Old 12-02-2005, 01:08 PM   #1  

Default Party 'til the Cows come home!

Christmas Party at this thread!!!!
Wabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:43 PM   #2  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

well everyone here seems to have already started their partying by the looks of the apron gut arses and sausage pants---WASN'T THAT SWEET OF ME---- i just read a press release telling us to get weighed EVERY day--- did i already send that to you---i found it interesting and think i will try it----could be depressing,but maybe you get used to it------------here's the article---Terrific Reason to Weigh Yourself Daily
It's such a simple and easy thing to do! People who are trying to either lose weight or avoid gaining it are more likely to succeed if they weigh themselves daily, according to a University of Minnesota study of 3,000 overweight men and women.

The results were clear: Over a two-year period, those who weighed themselves more frequently had a greater weight loss than those who shunned the scale.

Why? When people weigh themselves daily, "something is going on. It's independent of things such as diet and exercise, so it may be worth recommending," said Minnesota lead researcher Jennifer Linde, who published the study results in the Annals of Behavioral Medicine. "If people see that their number has gone up, they may realize it's time to do something. It's probably easier to make that small correction," than to try to compensate after gaining a lot of weight. Even for those who were trying to maintain their weight, daily weighing had a positive effect and even led to weight loss for some.

People Who Eat This for Breakfast Weigh Less [Netscape]

Weight Loss Dos and Don'ts [WebMD]

What's the Best Food for Weight Loss? [Netscape]

30 Health Conditions Linked to Being Overweight [Ladies Home Journal]

11 Smart Nutrition Moves [Fitness]

Getting on the scale every day isn't something most weight loss groups, including Weight Watchers, recommend. And public health recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control do not include self-weighing at all. Maybe that should change. "It is not surprising that daily weighing correlates with success--people who do well like the feedback," says Kelly D. Brownell, director of the Yale Center for Eating and Weight Disorders. "I suspect it helps people who are succeeding and is a problem for people who are not losing or losing slowly."

This isn't the only study to demonstrate the power of a simple bathroom scale. Concerned about the very common "freshman 15" that many college students gain in their first year, Cornell University researchers determined that stepping on a scale every morning could help keep those unwanted pounds away.

Led by David Levitsky, a professor of nutritional sciences and psychology, the Cornell team weighed a group of first-year female college students at the beginning and end of the semester. The control group were women who had no further contact with the research team, and they gained on average almost 7 pounds in one phase of the study and more than 4 pounds in a second phase of the study. However, women in the treatment group did not gain any weight. They weighed themselves every morning and e-mailed their weights to the research team.

In turn, the team provided weekly feedback using a method called the Tissue Monitoring System (TMS), a mathematical method for estimating changes in body tissue from a series of daily weight measures. One group of women received weekly graphs and instructions on how to interpret a positive slope as an increase in tissue mass (an early weight gain). A second group received an e-mail indicating how many calories to cut or burn off daily--either by eating or exercising--in order to maintain their original weights. Both methods were equally effective in preventing weight gain. The study findings were published in the International Journal of Obesity.

Maybe it's time to step on the scale!
Bagzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 06:37 PM   #3  

maybe it's time fer self flagellation.

Can't hurt ...I'll be game after the holidays.!
Schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:34 PM   #4  
loves kleenex box art

I am going to weigh myself every morning and email the results to Bagz. She won't know how fat I am because she does metric.

I saw one episode of this sitcom with Kelly Rika. On this show, her sis wanted her to go to a therapist. She didn't. Instead, whatever she wanted to get away with she'd just say, "My therapist says I'm on a different clock and need to sleep in later." stuff like that.

I'm noticing that some religious people do the same thing .. not to get out of stuff but to justify stuff without having to examine it. "I believe God wants me to stay in this relationship." "God wants me to work with felons." It just puts a halt to the conversation real good.

Bagz, according to the internet, you live in the land of wooly knitting shops. God wants you to send me enough for a sweater. Bulky. Red.

My darling DS has gone to Gainesville for an academic tourney. His GF is Korean. They were born in the same city the same year. I'm not sure about the same hospital but it's a good bet. His mother is a distant memory for him.
Cowpernia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 09:21 PM   #5  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

how many skeins,what shade of red,and what weight???? yarn is plentiful in them thar hills,it grows on trees-------------do tell---------------it's margie night but i had mike's cranberry instead----off to bed,christmas at the market is tomorrow!
Old 12-03-2005, 12:47 AM   #6  
loves kleenex box art

weight: bulky, aran or worsted

red: pretty like your toenails

amount: ask 'em how many it takes to make a sweater that will go all the around a cow

what can I send you?

I am so needing a change. I need tons and tons of encouragement and prodding. Hold me accountable.

