Old 12-03-2005, 03:55 PM   #1  
Krista

Angry I just want to scream!

I used to go to curves .... well i showed up... i dint really make a habit of it. but since i couldnt go anymore (i dropped out due to finances) i have been working really hard at the diet and exercise. yea ill admit it was hard last week and the calories went out the window but i got right back up and started over.

well i kept my last measurement paper from curves and i have it taped to my fridge. i just had my daughter take my measurements. and my measurements are higher than the last ones at curves but my weight is lower! i dont get it! my scale hasnt moved so i thought i had built up muscle and lost some fat but it doesnt show on the tape. anyone got any ideas??

oh as an add on... my teen has been keeping up w/ my portion control and she just stepped on the scale and has dropped another 4lbs!! this just isnt fair!!

Last edited by babs2810; 12-03-2005 at 04:11 PM.
babs2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:50 PM   #2  

I hate it went that happens!!! Weight loss is not an exact science, and our bodies are like naughty kids, you follow the rules, do everything your meant to, your nice to them and look after them, and they still disobey you and get on your nerves!!!

I get my measurements taken every 8 weeks. Before I incorporated resistance training and weights I boringly dropped from every measureing point each weigh in. Then weird things started happening, my arms got bigger, my legs got bigger, at other points I might have dropped a bit, the measurements just went crazy!

Don't sweat it, whilst measuring is sometimes more helpful than scales, it isn't always. That time of the month can affect how your body holds fluid, thus making some things bigger that really aren't, as can the weather, sodium intake, lots of things.

I personally give up whatever isn't working for me, and go back to it later, for example, weighing in was becoming really hard, so I left it for two months before I weighed again. I have given the measurements a break and will get them done in the New Year so I have a point to recommit to.

Good luck and don't let the numbers get you down, you are doing good things for your health and your body and the rest will fall into place.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:50 PM   #3  

It could be that at Curves the person measured in a slighty different spot that your daughter did...try measuring one inch above/below where she did and come out with an average...maybe that will be closer. When I got my measurements done by a personal trainer a few months back I had just taken mine a week before but it came out inches more! So, I think it's just different placement of the measuring tape. Keep pluggin at it and I'm sure you'll notice more and more losses on the tape soon enough!
Vilandra485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:58 PM   #4  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilandra485
It could be that at Curves the person measured in a slighty different spot that your daughter did
That's exactly what I was thinking. My trainer is the only one who has ever done my measurements (and I've known her for 3 years). And even SHE has to use "landmarks" on me such as freckles, etc. to be sure she's measuring correctly every single time.

Also, you should NEVER measure yourself after working out (especially cardio) because your entire body "swells" a bit. Same goes for weighing yourself. I am CONSISTENTLY 2 - 3 lbs heavier after cardio than before. I tested it a few times because I didn't trust my trainer when she told me it would happen .

I don't know if you DID measure yourself after working out, but the point is, there are lots of different reasons why your measurements would stay the same or go up.

Hang in there. If you know in your heart that you're doing all the right things with your exercise and eating habits, you'll get there. I promise.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 07:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

You guys beat me to it -- I was going to say the same thing...

Just do what's right, and it will happen. As for your daughter, don't teens generally have higher metabolisms, making it easier for them to lose weight... Sadly, don't our metabolisms generally slow as we age??
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:37 PM   #6  
Krista

Talking

THANKS EVERYONE! youknow i actually knew all of that but i had forgotten about the metabolism thing after you hit 30. and didnt think of water retention. ( im just peein' so stinking much w/ 2 qrts goin in ever day) so i didn't think about how i might be keeping some of it for natural things anyhoo i feel better about it. thanks for keepin me focused!
babs2810 is offline   Reply With Quote