Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-30-2005, 07:56 AM   #1  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Default Not for Everyone (obviously)

Hi! This thread is somewhat related to Charlene1970's post. But here is my story:
2 years ago I was seriously contemplating surgery. I tried dieting but it never seemed to work and every year I watched the scale climb and climb. At the rate I was going on, I would have been about 315 at this point. I researched the surgery, bought books, and even attended a seminar. I didn't have any related health issues, but that could be due mostly to my age. I thought that wls was my only option, but the whole surgery aspect of wls really scared me, especially since I knew someone who died as a result of complications due to wls. So I put that idea on hold for a little while, when 15 months ago, kinda out of nowhere I found that I had started to actually LOSE weight! Out of the clear blue sky I had finally found the strength and ability to lose weight on my own. For someone who thought that she was a lost cause, that was amazing.
So, I guess what I am trying to say to all people thinking about wls, is really really think about it. Give your decision some time to set in, and perhaps give conventional weight loss one last try, because you never know. I am not criticizing the surgery, in fact I really respect people who have made such a drastic decision to help themselves. But I am just so glad that I did not have to go through with it, because I just don't think I could have handled it.
Anyway, I just really wanted to share my story with you all. Thanks for "listening!"
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/232/150

Height: 5'6"

Wow, congratulations on your awesome achievement! And thanks for the advice. Yes, one does need to give it a lot of thought since it will affect you every day of your life. Maybe year long (or more) waiting lists are a good thing.
swingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:59 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

chica - you're right, in many respects. making the decision to have surgery is extremely difficult and INDIVIDUAL. anyone who decides on this path should also have done a fair amount of work taming whatever food demons are around.

at 21, i wouldn't have considered the surgery. but in my mid-40s, debilitated and sick from the weight, having tried everything else, it was a different story.

congratulations on all your hard work!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:54 PM   #4  

You are doing great. Thank you for posting this; you are absolutely correct. Keep up the great work!
DancingAngel is offline   Reply With Quote