I am making these socks on size ONE needles. They're smaller than the skewers you buy in bulk to put your chicken and pineapple on. It is taking so long !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2005, 02:02 AM   #7  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpernia
I'm noticing that some religious people do the same thing .. not to get out of stuff but to justify stuff without having to examine it. "I believe God wants me to stay in this relationship." "God wants me to work with felons." It just puts a halt to the conversation real good.
Don't forget: "God wants me to be a brainless idiot."

Thank goodness you're finally getting exterminated, Wab! I mean the rats of course. Maybe now you'll be able to sleep at night, eh?

I think DH said this morning that we caught a mouse last night. I was not listening to him. I am more than a little stressed lately. Dog-faced girl is giving me a run for my money. Man, if I ever get her trained to where I want her, it will be a miracle. It finally didn't rain today, so we let her stay outside for quite a while, and she dug some giant hole and apparently laid in the mud (because after all, it may not have rained today, but it has rained for the previous week or something). She was so dirty I had to give her a bath. Not exactly what I had planned today.

Meanwhile, the nice daughter (as opposed to the black hairy evil monster girl) was unbelievable in the play tonight. She was apparently good last night too, but I was backstage (actually not even backstage, more like down the hall) so only saw and heard bits and pieces of the show. I got to do a lot of the makeup for the kids -- only foundation, I didn't dare the fancy stuff. I also helped with miscellaneous costume problems -- for instance, one girl had the hoop in her slip (she was wearing a fancy ball gown) come out and wave around at the audience while she was supposed to be dancing! DH said there was a problem with the sound; some of the mikes weren't working well, especially DD's, so it's just as well I didn't have to suffer through that agony of trying to singlehandedly will her voice to be louder.

Tonight the mikes were spot on and her voice was perfectly clear and gorgeous. She has the role down pat and really fits it perfectly. The whole production is first rate, it really was great fun. One more night, I get to watch again, but I'm not going to video I guess. It's totally against the rules and I was hoping to do it surreptitiously, but it's not dark enough in the auditorium to get away with it. And yes, they will come tell me to turn it off, I don't doubt it for a minute. Very sad that a mother can't get a video of her kid's star turn. I think it's criminal.

What a lovely pome, Schatzi. Are you sure you didn't have the wine before you wrote that? Just kidding!

Uploading a couple of not very good photos to make Bagz jealous.

Kiwi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05_1201Musical.jpg (47.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 05_1201Musical2.jpg (40.5 KB, 22 views)
Kiwonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:06 AM   #8  
Member w/ messiest house

The kid on the left plays Marley and he's wearing chains and lockboxes (and some gauze around his head )
Old 12-03-2005, 10:15 AM   #9  
loves kleenex box art

Bad puppy!!

Kiwi what they do here in Dogpatch is have someone video the whole thing from the back of the room and then sell the videos to the moms for $5-10. Suggest that. Of course you deserve a video of this big event in a mom's life.

All people are mindless idiots, Kiwi, not just religious ones. For example, I know an extremely well-read, intelligent, charming man who moved here to Dogpatch from a cultural center. He refuses to even go .. even once ... to see a local country music show. He just knows he's above that. I'm saying he moved here ON PURPOSE but won't even stick his toe in the water. Maybe it's not the same thing but it's just as stupid.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:38 PM   #10  
loves kleenex box art

Bagzieeeee .. you got to get one of these.

BARRY, Wales--Though he did not know it at the time, the idea came to Howard Stapleton when he was 12 and visiting a factory with his father, a manufacturing executive in London.

Opening the door to a room where workers were using high-frequency welding equipment, he found he could not bear to go inside.

"The noise!" he complained.

"What noise?" the grownups asked.

Now 39, Stapleton has taken the lesson he learned that day--that children can hear sounds at higher frequencies than adults can--to fashion a novel device that he hopes will provide a solution to the eternal problem of obstreperous teenagers who hang around outside stores and cause trouble.

The device, called the Mosquito ("It's small and annoying," Stapleton said), emits a high-frequency pulsing sound that, he said, can be heard by most people younger than 20 and almost no one older than 30. The sound is designed to so irritate young people that after several minutes, they cannot stand it and go away.

So far, the Mosquito has been road-tested in only one place, at the entrance to the Spar convenience store in this town in South Wales. Like birds perched on telephone wires, surly teenagers used to plant themselves on the railings just outside the door, smoking, drinking, shouting rude words at customers and making regular disruptive forays inside.

"On the low end of the scale, it would be intimidating for customers," said Robert Gough, who, with his parents, owns the store. "On the high end, they'd be in the shop fighting, stealing and assaulting the staff."

Gough (pronounced GUFF) planned to install a sound system that would blast classical music into the parking lot, another method known to horrify hang-out youths into dispersing, but never got around to it. But last month, Stapleton gave him a Mosquito for a free trial. The results were almost instantaneous. It was as if someone had used anti-teenager spray around the entrance, the way you might spray your sofas to keep pets off. Where disaffected youths used to congregate, now there is no one.

At first, members of the usual crowd tried to gather as normal, repeatedly going inside the store with their fingers in their ears and "begging me to turn it off," Gough said. But he held firm and neatly avoided possible aggressive confrontations: "I told them it was to keep birds away because of the bird flu epidemic."

A trip to Spar here in Barry confirmed the strange truth of the phenomenon. The Mosquito is positioned just outside the door. Although this reporter could not hear anything, being too old, several young people attested to the fact that yes, there was a noise, and yes, it was extremely annoying.

"It's loud and squeaky and it just goes through you," said Jodie Evans, 15, who was shopping at the store even though she was supposed to be in school. "It gets inside you."

Evans and a 12-year-old friend who did not want to be interviewed were once part of a regular gang of loiterers, said Gough's father, Philip. "That little girl used to be a right pain,
Old 12-03-2005, 06:23 PM   #11  
Member w/ messiest house

Sorry, don't want to go to jail. You have no idea what hoops the publishing company makes the school go through just to get the priviledge of putting on their play. They don't allow videotaping at all, but they actually have a point with someone videotaping the whole play to sell copies. Seems to me they don't have a point when it comes to a parent wanting a lasting memory of the performance, especially if it's just of their own kid.

You are quite right about mindless people. Most of us are to some extent. I object to deliberate mindlessness much more than the lazy kind. You know, when you hear "God will provide" right after someone has refused to make an effort to help themselves or take advantage of an actual god-given opportunity. The truth is usually that they don't want to get off their fat arse--they want the government or their neighbors to provide.

Of course, I was referring to brainless idiots, you know... Not the same thing.

Should I go weigh myself? I'm taking off a pound for clothes.

eww 189

Kiwi
Old 12-03-2005, 07:18 PM   #12  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

157--------whaaaaaaaaaa----i used to weigh 140 in the good ole days------i heard about the mosquito on CBC Radio this week peach!!!! very cool!!!!!!!!!!! oops gutta go
Old 12-04-2005, 09:15 AM   #13  
loves kleenex box art

141 .. I ate a can of nuts. Don't know what happened.

I have nothing to say. Raining here. I'm in a bad mood that's good if that makes sense. Hmmm. I p*ss*d at other people instead of being depressed. Anger instead of depression. That's good, right? Empowered.

Gutta go untangle yarn.

Where is Shotsie's blog?
Old 12-04-2005, 09:16 AM   #14  

179... Shamu got nuthin on me...

Kiwi: You are so blessed to have a "good" , very talented and smart daughter..and she is purty to boot..She has the world by the tail ! Her hair is ta die for! Now then I Know the make up is theatrical, but my first thought was " Dawn of the Dead" Hehhheeee.

Cowsie: you need a change? What with school coming up.. a renewed commitment to knitting? I think you are doing mahvalous doll!

Bagz: Sausage pants! Yes that is me... with the Popover/muffin rollover.. hmmm even our analogies are FOOD based! Go figger

Yes the God is guiding me ..blah blah.. I have an aunt who is guided by Buddah and Chanting... CHANT FER THIS CHANT FER THAT..."I chanted and got it" I chanted for you and you got what you wanted" And she insists on preaching constantly... meanwhile she is the most self centered money grubbing leech I know...but she is "enlightened"...grr don't get me started...

he heeeeeee...I'm high on life and loopy most times my lettle cowlettes..so here is my Hiaku to Wabbys Wats:

Rodents are ugly
Extermination too kind
Dead Rats are Pretty.

PS. My husband thinks that my hiaku is very disturbing and states that he will be sleeping with one eye open.
Schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 02:12 PM   #15  
loves kleenex box art

Shots you are Buddhist? How cool.

I knew the guy once who was out walking with his dad in California when they were accosted by those people who have that one chant that will grant you anything. They laughed it off and went along with. The wife/stepmom was a bad housekeeper and they decided to chant that she would clean the back bathroom. When they got home the plumbing had broken in that bathroom so she was a-cleaning.

You haiku is less disturbing that those women with their guns/break-in talk. I will still mad. A good cat would give those wats a wun for their money. My yard is filled with HUGE feathers. The size that comes off a buzzard.

Shots you are so sweet. Keep encouraging. I need a change as in social-man. Did you hear about that woman (on NPR again this morning) who is now 70 but when she was 67 placed ads that she wanted to have sex with men, no strings attached. And she did. And she's glad. I think it's disturbing to have done that and disturbing to be bragging about it. That's not the kind of change I need.