Thread: Core Snacks
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 08:52 PM   #15
septembersgoal
Melissa

I know this is posted above, but I found this slightly different recipe and some variations on WW site. I love these!

Basic Recipe for Roasted Chickpeas | Serves 4

A low-fat snack alternative to cocktail nuts, these spicy beans also taste great tossed into salads.
Preparation Time | 5 min
Cooking Time | 50 min
Level of Difficulty | Easy

1 spray olive oil cooking spray
2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Spread chickpeas on baking sheet and sprinkle with garlic powder and red pepper; toss to coat.
3. Roast on bottom rack of oven, shaking pan about every 15 minutes, until browned and slightly crunchy, about 45 to 50 minutes. (The chickpeas will still be somewhat soft. Cook longer for desired texture.) Cool before serving.

Chickpea Spice Variations

Follow the directions for Roasted Chickpeas, but use other flavorings.

Chili Chickpeas - sprinkle them with chili powder, fresh ground cumin and a little salt.

Curry Chickpeas - sprinkle with your favorite curry mix and salt.

Buffalo Chickpeas - Mix Tabasco sauce or similar pepper sauce with some lemon juice (about equal proportions). You need the citric acid from the lemon juice because you want a tart flavor to the final product. The vinegar in the Tabasco will evaporate during the roasting process.

Teriyaki - cover with soy sauce, a little Splenda, lots of garlic, and lots of fresh back pepper and roast as directed.

Cajun - Season with your favorite Cajun spice mix and roast as directed

Taco Chickpeas - Roll them in homemade taco seasoning and then roast as directed:
1 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. dry oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
septembersgoal is offline   Reply With Quote