Old 11-30-2005, 10:16 AM   #1  

Default The BL M&M's support group

I hope you all found your way to this. They also have a chat area that we can use. We can set up a time and do a chat. Let me know when you find this.
DebH
upnorthlogcabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:05 AM   #2  
Sande Elkins

Default Hi Deb

Thanks for the invitation. I really like this site. I checked out the recipes and other tips and I even like them better.

Much nicer and the price is right :-)

~Sande E(MouseMom on the BL board)
MousesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:41 PM   #3  

Hey, I am so glad you made it here... Lets try to get the other ones to get here.... I really would like just the origanal ones., They seem so great. Talk to you later....
DebH
Old 12-01-2005, 07:46 AM   #4  
Sande Elkins

Default slips and falls

Hi Deb,

Two of the other ladies have emailed me saying that they love this site and would like to join. I haven't heard from a few that I emailed and the two others had a very negative response. Live and let live, I guess.

I had a bit of a backslide on my diet yesterday. My husband has been having to work late for the past few months or so. We were eating carry out every night and that was really packing the pounds on me.Since I started the new diet(I'd rather call it new healthy habits), I've been making a light dinner for us instead which usually consists of grilled fish or chicken, steamed veggies, and a large salad. Last night, Steve called and said, "Why not Japanese?" Well, I'd had a rough day, I was tired and hormonal. So, I said yes. True, as carry out goes, Japanese is healthy--we got grilled chicken--but it is also smothered in soy sauce. So, this morning, I'm showing a lb and a half gain over yesterday and my weigh in day is tomorrow---oh, well. I need to remember not to worship that scale and it's opinion anyway. I was fond of telling everyone else how this new healthy life style is a journey and not a destination....I need to listen to my own advice....now about those two handfuls of jelly bellys that chomped down on yesterday.........ha!
Old 12-01-2005, 10:22 AM   #5  
Lynnette

Location: I live in Wentzville, Missouri, which is on the outskirts of metro St. Louis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthlogcabin
Hey, I am so glad you made it here... Lets try to get the other ones to get here.... I really would like just the origanal ones., They seem so great. Talk to you later....
DebH
Sorry, Deb, I'm not one of the originals, but was invited. I just got hooked up here. If you prefer me not being part of the group that's okay. I'll back out if you want.
Lynnette (Twayla)
twayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:47 PM   #6  

Hi mousemom and Twayla,
Twayala. you are sure welcome here. Glad you like this site. I have been on 3 fat chicks for about 6 years on and off. Sometimes you can get a decent group and sometimes not. When you get to know this sete we will have to do a chat time. I will have to check that out again too.
Mousemom, I too have a confession. I got into some red licorice yesterday, one wouldn't have been to bad but 6 is. My husband is a seasonal worker and just got laid off for the winter, so I have sweets around for him. Now I will have to start cooking for him too. It's enough that I do that for a living .
I will have to teach him to cook, so when I get home from work I can have a nice healthy meal ready for me.
Went into work this morning for inventory, and there was some leftover boiled dinner, so I brought some home for lunch. It is a healthy meal. Just not eating the poratoes.
Well enough of my jabbering.
Check in later
DebH
Old 12-01-2005, 03:19 PM   #7  
Sande Elkins

Talking Happy, happy

Hi all! Glad to see your name Lynette.
I've got good, good, happy news. Since I work at home and since it is both physical and dirty work, I usually wear like knit sports pants. Translation:stretchy---- I haven't had a pair of zip up pants or jeans on since I started my new healthy life(prefer that to the word diet). I had several appointments and errands to take care of today. I reached in my closet this morning and I reached for the jeans that were difficult to get zipped 3 weeks ago. Guess what? They not only fit, they are baggy! Hallelujah!! That's the type of encouragement I need to keep going.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:34 PM   #8  
Lynnette

Location: I live in Wentzville, Missouri, which is on the outskirts of metro St. Louis.

Congrats Sande! Doesn't that feel special! I haven't tried the jeans, yet, but the waistband on my pjs slips below my bellie button now. Yesterday I had a fantastic day. Though I had to make cookies, I stuck a carrot in my mouth to avoid the temptation while spooning them out. Later I went to a church dinner. They didn't have anything healthy on the menu so walked laps in the church gym until time to go home, then fixed myself a salad. It was empowering. Now today I wasn't quite as good. I had a luncheon to attend. Fortunately they had salad and undoctored corn, but then I had a small piece of meat, which was breaded and fried. There weren't any other protein options. At least I avoided the dessert trays.

Deb, at least red licorice is low fat. I think I've seen a sugar free version. You might want to check it out.

