mean to scare you, because I have heard of cases where this procedure has been very safe and successful... which I hope is the case for you! As far as the problems you have been experiencing .. maybe try to google the procedure and see if thre is any information on the net that may help you!

Well, Good Luck, and remember, we are all here for you!
Rayne33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:54 PM   #3  
unemployed karma fairy

S/C/G: 245/146/149

Height: 5'5"

Hi Invisigoth (love the name!). I'm also a newbie, just signed up a couple of days ago. I recently had a proximal RNY by lap on November 18th, and luckily, no complications. I was on solid food by day 5 post-op.

I have just the opposite problem as you...I only *wish* I could burp! I keep getting this pressure just above my pouch that feels like an air bubble that wants to come up, and if I could only burp, the pressure would be relieved. Now, if I were my children or my husband who can *all* burp on demand, I wouldn't have a problem Unfortunately, I can't. So I sit there and breathe heavily until it decides to poof out. Honestly, if I could only get someone to put me over their shoulder and burp me, that would be great!

From what others have told me, your tastes and what you can tolerate can change from moment to moment with this surgery. I notice that a lot. It seems like one moment I can tolerate cheese, and the next minute it makes me queasy. Everyday it seems like I'm trying to find something new to eat, because even things I liked the day before just don't appeal to me. Anyway, I never had this problem before, and although it's not necessarily pleasant, it's definitely an effective behavior modification.

Nice to meet you.
indigo child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:27 AM   #4  

Hello, I had surgery 10/03/2005. I havent gotten sick yet but was told my time would come. I had a small set back as well. My wound opened back up and I was at home for 5 weeks with a wound vac to help the healing process. I didnt have any probs with cheese. I couldnt eat black eyed peas or chocolate pudding (sugarfree fat free) that I make. seems to make me a little sick to my stomache. I have a few friends that have had this done and they have no cravings for things they used to like or somethings they liked makes them ill to this day and its been over a year. So, you will just have to test drive some of the foods and see. But do exactly what the doc and the nutritionist tells you.. they will help alot. Let the doc know whats not working for you and maybe they can give you some suggestions on what you can do or how you can introduce those things back into your diet. I havent yet been as brave as you have to go out and eat. Ive been only eating my stuff at home. as Im afraid there is soemthing mixed with the foods that Im not supposed to have. . Im just a worrier as its only been 60days into my surgery.. Ive upgraded since my last visit. I can eat the chicken and turkey out of the can with a bit of light mayo. and some triskets. or half of a wheat toast. OH yeah.. and boca burgers. Im actuallly starting to like them.. Just make sure you do what the docs says.. it will all work out... best wishes to you . hope to talk to you soon..
JustPeachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:30 AM   #5  

Oh yeah.. sorry I was just running at the mouth.. and forgot to add
I burp all the time.. LOL when Im at home.. I let them go.. but at work a bit quieter.. Im not sure if there is really any thing you can do to stop it. but I never had this prob until after the Surgery.. so its Normal Im just not sure what can be done .. I will say though that its gotten a little better.. so prob better with time..
Good luck with every thing.. have a great day ..

Peechie
JustPeachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:48 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

hi ladies!!! so nice to meet you, goth!

now, about the burping. i found that if i didn't pay attention, i swallowed a lot of air while i was eating - and it came out in the form of burping. AND, if i tried to carry on a conversation while eating, i swallowed even MORE air, and often had to run for the bathroom, if you know what i mean.

so my best suggestion is to slow down while you're eating. put the fork or spoon down between bites. leave the utensils on the table if you want to say something. it's all a grand adventure, but it'll be ok. i promise. pinkie swear, no less!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:09 PM   #7  
Pending Email Confirmation

Welcome to the forum! congrats on your surgery and good luck with your appointment!
Mazarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:39 PM   #8  

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone. I saw my doctor last week and so far, everything is looking good. I've lost 53 pounds so far. Yeah! My doctor said I could start trying new things, but that they should still be relatively mushy. Ever since my "refried beans" incident, I am afraid to try things. I haven't had any milk products since then, and I think it will be a very long time before I try any again.

Does anyone have any good and easy crockpot recipes? I've got a crockpot I've never used and little time to make dinner. I've mostly been sticking to canned soups.
invisigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:55 PM   #9  

Indi, the difficulty burping is probably due to the density of the food you eat and the way it moves through 'the hole'. Once it starts to move you'll get the relief. In fact for me, I know if I can't burp when I get that pain I have to throw it back up or I'll suffer for a long time. I'm very careful about mixing textures (we spoke about this earlier) so it isn't too much dense food trying to move through at one time.

The constant burping on the other hand, may be because you aren't getting enough density to your food and some fibre would possibly help. Try adding some psyllium husk to your protein shakes. Not too much, a teaspoon in a shake is plenty for starters. Have you had a scope to see if things are ok on the inside since your having to go back under for the repair? I would definitely let the doctor/nutritionist know of this problem.
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:55 PM   #10  
unemployed karma fairy

S/C/G: 245/146/149

Height: 5'5"

Hubs! Thanks! And welcome!

Yes, I notice I don't get it if I mix my meats with a little mashed potatoes or some other sauce or gravy, I don't seem to get the "stuck" feeling. But I'm starting to do as you do...as soon as I do, it's not even that I *want* to puke it up, it's almost like an automatic thing...like body says, "not this again" and if I'm not near a restroom, I'm s*** out of luck.
indigo child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:35 PM   #11  

Yeah, you'll get used to it. Sometimes the problem is your esophagus is full too and you've swallowed about 2 bites more than your stomach can handle. The trick is to go real, real slow and leave some time between bites. Take forever and a day to chew each bite to give it time to get to your stomach so you can recognize fullness sooner rather than too late.

My first friend in real life who had her surgery about 2 years before I did kept a puke pot beside her toilet all the time. We also ran a restaurant and she kept one there too. But she never learned to back off and she puked at least once a day. She lost about 200 pounds initially, and last time I saw her she was back up to about 250. She was also the most food obsessed person I ever knew and she never dealt with those issues.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome. I've been a lurker for years... and I'm discovering that even though I'm a poster child for failed WLS the fact is that I still live with this and I know how it works lol.
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote