General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 08:44 PM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default Prevention Millennium Diet #66

Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed 42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine

Here is the website address for the Prevention Millennium Diet.

http://www.prevention.com/2000/diet/index.html

This is not necessarily a vegetarian diet. The guidelines summarized above are just that. In interpreting the guidelines, it is helpful to read the sample menus on the website as well as the more detailed principals of the diet.
Old 08-28-2001, 05:34 PM   #2  
Chick

Default Hi!

the end of a hectic day - almost anyway! I was able to start the new thread but not reply to the new thread from home ARGGHHH! But anyway..

So good to hear from you Lana and Judi. PEI - D, my mother and I watch the Anne of Green Gables videos once a year, sometimes even on Christmas because we just love them so much. It must be the most beautiful place. So glad you got to go there and have a wonderful time.

Judi, jealous, jealous, jealous, of your travels you go to the coolest places. Sounds like the life to me. Glad you got to soak up some rays.

Actually I need to get back to work but I just wanted to say hi and that it is so good to hear from you all.

Exercise going great, food good. Still feel as though I am in a good place with that part of life. Hoping to hang on to it.

Hi to shebacat - I have some kitty stories when I have more time. Hope your kitty is feeling better.
Old 08-29-2001, 06:09 AM   #3  

Good morning everyone!

Glad to hear you are rocking along Ledom. I am going to start exercising today and try to keep at it. It was my one and only New Year's resolution which I haven't done well with. The weather is perfect for walking. Cool and fall like. SO there is no excuse at all.

I have been feeling a bit tired since I have been home. Fun is tiring, I guess.

Last night the kids came and dropped off Bentley. Is he ever cute. He is going to visit for five days.

I was interested to read the other thread about "40 points" and how the weight was lost at that. That is a quite a bit of food. I am going to try it and see if it will work for me.

3lbs of the 5lbs is still gone, I don't know if the diff is in the two scales or I gained back two.

Hope everything is going well for you all!
Old 08-30-2001, 12:01 PM   #4  

Default Hello!

I haven't posted in awhile because I had nothing to say. Things are still awful with my eating habits. Hopefully I will get some motivation soon! I have started walking again now that the weather is cool, it's in the 70's and fall is in the air. I take Lacee and she creates quite a challenge. My arms get a good workout too!

Ledom~Have you been on anymore kayak trips? I can't wait to take the canoe out this fall. Usually the lake is just like glass in the early morning, plus there will be nobody around.

Judi~How are all the doggies? Is Bentley the new puppy? I also thought that thread about 40 pts. sounded interesting. I think I will try it also. I have just got to do something! I think I will start it tomorrow. Tonight we are going out with some friends of our's and one of my cousins to an un-diet meal of fried clams. The restaurant will be closing for the fall & winter this coming Sun., and we want to get our last feed until next spring.

Shebacat~Is your kitty sick? I hope she is doing better. Is this the kitty that was sick sometime ago?

Take care. Alice
Old 08-30-2001, 05:26 PM   #5  

Default Hey, Alice!

Yes, Bentley is the new puppy. He is here for 5 days ... he is a clown. Mr. Marley's nose is out of joint though. I am kept BUSY with a geriatric dog and a puppy and another dog who feels he has to siganature everything because the boundaries have been misunderstood.

Yes, that 40 points does look good. I think I want to try it too. I am sure with exercise everyday it woud work.

Have any of you girls tried the BOCA "grillers"...I swear, it tastes like the real thing only way less calories and fat? I brought back packages of the stuff.

Alice, is Lacee still to young to walk on a lead? Bentley's feet can't touch grass until he gets his last Parvol shot. My D. said he was paper trained but it looks more like he is rug trained to me
Old 08-31-2001, 10:12 AM   #6  

Default Hi!

judi~I have started counting points today. I haven't exercised because it is awfully humid. We are supposed to get some showers & T/storms most of the day. Yes, I love the grilled BOCA burgers. I bought a pkg. of the roasted onion flavor and it was delicious. DH doesn't care for them so a package lasts me quite awhile. I like to put some fat-free cheese, sauteed peppers & onions on them. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it! I am trying to teach Lacee to walk on a lead, and she is getting better. She will be 9 mos. in a couple of weeks. Poor Marley I am sure his nose is out of joint. How is he doing? I got a good chuckle out of your other dog covering. Many years ago, DH & I had 2 Boston Terries at one time. Everytime they would go outside to do their "duties" they would see how many times they could "cover" each other's boundaries.
Is Monday a holiday in Canada too?

ledom & shebacat I hope that you have a great holiday weekend.

Take care. Alice
Old 08-31-2001, 10:25 AM   #7  
Chick

Default Hey Girls,

Alice, it's so good to have you back in the fold. It sounds like you are ready to roll with getting back with your program. Good for you. Wish I could load my kayak up and come paddle on your lake with you. It sounds beautiful. I think prime paddling weather is here, or just around the corner anyway. I have two camping/kayaking trips planned between now the first of Oct. as well as a couple of day paddles planned. Hopefully there will be time for some solo outings as well. I really enjoy those because I take my journal, my lunch, and really get some good thinking done. Small thrill, but I submitted a trip report as well as 3 photographs to the state paddling newsletter and when it came yesterday, they had used everything I sent. That was fun.

Got up for my video this morning. I added 5 lbs. to my barbell and it was really tough, but I made it through and it will be easier next time. Also, last night I did floor exercises. I have to be more vigilent with my diet, the last couple of days I have had social, eating out at restaurant occasions, that wreaked havoc; but still I didn't go off the deep end. I want to do some really clean eating for a spell now.

Have a lovely Labor Day Weekend to all of you.
Old 09-01-2001, 08:01 PM   #8  

Default Happy Labor Day!

Hi ladies,

It looks like everyone is doing good. I had a stomach virus last week, and am just now feeling my normal self. I really hate being sick...all I did was sleep for a whole day. The next day I was in a training class. After I got home, I went to bed and slept until the next morning. The only good thing is that I'm completely rested.

Judi....I'm jealous too. What a great trip and now you're experiencing fall weather. I do have to say though that it has not been that bad of a summer down here. I'm sure Ledom would agree with me that it was nothing like last year.

Alice....yes, this is my one any only child that I have. She is better this week because she is interacting with me a little more, and she is using the litter box again. Yes, the ongoing problem I have. I'm still not sure what is wrong with her, but I think I'll take her back to the vet next week. I have given her a couple of IVs of fluid the past week or so.

Ledom....can't wait for the cat stories! Where are your kayak trips planned for? How's school now that it's started. Hope things have slowed down a little for you.

Hope everyone has a great holiday, and talk to ya'll later!
Old 09-03-2001, 11:26 AM   #9  

Default Hi Alice, Ledom & Shebacat

Morning girls, did you all have a nice labour day weekend?

It was pretty dog oriented here. The kids are coming over this morning to pick up Bentley, they are back a day early...they missed him. We will miss him when he goes, all except Marley who has chosen to spend ALL his time upstairs on the bed or out on the front deck.

Good for you Ledom, adding 5 lbs to your barbell. Wow, you are so good in the exercise dept. I wish I would take a page out of your book.

Sorry to hear you had a stomach virus Shebacat. How is the kitty feeling?

Tomorrow everything is back to normal so I will be on the diet bandwagon. Though this weekend wasn't too bad food wise. I did do a lot of walking yesterday. It is easier now that the weather is cooler.
Old 09-04-2001, 10:07 AM   #10  

Default Hi!

I hope you all had a great holiday weekend. I had a wonderful weekend. The majority of summer people have left and it is nice to have our peace & quiet back again. We will have a lull before the leaf-peepers come in droves.

ledom~That's super adding 5 lb. to your barbell. Your body composition must be changing. I wish I could be as dedicated as you are.

judi~I am with you, now that the weekend is over with I am very seriously getting back to dieting. DH & I walked yesterday with Lacee. I don't know if it was because she's not used to having "Daddy" around, but she was such a brat on the leash. We met some elderly ladies who thought that Lacee was soooo cute! I was ready to hand one of them the leash and tell her to take the dog.

shebacat~I'm sorry that you have been ill. I hope that you and your kitty are feeling much better.

Take care. Alice
Old 09-04-2001, 12:29 PM   #11  
Chick

Default Hey there,

Alice, Lana, Judi, Shebacat, Mrs. Jim (?),

I am so frutrated about not being able to post from home. When I am at work it is hard to find time for a decent post, but I do have a minute now so I'll not waste it all complaining!

Everyone sounds as if they are headed into Fall with a good resolve. I wish I was as dedicated to my diet as I am to exercise, but exercise just makes me feel so good. Today I am wearing a black Jackie O type sheath/shift dress. Formfitting and slightly above the knee. I can't decide if I look fabulous or horrible. Probably somewhere in between, but I do feel in shape. Otherwise I wouldn't have dared.

Kitty stories, toward the end of summer break D and I started feeling guilty that our cats never got to go outside. We started taking them out for little supervised exercise sessions. Well, they got a taste of that and they just wreaked totall havoc on the house until I finally decided they could stay outside, unsupervised, during the day. We live on a quiet street, and so far they seem happy to stay in the backyard. Hopefully they will be safe, but I couldn't deal with how badly they behaved until they got their way. Talk about regressing!

I got out for a short kayak tour on Sunday, the rest of the holiday was pretty ho-hum. Just stayed at home, but it was nice to be at home.

Take care all.
Old 09-06-2001, 04:00 AM   #12  

Hi ladies!

Ledom, I bet you looked GREAT in your dress I wish I could get some of your resolve to exercise...maybe you could bottle it and send it to me. Just even after a short walk I am huffing and chuffing away.

Alice, Bostons don't seem to like the leash at all. Even if you JUST snap the leash on Bentley's collar he starts acting like he is being tortured. No one is even trying to walk with him just move him out to the deck to sit with him.

It is really fall here. It is almost cold. What a short summer we had.

My friend who is doing really good with WW is now a WW receptionist. One of her keys to losing the weight is drinking the water all day and every day.

At the end of next week we are taking some holidays for a week and going to Alberta and Saskatchewan to visit my DH's dad and my brother then we are going on our usual Ca. jaunt. It will be nice to see some fall color and I am looking forward to the drive.

Shebacat, how is the kitty feeling? Your cats Ledom, certainly seem to know their own minds. One of the things that suprised me when we went on our last trip with the RV is how many people travel with their CATS. One RV had 2 of them on leashes just sitting outside.

I bought two new cookbooks, one is a Veg. Jewish lowfat cookbook (it looks very good) and the other is the WW veg. cookbook. I think I have to find some new recipes and not be eating the same old thing all the time.
Old 09-06-2001, 10:29 AM   #13  

Default Good morning everyone!

We are having some great weather. It feels like fall, but they say that by the weekend summer will return for a few days anyway.
Tues. night we had a horrific T/storm come through and we lost our electricity for a few hrs. Thankfully it came back on before morning.

ledom~How are the kitties doing being outside? When DH & I first got married we had a cat that we tied out whenever the weather was warm. We used to get a chuckle out of her because when the first sign of spring arrived she would start to meow at the door wanting to be let out, and when fall came she had no desire to go out. Since she normally was an indoor cat, we never could figure out how she knew when the weather turned. How is your exercising coming along?

judi~Your trip sounds wonderful. How I envy you taking so many trips. Do you have a lot of color in Canada now, or is it just starting to turn? We have seen a few trees starting to turn around our area, but we won't reach peak where I live until the middle of Oct. We will start getting the bus loads of leaf peepers in a few weeks. We had this one Boston that was completely terrified of the leash. One time we were out for a very long ride and we stopped to let her do her duties. We snapped the leash on her and she starting yelping, leaping in the air, and landed on her back. DH & I were so stunned we were motionless. I'm sure people around thought that we were giving her a severe beating. It was weird because she just did it that one time. Needless to say it is something we still talk about.

Hello Shebacat, I hope all is well with you and your kitty

Take care. Alice

Last edited by aleka; 09-06-2001 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-06-2001, 01:17 PM   #14  

Default Alice

Isn't that strange, that is exactly what Bentley did!! I wonder what it is about Bostons and leashes. Does anyone know? He is going to go to puppy kindergarden so we will see what that is like.

No, BC doesn't have as much leaf color as the prairie provinces and down east has the most. I was in New England twice and thrilled at the color there. I didn't arrive at the peak time either but once too early and the other time too late but to me it is still pretty spectacular. I am also looking forward to the vivid sunsets on the trip. The sky is pretty amazing in Alta. and Sask. we have more muted sunsets here on the island because of the water in the air.

I am going to do that 40 point thing with exercise everyday just to see what happens. I am going to do one week perfectly then weigh. Now even I can do one week
Old 09-07-2001, 10:29 AM   #15  

Default Good morning everybody!

Lacee took me for my walk this morning and we just got back. We are having a beautiful day weatherwise. It appears that summer is making a come back.

judi~Puppy kindergarden sounds so cute! I don't know why Boston's have so much trouble on a leash. It must be from their independant streak. I did the 40 pts. on Tues., and I did not come anywhere near the 40 pts. I didn't even get to what I need for daily points range, which is 20 - 27. Unfortunately, I more than made up for it the next day, as we had to go out of state to deliver some parts and we ate breakfast out. I had a big breakfast so that I did not want to have lunch, but late in the afternoon I needed something. We were still on the road, so I had a candy bar. But, I did have a light supper. I have started counting points again today. I also can count and do exercises for a week. I found an easy way to manage that is just say to yourself each day, just for today I will count my points and exercise. Let me know how you do, and I will do the same.
When will you be leaving on your trip?

Hi ledom & shebacat, I hope all is well with you.
Take care. Alice
Closed Thread