I haven't quite figured out how to get exercise in today. It's pretty hard when I have a 3-year-old clinging to my leg. So far I've only been exercising on the days he is in preschool, but I'm trying push further. Maybe I can run up to Curves for a while after dinner. The last couple of nights I've dreamt about exercising all night, maybe that counts for something. :-)
Lynnette
Old 12-01-2005, 06:06 PM   #9  
Sande Elkins

Lynette, having a three year old clinging to your leg is exercise. I don't know how you do it. Occasionally keeping my great nephews wears me totally out.
I'm exhausted at the end of the day. I bet you're getting more of workout than you realize.

Great work yesterday and what a clever idea with the carrot. Although, I would have bitten the carrot in two out of frustration just looking at the cookie dough. I use to bake cookies for everyone in my neighborhood every Christmas and sometimes on Halloween. I enjoyed doing it so much and knowing that I had to fill all those baskets kept me from indulging too much. Funny thing, the four years our house has been torn apart with remodeling(long story why it's been this way so long) and I've had no kitchen to speak of(the oven is still in the garage boxed up!), these are the years I've packed on the weight. I think it's because we eat out so much(especially since my favorite is Italian-love pasta). The past three weeks I've tried to fix our meals --mainly grilled meat and salad and steamed vegies--whenever possible and I think that is the main reason I'm losing weight.

Deb, I've always thought being a chef would be such a fun and fulfilling job but boy, the temptation. That has to be rough or is it like my friend who helps out in a bakery, after a while, she started ignoring all of those wonderful aromas....this is getting dangerous-ha!
Old 12-02-2005, 09:13 AM   #10  
Sande Elkins

Default Mornin' All

or, since I'm Southern, should I say Y'all?

Hope you guys had a great yesterday. I'm going to try to fit in more exercise today. I'm with you Lynette. It is difficult to fit it in especially at this time of year. All I did yesterday was walk but that was enjoyable. It was cooler than usual here yesterday but still sunny and beautiful. Deb, I realize I shouldn't talk about cool weather with what you've been getting in Chicago. I have a gallery that I show at up there(in Evanston actually)and I have made a few visits at this time of year. That wind off the lake shows no mercy! I would weigh 500 lbs if I were in a really cold climate since all I want to do when the temperature drops is snuggle up with a book or movie and sip hot cocoa and munch on popcorn.....I really do have to stop talking about food-ha!

Well, exercise and diet aside, the changes I'm making in my life have pushed me to make another change. Twelve years ago, I won a make over at this expensive salon. The fellow who owned the salon told me that, even though I'd been a strawberry blond since birth, I had too much red in my face for that. So, he told me to go ash blond. That is what I've been, thanks to Clairol, since then. This past August, my dear husband informed me that he's never liked the blond and wished I'd go back to red. So, next week, I'm taking the plunge. I have to wait until then since I also decided to get a perm yesterday.....that may have been a big mistake. If this color goes wrong and I end up with bright, intense orange, with my round head and now kinky hair.......Bozo......keep your fingers crossed for me! I told my sister that I've been looking and feeling dull yesterday and so I'm hoping the color will brighten my world.XXXXfingers crossed and a few toes.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:21 AM   #11  

Hey Sharon, good luck with the color. I have always been blonde. Then the grays started coming in so I just used a rinse once a month. But about 3 weeks ago I got some red highlights in my hair and I LOVE IT.
Well I have to head to work. COOK COOK COOK.
Twayla,
That is a good idea the carrot in the mouth.....
Talk at ya later
Deb
Old 12-02-2005, 11:05 AM   #12  
Lynnette

Well, aren't we the triplets! I've always been ash blonde, but I surprised my husband at our wedding by going red (10 years ago). This past year I experimented with going back to blonde because I thought the red was making my wrinkles stand out more, plus I thought maybe with my pink complexion ash might be better after all. I didn't like the ash. I thought it made me look too ordinary and dull. I consider myself a very creative person and want to reflect that in my appearance (without looking like Bozo, though I've come close to a mature Orphan Annie before). So now I'm Champaign with a few highlights. I'm still not satisfied. It's like my diet...I'm always fine tuning.
Deb, what kind of cook are you? Sande, did I read in a previous BL message that you are a potter? I know you work from home, but please explain. If there is some place in the St. Louis area where I can check out some of your work, I'd love too.
We're also connected in another way. My dad grew up in Chicago. His mom and grandparents were Salvation Army missionaries and helped start the first mission in Chicago around the turn of the century--the last one not this one. I still have family there. And my mom's family came from Quebec. Really the island where you live, Sande, (without looking back at my research) sounds like the place where they settled in the 1700s. As you can see, I like to explore from where I get my genes.
Well, I need to get running. I just got back from Curves (yeah!! It's preschool day!) and am in desperate need of a shower. I'll be out and about most of the day, but I'll check in this afternoon. Stay healthy, happy and fit today.
Lynnette
Old 12-02-2005, 01:51 PM   #13  

Default I found you

Hi Deb, Sande & Twyla- thanks Sande for the link here. I'm cancelling the BLC subscription. I can fail on my own, don't need to spend $20 a month as an additional burden/reminder of what I'm not doing.

Ladies, I really need some help here. I'm basically a very possitive person & fun. But when it comes to really dedicating effort to me, I fall flat. Have been trying to do the exercise/diet routine for 3 weeks now. No success. I think I'm a phoney cuz I talk & think about this all the time. I thought with the additional focusing on exercise/diet it would just "sink in" and I would absorb those improved habits. Hasn't yet. Kinda like paying for a fitness club membership, not going & wondering why you're not toning up ! LOL

I am journalling my foods - usually. I average <1200 calories a day, drink 60 oz water & look for ways to add movement into my day. But by the time I get home, am too tired to exercise on my tread mill.

What can I do to stop letting "life" get in the way of focusing on me & my health?
Sue AKA Sadieanne
sadieanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:30 PM   #14  
Sande Elkins

Default fitting in exercise

Sue, I've just been on the program myself for three weeks. Like you, I too haven't made the exercise connection yet. I remember from my fit past that once the habit is formed, you think something is wrong with your day if you don't exercise. There is something else I believe also, it is best to start the diet/healthy eating first and get into a routine with that until you have a habit for healthy food, too. I have been trying to walk daily. I work it into the horse care time by allowing myself at least 30 extra minutes to circle the hay field several times. It really is a pretty good workout because half of that circle is up hill. So, I'm trying to do as many rounds as I can in 30 min. At the moment, that is exactly 3. I hope to gradually add on laps and extend the walk into the next field for an additional 1/2 mile soon. I've also been trying my best to do some weight training three times a week. But the aerobic work out is really what I'm needing and where I'm lacking. I am trying to do something that might work for you. I'm trying to park farther away from doors, take the steps when ever possible, and try to incorporate extra movement into my day as much as possible. All movement is good movement. Turn on the music and dance around the kitchen while you're preparing dinner or dance around the house while you're doing house work. Start making laps up and down your driveway or, if you live in an apartment building, walk once around the parking lot and, next week, add another lap. This doesn't have to be an olympic competition. My main goal, and I think most people's, is to get healthier, fitter, and have more energy for my daily life. Movement breeds energy but it is hard to start going when you think you've got to do an hour on a elliptical or treadmill. I'm certainly not capable of that yet but I am moving a lot more and getting out of breath a lot less than I was three weeks ago. I'm only losing about 2-3lbs a week but I've been told by my doc that slow weight loss tends to stay lost better. So, I'm hopeful.
I hope some of this helped. We could also do what I've heard they're doing on the BL site, challenge each other......but, let it be known, I'm not ready for 3 hours of workout a day. So, if we decide to do a challenge, let's keep it doable for all of us. Say so many steps a day, maybe so many crunches, and some resistance training 3 times a week. Most of us are just beginners here and we don't want to burn ourselves out before we get started.
~Sande
Old 12-02-2005, 02:44 PM   #15  
Sande Elkins

Lynette,

I do wood sculpture or did. I really became burned out several years ago. I've been doing this for over 30 years now and I just reached a point when I felt I couldn't do it any longer. It's a long story and depressing. So, I won't go into that now. I do have some new ideas I've been kicking around and new mediums that I want to try. I do still occasionally work with wood but the only place that my work is almost contantly displayed now is in Evanston, IL. I've been selling mainly to individuals from my web "gallery" for the last few years but my poor web site hasn't been updated or added to in over a year. I'm afraid people are going to give up on me soon even though I'm considering posting a few new things before Christmas(I hope.) Still, if I can get my other ideas off of the ground next year, I may leave the wood behind for good. I'm currently working on turning a spare room into extra studio space just for the new ideas. I'm trying to get back the enthusiasm and drive of my youth. It seems I lost so much of that when my mom died 15 years ago. I squandered a lot of opportunities after that but I still pushed myelf until two years ago when I reached my midlife crisis and my breaking point. I'm trying to get back on track now and excited about life as well as my work again.
Sorry, that was probably WAY more than you wanted to know when you asked if I was a potter. As for the island, that's Doris. I'm very land locked unfortunately:-).
Have a good day. It's time for me to go take care of the horses. ~Sande