Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 02:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

Smile New to the board!

Hello all! Im Alana Jo. I am 24 years old and I am from Kentucky. Ive been happily married for 5 1/2 years and I have 2 boys. Bai is 4 and Dalton is 4 months. I have been a little on the heavy side my entire life but I carried the weight well. I am 5'8 and have a large build even when I am at my smallest. I have been so depressed over my weight since I had my son. I havent been dieting because I have been breastfeeding. Im ready to plunge into it now. I need to drop alot of weight, tone up, and get my life back in order. The bad part is that I have no motivation. I have everything I need to work out with here at home. My husband works out everyday but I cant bring myself to do it with him. I guess I am a little shy about my weight around him. I dont know why. Food is my passion and I cant seem to pass it up. I need a buddy that can help me out with the motivation and that I can report back to. I am a wonderful listener and love to talk. I would be an awesome buddy for someone out there.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:33 PM   #2  

Welcome. Yesterday I too was welcomed to the board. My name is Uleta and I am 25 with 2 kids (4 years and 20 months) I am sickened by my weight and aim to fix thatproblem asap. WElcome and good luck in your journey I am here for you just like many others will be on the board. I have found lots of help so far.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:39 PM   #3  

Sounds like we have a lot in common Alana! My name is Morgan and I am 22, I just had my first baby in Sept. and am ready to take the plunge in losing the baby fat! I was put on bedrest and ended up gaining nearly 80 pounds I was chunky to begin with....so needless to say, I have a lot of work ahead of me. My hubby is NOT interested in dieting and I am finding it terribly hard to eat right when he is home. I love food, who doesnt? My problem is I tend to eat for comfort. I have been out of work for nearly a year (I am a nurse) and miss my job tremendously but dont want to leave my baby girl (Kelsey). This leaves me home doing the mommy thing which often includes snacking throughout the day. I am looking for accountability here.....what about you? I look forward to losing weight with you, I think we can do it while having fun!!!
Hope to hear from you!! Keep your chin up, this is a new beginning!
Old 11-30-2005, 03:40 PM   #4  

welcome
Old 11-30-2005, 08:55 PM   #5  

Uleta- Thanks for the welcome. I can imagine your kids keep you pretty busy. Mine sure seem to keep me busy and Dalton is still a newborn. I hope your journey goes smoothly as well.

Morgan- I totally understand your issues. I am a CNA and I worked until March. I was taken off work due to pregnancy complications. I too think that had alot to do with my wieght gain. After I had my son I decided not to go back to work for a while. If I was working Im sure I would drop the lbs pretty quickly because I had to do tons of walking, lifting, etc at the nursing home. My Dh eats healthy but it doesnt help me. I still want my junk. I too eat alot for comfort and alot because I am bored. I hope we can help to motivate each other. I am definately looking for accountability.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:56 PM   #6  

born2star- Thanks for the welcome!
Old 11-30-2005, 09:19 PM   #7  

Hi. Just try not to do too much at the beginning because then you will burnout. try changing small things and when you are ok with that, try changing some more small things. The most important thing is support, and you will get a ton here. Welcome.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:29 PM   #8  

Thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciate it. Ive dont pretty good for the last 3 days. Im really proud of myself. I have such a long way to go. I just dont want to deprive myself of anything. Thats why I like weight watchers.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:39 PM   #9  

Alana, hi

one thing we have in common is the husband! mine weight lifts, runs, does everything, and has never in his life had a problem with weight, and since it really got to me i ended up very big (280 pounds)
I would feel so down and embarrassed, we have all the gym gear, but i would not use it at all! just couldn't stand it!
Now i train, ( i do it while Dh is at work) and i am starting to feel a lot better about myself, though Dh still asks sometimes about how i am going, i still will not talk to him about excercise? isn't it strange!
the fitter he was the fatter i was!
There is a lot of embarrassement and emotion involved, in which i am not comfortable discussing my weight problems with my DH! as he has no idea how i feel! he often offers me chocolate or icecream, and gets offended if i get annoyed! he knows i am trying to make healthier choices! he just doesn't know what it feels like to have a weight problem, he has never had to deal with it!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 11:07 PM   #10  
MakingChanges...

Alana Jo, I do not have any kids, but I know exactly what you mean about the lack of motivation! It is so confusing to me ~ motivation ~ .. I can be motivated about so many things in my life, work, etc .. but when it comes to dieting and exercising, its such a struggle for me. I have been up and down in my weight for so many years now, that It is extremely difficult for me to get started "Again"! I am able to handle the food intake, etc .. but the exercising .. blah .. not to mention my fiance has never had any weight problems and cannot relate, so he tends to be unsympathetic and irritating at times when it comes to this matter. What usually helps me get motivated to lose weight initially is to take baby steps, set small goals each week, daily even if you need to .. with little rewards once you reach them .. they can be as simple as treating yourself to a hot bath, reading a book, buying yourself something, a haircut .. well, Good luck and we are all here routing for you! [/COLOR]
Old 12-02-2005, 11:20 PM   #11  

icedraggon- OMG we sound so much like. Its like reading my own message. It is so strange to feel that way isnt it? What program do you follow? I would appreciate any advice you can give me.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:24 PM   #12  

Rayne

Its just like Men do not understand how hard it is for us. It seems most of them have no trouble with weight. I wonder why that is? Thanks so much for routing for me. Im here to do the same for you if you need me.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:27 PM   #13  

Bumping up because I really need a buddy who is interested in chatting via emails, private messages, journals, messenger or something.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:48 PM   #14  

Hi Alana

It still really gets to me! but now i might actually be fitter than him! LOL!
I do nearly anything (when he is not around!)
i actually bought a treadmill in May this year! DH thinks i do not use it! but i won't use it when he is home. And now i have bought the playstation 2 Kinetic for my christmas present.
I just journal my food, keep it under 1800 (though most days are under 1500)
I cook from the cook books "symply too good" which i don't know if they are available o/s , she uses normal recipes and turns them low fat/low cal! like stroganoff, curries, pies, hamburgers! really good food!
and also now i try to go for a walk 5 times a week. (no DH) and lately I am trying to turn that walk into a jog.
I feel secretive journalling and watching what i eat! Dh just wouldn't have a clue, but since i am the chef of the house, he has no idea that some of the things he eats are low fat. I made a low fat curry (instead of coconut milk, use light evaporated milk, and a few drops of coconut essense, and add your curry paste or powder) and he just laughed when i said it was low fat!
Over the years I have come to really like food, not just junk food, but anything! and since he has never had to watch his diet, there tends to be anything in my cupboards! last week he bought a 1 pound block of chocolate! and 3 times already he has asked if i wanted any. I could strangle him! Of course i want some, or realistically ALL of it, but no i will not allow myself to do that.
I love him to pieces! he is the sweetest man who would do anything for me! but he just does not understand my obession with food and lack of control.
I cannot envision any day in the future when i can talk to him about weight loss and excercise! Maybe I dread him saying "I told you so"? Its just like a cloud hanging over my head.
Dh bought a kayak for his birthday, and i do use it, but if he asked me if i wanted to go out , I would say "no" just because he asked? I told him, when i want to go i will, i don't need him bothering me about it.
Maybe it is jealousy or spite on my part, that he never has a problem with food or weight, and he has always found it so easy to get up and say "going for a 5 km run, see ya"

I cannot honestly say how to get around it! i still struggle, i usually do all my excercise while he is at work, or out. I will use the treadmill, with the kids around, and the neighbours, but not with DH! maybe I need a shrink!
When i cook something low fat, i freeze the rest in meal size containers, then the next day i will cook him and the kids whatever (chips, steak, ..) and i will eat the leftovers. That way he is still getting his normal food, and i can eat low fat without making any excuses.

Does your Dh work? do you have time to yourself, I would start to do something then. get a couple of small barbells with only light weights and while watching tv, do some lifts, curls, general upper things, try adding some situps, maybe get an excercise video or DVD ? do a little 3-4 times a week, and increase it slowly until you feel ready to move on to something a little harder. If you have a bike or treadmill, do that for 1/2 hour. you will start feeling more energy and a little better just by starting! I can guarentee it! but don't give up!
Old 12-04-2005, 09:52 PM   #15  

Aww thanks so much for your encouragement! I really appreciate it. You have motivated me to go in there and get on the exercise bike. Im usually worn out by the time 10 minutes is up. Im gonna try to push it a little further each day. Maybe I am trying to use too much resistance too fast? You can set how hard it is for you to pedal. Maybe if I set it to the lowest resistance I could do 30 minutes. Ill certainly give it a try. Ive never really thought about counting calories instead of points. I find WW pretty easy because I can eat whatever I want but jut have to make sure its within my limits for the day. You are doing so well on your WL journey. I hope in 6 months I have came as far as you have.
Closed Thread