Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-12-2005, 11:21 AM   #1  
Emily

Default Objective opinions, please

I hate times like yesterday, that linger on to today. I'm looking for an objective opinion on why I have these slumps.

On Sunday I woke up fine. I'd been eating well for eight days. I'd spent the day shopping on Saturday with my daughter and all seemed well, then I drank too much on Saturday night.

On Sunday, after reading the paper, I just got in a slump and couldn't get out. I told myself I was fat, and ugly and no one will ever want me (I'm divorced). I told myself my life is uninteresting, that I'll be in this job for the next 20 years (I'm a newspaper editor) and blah, blah, blah. Then I start to eat. And eat I did.

Most of the time I tell myself good things. But at times I just get gripped with thoughts of a bleak future.

How do I avoid these times? Do you all get them too? If so, how to you cope so NOT to eat. I have always dealt with days like this, and I want to learn how to not eat out of sadness or fear of the future. It usually hits on the weekends or nights. I'm normally too swamped during the day.

Here's to climbing out of the blahs today
Emily
MOWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Do you think it might have anything to do with drinking a lot Saturday night?

We all feel like that sometimes. I'm trying to teach myself to do something positive rather than eat. I try to work out or take a walk or do something for me when I feel like that. But it's hard -- I find I actually have a conversation with myself in my head!

Good luck coming out of the blahs!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:27 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Yeah I get slumps like that, but the next day I get back on the horse and get back to healthy eating. Sh*t happens! As long as it doesn't happen too often you'll be ok! One day of stuffing your face won't delay you too much.

2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:35 AM   #4  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Hi Emily

First, I'm sorry you had such a cruddy day yesterday . And second, I can definitely relate to resorting to food when things get tough. I have a LONG history of doing that -- going all the way back to seventh grade when I went home everyday feeling really depressed and made myself 2 bagels with loads of butter and garlic. That was everyday for a YEAR. And the habit continued into college. Fight with my boyfriend? Eat a bag of Doritos. When I was a teacher...hideous day at work? Order a whole large pepperoni pizza and eat it myself in about 10 minutes flat.

I've found that breaking my EMOTIONAL bond with food has been the absolute toughest thing (even tougher than getting on the evil elliptical 3 days a week). I find that when I'm depressed, sad, lonely, or tired, the urge to eat bucket-loads of horrendous foods is worse.

It happened to me last night, actually (must have been the full moon because we BOTH felt that way ). But the strangest thing was that I wasn't depressed/lonely/tired...I think I was just BORED. I was sitting on the couch watching a movie thinking, "I wanna eat something." But I wasn't hungry! And yet I ate, the whole time thinking, "What am I DOING?" It started with baby carrots and then spiralled into about five 100 Calorie packs of Cheez-Its. NOT good.

I'm babbling now...but the point is that I can relate. The emotional "need" to eat for me is sometimes absolutely overpowering. I've won the battle more often than not by talking myself out of it...but I still have what I consider binges from time to time. And honestly, I think it's just sheer WILL that we need to cling to. It is SO hard. Sometimes you'll give in, sometimes you won't; but hopefully the times you win will begin to be more frequent.

As for what you ate yesterday, it's over. Done. Forget it even happened. If you start beating yourself up about it, you'll get discouraged. And being discouraged is a very dangerous place to be when you're fighting the war on food.

Good luck -- you can do this, Emily!
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:47 PM   #5  

Default Me too!

Boy, it seems like everyone was struggling last night! I was doing fine and had been for a week when a friend cancelled plans last night. I was BORED (this is my biggest trigger to overeat) and I just decided to eat junk food. I didn't get too out of control but I was still angry at myself because I have been doing a lot better with battling these urges; I really didn't want to give in.

But I agree with what everyone says here: it's over and done with so forget about it and move on! Today is the beginning of a healthy week for all of us; I can feel it! A co-worker just brought in a big plate of buttery Christmas cookies and I didn't eat one so I know the will power is in me somewhere! Good luck to everyone this week!

Ann
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:31 PM   #6  
Emily

Thanks ladies. I find that my self talk is key for me. Most days I tell myself loving things, but sometimes I don't. And yes, I do think drinking too much is really bad and it can help me into my funks.
Smiles,
Emily
MOWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:49 PM   #7  
Jennifer

That is amazing about yesterday. I could not resist the christmas candy at work, then I was mad at my self and went to taco bell. But everyone is right yesterday is gone and today is here. I think as a society we are ingrained to use food to make us feel better. I remember when my dog died when i was a kid. My dad took me to get an ice cream cone while we talked about it. We associate "good times" with food. Some of the good memories I have I can tell you excatly what there was to eat. Anyway Emile, pick your self back up and start again. By the way I think a newspaper editor is a cool job!! I have always wanted to do something like that.
AlaskaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:52 PM   #8  

You know what I do now when I get into a funk instead of eat.... TAKE A NAP!!!! When I wake up I forget what I was upset about in the first place.
luvshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:54 PM   #9  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Exclamation Me too!

Okay - what's going on? I ate everything in site yesterday evening too! ???

I just felt lazy and tired and kept eating even though I really wasn't hungry! I finally made some chicken and vegetable soup and ate that in the evening and today I've felt better.
icmethinner is offline   Reply With Quote