Old 11-29-2005, 11:27 PM   #1  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Smile How to Love yourself

I know a big component of our weight loss journey and lifestyle changes needs to start from with in ourselves. We can blame who and what we want, or use another good excuse, but ultimately it starts from the inside out. A major ingredient in this recipe for a healthy lifestyle is to love ourselves. Now, I know....this is a big one for me. I have trouble with it. Sure loosing 50 pounds will make me feel good, and help my self steem, but all we have now is today. And today I need to have self love and self acceptance. The following I took from a Louise L. Hay website. Hopefully it will give you some food for thought. It certainly is challenging me more ways than one.

How to Love Yourself

1. STOP ALL CRITICISM. Criticism never changes a thing. Refuse to criticize yourself. Accept yourself exactly as you are. Everybody changes. When you criticize yourself, your changes are negative. When you approve of yourself, your changes are positive.

2. DON'T SCARE YOURSELF. Stop terrorizing yourself with your thoughts. It's a dreadful way to live. Find a mental image that gives you pleasure (mine is yellow roses), and immediately switch your scary thought to a pleasure thought.

3. BE GENTLE AND KIND AND PATIENT. Be gentle with yourself. Be kind to yourself. Be patient with yourself as you learn the new ways of thinking. Treat yourself as you would someone you really loved.

4. BE KIND TO YOUR MIND. Self hatred is only hating your own thoughts. Don't hate yourself for having the thoughts. Gently change your thoughts.

5. PRAISE YOURSELF. Criticism breaks down the inner spirit. Praise builds it up. Praise yourself as much as you can. Tell yourself how well you are doing with every little thing.

6. SUPPORT YOURSELF. Find ways to support yourself. Reach out to friends and allow them to help you. It is being strong to ask for help when you need it.

7. BE LOVING TO YOUR NEGATIVES. Acknowledge that you created them to fulfill a need. Now you are finding new, positive ways to fulfill those needs. So lovingly release the old negative patterns.

8. TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY. Learn about nutrition. What kind of fuel does your body need to have optimum energy and vitality? Learn about exercise. What kind of exercise can you enjoy? Cherish and revere the temple you live in.

9.MIRROR WORK. Look into your eyes often. Express this growing sense of love you have for yourself. Forgive yourself looking into the mirror. Talk to your parents looking into the mirror. Forgive them too. At least once a day say: "I love you, I really love you!"

10. DO IT NOW. Don't wait until you get well, or lose weight, or get the new job, or the new relationship. Begin now - do the best you can.
Monkeybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 227/170/130

Height: 5'2

Thank you Gina........that is awesome advice and I will read it often and incorporate it into my own life.
JazzyNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:07 AM   #3  
One pound at a time...

Good Post Gina! Copy, paste and print!
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:27 AM   #4  
Downsizing Dee!

I just printed it - and put it on my bulletin board. Thanks!

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:45 AM   #5  

Perfect timing Gina.....just got an email from my sister whose daughter is 22 years old and significantly overweight and is struggling so much with self loathing. The "why doesn't anyone love me?" question when all her friends are getting engaged along with fearing that now that she is graduating college no one will hire her.

I cut and pasted it in an email to her. And I'm going to read it to myself too!!

Thanks,
Guin
Guindalf47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:09 AM   #6  
My inspiration!

S/C/G: 288/288/150

Height: 5'4"

Thanks -- this is great. And so true! I have to remember these things everyday!

Lauren
Natalie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:05 PM   #7  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Really nice post. I appreciate you sharing it.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:51 PM   #8  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Printing it now...thanks!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:17 PM   #9  
Sick of Fat

S/C/G: 240/183/150

That's a great post! I have to copy that Thanks for sharing!
sabriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:22 PM   #10  
Krista

thank you Gina! just what i needed!
babs2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:42 PM   #11  
missaprylj

I'm forwarding it to a few of my girlfriends. Thanks
Old 12-01-2005, 11:45 PM   #12  
Opulent

Sage advice. Thanks!
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote