Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 11:17 PM   #1  
Hang In There

Default what about hypnosis weight loss cd's??

Anyone tried them? Did they work? Please telly me your experience. good or bad, before I plunk down my money!!!
Thanks

Barbg/Ageoldie
Old 11-30-2005, 01:35 AM   #2  

I had a post a while ago about subliminal cd's. I'm not sure if they are the same as hypnosis?

Here is the thread.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67726
Old 12-24-2005, 09:34 AM   #3  

I have been using the "Enjoying Weight Loss" hypnosis CD's from The Hypnosis Network by Dr. Roberta Termes.

I have really found them to be very helpful. The suggestions that Dr. Roberta gives you while you are hypnotized are just good, commonsense things that we all know like you will enjoy vegetables or you will enjoy exercise. But, the difference is that the ideas are being implanted in your sub-conscious mind so they are deeply rooted there, and not something you have to think about consciously, if that makes any sense. For example, for the past year I have been going to the gym every moring before work. I started this before I used the hypnosis CD's, but every morning I would have thoughts like I am too tired, I am too busy this morning, it is TOM, etc. I would make myself go, but I always needed to give myself a mental kick in the rear to get going. Well now, I just go. All those excuses don't even enter my mind. It is just a small shift in thinking, but it has made a big impact on how I feel about exercise.

One major change that I have noticed is that I don't have nearly as tough a time with stress eating. I used to binge on cookies after a rough day at work, or other stressful times. I just don't feel that compulsion any more. I am not saying it is a cure-all for emotional eating, or binge eating, but is sure as heck is a powerful tool in combatting it.

I hesitate to actually recommend these CD's to anyone, because there are people who have reported that they did not help them. I think it has a lot to do with your readiness to change (because hypnosis can make you do anything you do not want to do), and also how easily you can be hypnotized. I used to be in Drama in school and we did a lot of concentration exercises. I have noticed at work I can be concentrating on something so much I kind of tune out the world around me. So, I think I can be hypnotized fairly easily.

Anyway, I am convinced they worked for me, and I am not sorry I spent the money at all. They cost me a fair bit too, being in Canada I had to pay exchange, taxes, duty, etc.

There is quite a bit of information about them on Dotti's if you want to read more, or send me a PM, I would be glad to answer any questions.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:50 PM   #4  
Empress/Queen

I have used some subliminal "self-hypnosis, auto-suggestion" type tapes for a number of things, including weight issues. I've had various versions of these through the years. They are relaxing and I think useful in that regard for an anxious person such as myself. They had no effect whatsoever on my weight.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:01 PM   #5  

Hi! In response to the self-hypnosis CDs. I have the SMART Technique CDs I bought when I did the Michael Thurmond 6 wk. Body Makeover. (which does work if you stick with it). I really like the CDs and after a few sessions realized that I was making better decisions about food and exercise after many, many years of doing the wrong thing. I feel they really helped me. Everyone is different and attitudes toward this type of thing are different so it is a personal decision, but it worked for me. Good luck.

Connie
Old 01-18-2006, 01:04 PM   #6  

Dear Ageoldie,
I'm going to a hypnosis place in Dallas and so far the results are good. You go 2 times a week x3; then 1 time a week x3 then 1 time a month for a year...for individual sessions....you can go to as many group sessions as you want, and you get tapes to listen to daily also. I started Jan 3 and am down 11 lbs. I find that I'm painlessly eating less....not craving sweets...not getting up in the middle of the night to munch....I'm relaxed and sleeping better.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:18 PM   #7  

At the beginning of my program I used a tape called A Meditation to Help You with Weight Loss by Belleruth Naparstek. The first side is a guided imagery relaxation/meditation session, the second is basically affirmations. I think it did help me. No, it didn't make me magically lose weight or lose my desire for food. What it did was give me time each day when I focused on ME, focused on what I was trying to accomplish, and re-establish my mind-body connection. Also, a lot of overweight people eat from stress or to tamp down emotions, and something like this can help you simply relax, or deal with emotions or even bring them to the surface so you can see them. The affirmation side is something I might play if I'm stuck in the car, or just feel I need a boost.

So, yes, I would definitely recommend this particular tape, but don't expect it to perform miracles. Just consider it one tool in your toolbelt.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:49 PM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

This topic comes up quite a bit:

Hypnosis, anyone?

Hypnosis (this thread has links to other threads on the topic)

I've mentioned this previously (on at least one of the linked threads) but I've done the hypnosis thing before and was successful with it in that I lost about 28 lbs - which i gradually put back on before I lost it again. As a recap, this was in 1996; I went from around 175 to 145 during the four months I did it. HOWEVER some caveats are in order:

1) I was actually working with a REAL certified hypnotherapist, not just tapes (I saw the hypnotherapist once or twice a week, and listened to the hypnosis tapes every morning, and I mean EVERY morning). Working one-on-one with a certified hypnotherapist is TOTALLY different from following some generic tapes!

2) They had us on that McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Diet - which is a vegan, very low protein, very low fat plan. If you stick to it, it would be impossible NOT to lose weight on this plan since the calories were so freaking low.

3) "if you stick to it" - most of the other people at the hypnosis center (the private sessions were too pricey for me to do most of the time, so I was in the group sessions which would have from 3-7 people on average) lost little or no weight and had a hard time following the very very strict McDougall plan. Most of the clients were women, BTW, whom I assume had families and all that. I had some distinct advantages in a) I didn't have to cook for a family; b) I had already been following a vegetarian diet for almost 5 years prior to that point; c) I was hitting the gym every single morning (just like my Stanford weight maintenance study, most of the other clients had a hard time doing 30 minutes of exercise 3x a week).

In fact I have to say that other than myself and one other lady no one else lost much weight. I remember being in the elevator with a group of them who were talking about which RESTAURANT they were going to go to after the meeting and what they were going to eat - and it wasn't plain baked potatoes and steamed veggies either - more like enchiladas and steak fajitas at Chevys.

Overall, most of the hypnosis success stories I've heard have had to do with quitting smoking, not weight loss.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:07 AM   #9  

thanks for the links i will go check them out

i have been to hypnosis for sleep and found it no good. i think that i am probably difficult to hypnotise. also i am on meds and some antidepressants antianxiety pills apparently interfere with your ability to be hypnotised. don't know all the research on it but there it is.

i'd love to learn how to do self hynposis or meditation but my mind wanders. the last hypnosis session i had there was a fly buzzing about the room and it drove me crazy. i absolutely could not relax and tune out all i could here was zzzzz zzzzz from the blow fly. in the end i got up and opened a window to shoo it out as i was so frustrated!
Old 01-19-2006, 05:16 AM   #10  

also want to add. my mother who is highly suggestible did hypnosis many many years ago. must be at least 20 yrs ago as i was living at home

she did it for self confidence and for diet and she was a changed person for several months. she completely stopped eating chocolate. he gave her a replacement suggestion that every time she felt like eating chocolate she would instead choose a healthy alternative such as grapes and various other suggestions. she found it totally effortless but after several months the effect wore off, not sure why and she didn't go back for more sessions because she had no money. she said that it was on on one and that there was some counselling and talk therapy involved, she can't remember how many sessions. she thinks maybe 4

so i guess it works for some people.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:51 AM   #11  

The hypnotist I go to is certified, has been in business for 20 something years...so I feel comfortable that I'm not getting ripped off. I did a deep and hard self eval at why I was failing on every other plan and program that I tried...and I came to the conclusion that I needed help with the emotional/mental side. Lord knows I've been on enough different programs to know what works for me and what doesn't in the food department......but what always would get me in trouble was the cravings....usually triggered by any kind of emotional event (good or bad)...or even boredom.
The the 2 big differences I see is I can walk by sweets and not grab some...stuff it in my mouth before I even realize what I'm doing...and I'm not waking up at night to munch...so I'm sleeping better...which in turn is suppose to be good for weight loss efforts.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:19 PM   #12  
Uber-Moderator!!

Generally a good hypnotherapist should be able to determine right off the bat whether you can be put under or not (if you don't want to do it, then they won't be able to, but I'm sure EVERYONE knows that by now). I did find it very relaxing and enjoyed my sessions quite a bit, until they changed therapists. The tapes were okay for backup on the days that I didn't see her (once a week) but on their own...I dunno.
Closed Thread