Old 12-05-2005, 08:58 AM   #1  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Arrow Weekly Weigh-In: December 5 - 11

Alright everybody!! I'm back! I am hereby officially announcing my first day back 100% on plan. I'm changing my siggy to reflect my new, elevated weight -- sad but true -- and I've got my eats planned out and to some degree already prepared. Lorraine's at the grocery store as we speak, storing up on more healthy grub. I worked out yesterday, but didn't eat on plan at all. (I think a little low-fat mayo might have slipped in there accidentally! ) But today marks the return to business as usual. For those of you who know me pre-chemo, you'll know what that is for me, but there are so many new (to me) folks here, I'll have to clue you guys in at a later date....because of course I know you're just simply DYING to know all about what I'm doing!

Last year, working very hard over 8 months, I lost almost 80 pounds, only to have regained a bunch of it this year. Most of the gain occurred during chemo (notoriously common on my regimen) -- however since chemo ended in June I've managed to pack on another 13 pounds.

So, starting weight: 240.

Yep. It's a sad thing. But it's only temporary!

How are you guys doing??

Last edited by lessofsarahtolove; 12-05-2005 at 09:22 AM.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:10 AM   #2  

Welcome back Sarah. I am noticing that, despite your weight gain, you have not returned to your high and, considering the #$%@ your body has been through, that is AMAZING! You should be pretty proud of yourself as you begin anew to now get rid of that chemo weight.

After a week long plateau following me reaching another short-term goal, I am down 2 pounds this week. YEAH!
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:27 AM   #3  
I climb mountains!

Smile Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgreengables
After a week long plateau following me reaching another short-term goal, I am down 2 pounds this week. YEAH!
Thanks for the nice welcome back, Paula! Speaking completely selfishly, I'm so glad that you're still here, as you're so consistently supportive and logical. Thanks also for the kind words on my regain -- as you know, it's hard to stomach (sad pun sort of partially intended) but it's all a state of mind. Cancer taught me, among other things, that everything can change on a dime -- so here's yet another swing of the pendulum.

CONGRATULATIONS on another 2 pounds!! You go! When you're down to the bitter end, 2 pounds is really significant, so I'm really happy for you!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:38 AM   #4  
Downsizing Dee!

Welcome back Sarah - there's always room on the wagon and congratulations Paula on the 2 pounds!

I'm down 1 more this week. I must admit that I was a little disappointed when the scale only registered 1 pound, I was expecting more. I thought I had an awesome week food and exercise wise. But better sense kicked in and I realize that it could because of any number of things, including the extra exercise. I'm happy with the 1 pound and I'll work equally hard this week to lose 1 more.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:12 AM   #5  
I climb mountains!

Very wise, Dee. That pesky exercise-related water weight! Sometimes, also, we have to remind ourselves that our bodies don't always remember the calendar week and weigh-in day! I'm really proud of you -- you're doing so well!!
Old 12-05-2005, 10:13 AM   #6  

Sarah, I love the tone of your post - it is so "gung ho". I've been trying to find that same groove again for a while. I think I'm finally there and I am good and ready to buckle down and reach my goal weight.

I've been maintaining my weight for a couple of months now. I've wandered somewhat aimlessly trying to figure out how to shed these last 20 pounds. I've become too content in the process. Getting to this point has been trying emotionally but the science of actually losing weight hasn't been that difficult. I mean, at 214 pounds and being completely sedentary all I really had to make myself do is eat a little less and move a little more (of course, that was much harder than it sounded at the time!). At 136 pounds it isn't quite that easy - I can only reduce my calories so much and exercise so hard. I'm not faced with the emotional obstacles that I once was and I've learned so much along the way but now I'm at a loss as to what is going to be required to reach my goal. But, I'm ready to figure it out.

On top of all that, while I have been maintaining, I've been exercising less frequently and junk food has been making a more regular appearance on my plate. Because of that a certain amount of reconditioning is going to be needed to start losing weight again too.

My plan is this: I'm through focusing on the 80 pounds I've already lost. I will always acknowledge them but it is time to look ahead to the next 20. I've changed my ticker and am trying to think of the these 20 pounds as a brand new journey. I am trying to keep my expectations realistic - I know the days of being able to lose 2 pounds a week are behind me. Even just a pound a week is a little optimistic at this point. I'm ready for the long haul. Also, I'm going to keep my mind open. The more important goal to me is getting the body I want, not the number on the scale. If I reach a point that I really like what I see then I'll be willing to stop even if I haven't hit 115 yet.

I'm glad you are back and feeling so strong. You have such a way of putting a positive spin on everything. You are quite and example to follow and your attitude is, thankfully, contagious.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:37 AM   #7  
Krista

Sarah,
Nice to see you back! I myself and still in a holding pattern at 215. but atleast im still on plan and holding strong. im not willing to give up at this point!
babs2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 238/196/130

Height: 5'4"

Yeh! I am down another pound. That makes 22 pounds in all. I can't wait to see the 100 range. I had wanted to be at 200 pounds by the new year but don't think I will make so may be I can be there by end of January. Anyway, no stress. Just glad I am continuing to lose, even though last week I was so upset because I did not lose any. I have been averaging about 1-2 pounds a week so that is good.

Stay strong everyone and remember - together we CAN do this!!
Betty925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:49 AM   #9  

Ah Sarah -- I feel the love. I also feel equally happy that youa re here because your messages are so upbeat (not that you HAVE to be upbeat all the time; we love you no matter what) and motivational.

