Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-08-2005, 02:35 PM   #1  
I choose

Default Why do I do this?

Didn't eat anything till 11:30 am today (other than drinking coffee). I was starving, of course. I didn't skip eating on purpose - just got caught by work stuff. But I found myself feeling a little proud nonetheless, and relieved because the scale is bound to go down after this. And sometimes, I do "forget on purpose" - I'll literally be too lazy to get up, get my food, and heat it. Or I'll test myself by seeing how long I can go without eating.

These are not healthy thought patterns. If left unchecked, they add up to a potential eating disorder.

So why do I do it?
ShannonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:20 PM   #2  
Collie Mommie

Maybe because you are getting close to goal and you just really want to be there already? But at least you recognize what you are doing, and by acknowledging it you are giving yourself the opportunity to correct your behaviors.
Congrats on your weight loss so far, by the way.
MTHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:09 PM   #3  

That's a really good question.

I believe you actually answered your own question though. You appear to be testing your will power, and it feels good knowing that YOU are in control of your body.

You are correct that this is not a good idea though. If you do this too much, your body will actually begin to store the food you eat as fat. This is to allow you to go without food for a longer period of time.

There are some more scary facts about starvation diets, that I can get into. For now I will leave it with that.
Goal_174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:22 PM   #4  
I choose

Worse - if I do it too much, my body will start eating muscle for fuel, which can permanently impair my fat-burning ability.

See, that's the thing. I know all about the dangers of eating this way. Besides, I lift weights, and weight trainers are usually more judicious than most about guarding their hard-earned muscle mass.

So...? A combination of control issues and impatience, maybe? I think you guys are right.
ShannonM is offline   Reply With Quote