Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-21-2005, 08:21 AM   #1  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Question Resistance Tube Advice!

Since I am a novice at weight training, I thought I would ask for some advice first. I travel frequently and it is not always possible to get to a gym. Recently I stumbled across Resistance Tube. Although it sounds like the perfect solution to my problem, but has anyone tried it?
I am worried I might not get the full body workout I need, including lower body, abs and back! Also does it require any other equipment, like a weight bench?

Thanks
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:29 AM   #2  

I don't think you can replace weights with bands, but they can certainly supplement your weight training. Power lifters use them to add resistance at the top of the lift, by using the bands plus a relatively lightly loaded bar. Because bands are a kind of spring they are going to offer more resistance the further they are stretched, so if you are using bands alone they won't really train the bottom positions of your lifts.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:53 PM   #3  
repeat offender

Question

Hi Robert, I am not sure if I understand everything you said. I understand that it's not the same thing as weight, and I won't be able to train the bottom position.
Can you suggust an alternative? Keep in mind that I can't carry all that weights arounds. But I really just need something to help tone my body. Has anyone actually used it and found it sucessfull?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2005, 06:04 PM   #4  

What about waterfilled dumbells? I can see that there is at least one set that goes up to 16#.

I would train bodyweight exercises plus maybe running stairs if i was traveling and the hotel didn't have a gym. I also get a pretty good "farmers walk" workout carrying my bags around the airport.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:15 PM   #5  
Meg

Hi Miaka! Resistance bands can give you a great workout while you're on the road. I have clients who travel with four of them (yellow, green, red and blue) and can do full body workouts wherever they find themselves.

Here's the workout that I put together for my clients - it covers all body parts except for abs. Those you can do with a million kind of crunches and no resistance at all.

Legs (blue band)
Squats
Lunges
Inner and outer thighs, butt kicks (band under a table leg)
Single-leg leg press / leg lift combo (lying down)

Chest (red band around a pole or doorknob)
Chest press
Pec flyes

Back (red band around a pole or doorknob)
Back row

Shoulders (yellow band)
Front raises
Side raises
Overhead press

Arms (green band)
Curls
Hammer curls
One-arm overhead extension

I bought my bands online at http://www.bodytrends.com/products/resistance/index.htm . It would be hard for me to write up descriptions of the exercises if you're not familiar with them (I spend an hour teaching this workout to clients) but there are books and videos available that might be helpful and you might be able to find illustrations on the Internet.

Good luck! I think bands are perfect for traveling!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:14 AM   #6  
Headbanger

S/C/G: 225/218/180

Height: 5'9"

You can get a whole set from this website that includes a booklet that shows some exercies. It also has an ankle strap for doing leg exercise and a door anchor for doing back exercises. They have 2 different sets to choose from.

http://www.bodylastics.com/components.html

Last edited by RockerGirl; 11-22-2005 at 11:26 AM.
RockerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 09:22 AM   #7  
repeat offender

Talking

Thanks Guys, glad to know these are ok. I went ahead and brought a Danskine set for less than $20. Will keep you posted on how it goes!
Old 12-01-2005, 09:20 AM   #8  
repeat offender

Talking

Hi Guys,

As promised I am sharing my experience with the Resistance Tubs. They were GREAT! I was able to do upper body, lower body and back with these little toys! The best thing was that I can customize it to my liking. Instead of having to increase weights by 5 or 10 lb increments, I can adjust it to where I feel good.
Anyone out there who doesn't like to go to the gym or spend too much money on weights, this is perfect!

Later