Great losses all. ANd plateau weeks are better than gain weeks Krista. Hey Jawsmom, sounds like a good plan to just focus on the next final 20. I wonder if you could shake up your routine a bit to get your body losing again? Change exercises? Maybe alternate high calorie weeks with low calorie weeks? Add protein and weight lifting (if not doing already)?

Dee, you are going to find yourself down even more next week I bet. I find that hard-working weeks are usually belatedly rewarded on the scale. Regardless, going down is going down! Way to go.
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:55 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think I would like to join this thread... and with Sarah's upbeat intro, who wouldn't??!

I am down 3 pounds this week. I'm (happily) surprised, given that I was also down 3 pounds the week before... but before that were 3-4 very slow weeks. Anyway, I'll take it. I am now 2 pounds away from 50 pounds lost!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:58 AM   #11  
I climb mountains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawsmom
Sarah, I love the tone of your post - it is so "gung ho". I've been trying to find that same groove again for a while. I think I'm finally there and I am good and ready to buckle down and reach my goal weight.
Oh, that's good to hear! I've wasted a lot of time wondering how I could "get my mojo back" and wondering why I didn't feel the fire in my belly like I did last year. I finally came to the conclusion that it wasn't very different from my practice of smiling and trying to put out positive energy when I'm feeling cranky or down. My thought there is that the positivity I put out will end up coming back to me and cheering me up. So, similarly, I'm acting a tad more gung ho than I'm actually feeling, in the hopes that all the related behaviors will effect the results which will further motivate me. Got it? "A lot of paint will make it what it ain't," as it were. I just finally came to the conclusion that I couldn't just passively wait until I felt this great passion to turn it around. A little passion was good enough!

Quote:
I've been maintaining my weight for a couple of months now. I've wandered somewhat aimlessly trying to figure out how to shed these last 20 pounds. I've become too content in the process. Getting to this point has been trying emotionally but the science of actually losing weight hasn't been that difficult. My plan is this: I'm through focusing on the 80 pounds I've already lost. I will always acknowledge them but it is time to look ahead to the next 20. I've changed my ticker and am trying to think of the these 20 pounds as a brand new journey.
I can completely relate to this, too! I, too, needed to put my 80 pound loss behind me and face the here and now. The most important facts are that I currently weigh 240 pounds, and I have a hundred pounds to lose. I've regained 34 previously lost pounds, and that sucks, but all things considered, it's not the end of the world. I lost them before and I'll lose them again. It's all in the viewpoint: backwards vs. forwards. One way leads to immobility, the other to progress.

Quote:
I am trying to keep my expectations realistic - I know the days of being able to lose 2 pounds a week are behind me. Even just a pound a week is a little optimistic at this point. I'm ready for the long haul. Also, I'm going to keep my mind open. The more important goal to me is getting the body I want, not the number on the scale. If I reach a point that I really like what I see then I'll be willing to stop even if I haven't hit 115 yet.
Good for you. I'm really glad to hear that. It really sounds like you've got your head screwed on straight and have the most pragmatic, rational mindset going into this last leg of your journey. It sounds like at this point it's much less about actual poundage than body fat percentage. Maybe your final goal could be centered around that rather than the number on the scale, as you're down to the final sheets on that paper towel, you know? Especially since you're absolutely right, you can only go so low on the calories. Just a thought.

Quote:
I'm glad you are back and feeling so strong. You have such a way of putting a positive spin on everything. You are quite and example to follow and your attitude is, thankfully, contagious.
AGAIN you're being so sweet to me!! Thank you! I do tend to be quite the little Polly Positive, to the annoyance of some in my office. But you're right, I do feel stronger. I think I'm probably at about 80% (it's hard to tell when you're in it, you know?) which is terrific, I understand, considering how much more recuperating I have before me. (They say it takes at least a year, and I'm only 4 1/2 months out.)

We'll get there, together. I'm just so proud of how far you've come, and I know that as long as you continue to keep your wits about you as well as you have, you can do nothing BUT reach your ultimate goal.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:23 AM   #12  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

Sarah, I don't know if we have ever actually met but it is nice to see you back. I love your avatar. You just look so happy and free in that picture.

I think I already posted this yesterday but my weigh in was yesterday and I am down 1.5 pounds. Congrats to everyone else with their losses.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:01 PM   #13  

Quote:
Hey Jawsmom, sounds like a good plan to just focus on the next final 20. I wonder if you could shake up your routine a bit to get your body losing again? Change exercises? Maybe alternate high calorie weeks with low calorie weeks? Add protein and weight lifting (if not doing already)?
Yep, I do all of the above. But, thanks for the suggestions! The months that I maintained were intentional - I needed a chance to let my brain catch up with my body. Plus, I needed a little time to evaluate my original goals. I started out thinking if I could just lose 20 pounds I'd be happy. I don't think I ever considered what would happen if I actually lost 80. . So, I took the time I needed to appreciate how far I had come and decide how much further I wanted to go. Now, I think I just have to accept that I'm past the point of any tricks of the trade making a difference. I'm doing all the right things (for me). It is a matter of patience, patience, and more patience at this point!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:01 PM   #14  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

No movement for me. I'm frustrated, but not giving up. The 270's are being a...*rhymes with switch*... to me. They won't let me go!!
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:20 PM   #15  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Hello Everyone!!

Congrats to all the losers. Some really positive vibes going on here. I'm so glad to see it. This really can be done.

I'm down 2.4 this week!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote