Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 02:24 PM   #1  
caileedaytonmom

Cool ear stapling

I got ear stapling done one month ago. Within 30 minutes I was craving water and did for the next 3 weeks. I quit drinking 3 pops a day and could only drink 1/2 of a can and sweets grossed me out. im 200 lbs overweight and lost 10 lbs in one month. They arent working so good anymore so Im gonna get them redone.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:44 PM   #2  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

I'm glad that they worked for you but I'd like to point out that if people choose to do this that they need to go to a VERY experienced person who does this using a sterile technique.

I'm a nurse, and a few months ago a lady came to town and did TONS of ears, within a week we had people coming in daily with pain and infection. Definitely not worth it if you have someone do it wrong and you have to pay sixty five bucks (or more) to have a doctor remove it.

Lacey
Old 11-30-2005, 02:47 PM   #3  

Never heard of ear stapling. What is supposed to be the benifet of this? And where and why would someone get this done? I thinkt aht is all the ? I have about it. I didn't know it could be done and sounds really odd.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:28 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Well I would assume that it's based on the acupuncture principle but it still sounds like BS to me.

I just googled and came up with the following articles:

Update: The weight loss ear staple (from KFOR.com, Oklahoma City News - includes video)

Ear Stapling for Weight Loss?
Don't count on ear stapling to be the magic solution for weight loss.

And guess what - Ear Stapling is nothing new. Every few years or so, this topic crops up (usually including anonymous testimonials on how a friend's cousin's aunt lost X amount of pounds afterwards) then the fad vanishes after (I suspect) most people who go through this discover it doesn't work.

Apparently at this point, the fad is based in Oklahoma - I would bet that the RN mentioned in the ad is the catalyst of this newest 'uprising' - she has a website offering gift certificates and 'advice' as well as one-day training seminars (for an undisclosed fee of course). I would assume she is making quite a profit, at least at this point while the fad is still hot in that area.

Quote:
The training will consist of shadowing me with clients and one on one instruction on the philosophy and history of ear stapling, identification of acupuncture points of the inner ear, access to all of my paper work( waiver, after care instructions, diagrams, etc...) Also marketing tips, guidelines and how and where to purchase your stapling equipment. Too many details to mention. You will receive a training notebook, a staple gun and information on how to start your own business
Apparently the staple is supposed to "work" for a time frame from 6 weeks to 6 months. If not you go back and have it 'repositioned' until, I assume, they find the 'spot' in your ear cartilage that works.

(well you can probably tell at this point that I think this is a bunch of hooey...if *you* want to go this route, then go ahead, but I'll pass, personally - I'm sure it will die out soon and then about 5 years from now, it will crop up like a bad penny!)
Old 11-30-2005, 03:38 PM   #5  

Default well heck

To be honest I have my ear peirced all the way up and the top 2 did kinda help me eat less. But now that the newness has wore off of it it does nothing for me. I just like my peircings frankly I'm weird. Go figure. Anyways I don't see how ear stapling can help even with that information. It doesn't seem to jiv for me. Oh well on to the next solution.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:41 PM   #6  

WHY WHY WHY do people feel they must resort to trying such potentially dangerous garbage? (infection and disease are not worth any weight loss IMO) I don't get it. I have 30 lbs to lose and yep.....I've had it for a while and yep.....I feel desperate and depressed sometimes. I try to take that energy and put it right back to fighting the war on fat!!!! I won't let it win. Never in a million years would I dream of putting my health at risk for some FAD DIET TRICK. That just defeats the whole purpose!!!!! I wish people would stop preying on the desperate folks and get lost.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:20 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hey if Ear Stapling works, why not go ALL THE WAY and do it right, like Rik Mayall's character in the BBC show The Young Ones:

Old 11-30-2005, 06:30 PM   #8  

Does that cause carrot top too?

LOL

Just kidding---no offense meant to anyone!
Old 12-01-2005, 12:26 PM   #9  

ooooh LOVE The Young Ones. LOL. Yup, definitely a child of the '80s here ... *ahem*

Anyway, ear stapling is actually an OLD weight loss fad. It's one of those "been around, coming back around" things.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:38 PM   #10  
Opulent

It is illegal in many states to perform this type of procedure unless one is a licensed acupuncturist or medical doctorand even then, I have never seen nor heard of an acupuncturist or doctor using a "gun" or "staple" in this way. An RN started this latest craze? She should be ashamed and should know that only a licensed medical professional should be performing such an invasive procedure.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:59 PM   #11  

I have a feeling that any procedure at all, anything period, will work on some people due to the placebo effect. If you tell someone that painting their nails with this special color of green nail polish will cause them to lose weight, then for a while they will convince themselves that they really are less hungry and have less urge to snack. Being able to see (or feel) whatever procedure is helpful, or having to remember it by taking a pill or whatever.

So yeah, I think ear stapling might work. If you believe it will. Or same for sporting green nails.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:26 PM   #12  
Empress/Queen

I think Tealeaf is right ... anything is effective if you think it is!

Also, I agree that the idea behind ear stapling is acupuncture ... I've heard theories about pressing a point in the ear having the effect of short-circuiting cravings or the desire to binge.

Seems like pressing a point in the ear would be cheaper and safer than shooting a staple in there!
Old 12-01-2005, 04:51 PM   #13  
resident lactivist

Y'know, I've been stapled twice in my life--to be closed up after my c-sections. I think, to lose weight, I will stick with diet and exercise. In my experience, having staples in you feels pretty much as bad as you'd think.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:24 PM   #14  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

yep, Oklahoma is where I live too.

*running off to paint nails green*

teehee
Old 12-08-2005, 10:43 PM   #15  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBigMonsterMomma
Y'know, I've been stapled twice in my life--to be closed up after my c-sections. I think, to lose weight, I will stick with diet and exercise. In my experience, having staples in you feels pretty much as bad as you'd think.
I accidentally ran a staple under my fingernail at work about 15 years ago...

Dunno what was more painful - the staple or the bazillion CAL-OSHA & workers comp forms I had to fill out afterwards (nope, I didn't go to the doctor... )
Closed Thread