The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 11-28-2005, 02:53 PM   #1  

Default heart rate monitor???

Does anyone have any recommendation on a good heart rate monitor or which ones to stay away from? Also should I get the wrist kind or the ones that go around your chest? Thanks for your help!
Old 11-28-2005, 04:23 PM   #2  

Smile

I just bought a Polar one. Don't know if that's just an Aussie brand or not. Haven't had it that long but so far so good.

I've heard that the chest ones are more accurate but again that's just what I've heard.

Not much help am I really.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I have a basic Polar model. I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but so far I like it. Trying to stay in an aerobic heart rate range has forced me to slow my running down, but I'm able to run more often since I don't get sore knees, etc from running 3 days in a row. It has a chest strap and a wrist watch/monitor. It claims that the chest strap is ekg accurate. So far it works fine as long as I wet the electrodes enough before I start to exercise.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:44 PM   #4  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

I just got one last week and it took forever to program it. Today was the first time I used it. Mine is made by Nike, and also come with the chest strap. come to think of it....I believe all of them come with the chest strap. The read out is pretty neat.....I can do a heart range, % heart rate, calories used, time spent in target heart rate and I can also save all my data to compare vs another day. Pretty cool!!
Old 11-29-2005, 11:07 AM   #5  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

I have the base model Polar heart monitor and I love it. It's very basic but very sturdy. I love that I can wear it in the pool.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:02 PM   #6  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I have a Polar A5 or 6....it seems to work well. The only thing I wish it had is a calorie counter. It was like $50...

One other thing I like about it is that it's compatible with the ellyptical machines at the gym - I don't have to look at the watch - it talks to the machine...(I don't have to put my hands on the machine monitor either)
Old 11-29-2005, 09:36 PM   #7  

I just ordered a Curves monitor from ebay. This was a spur of the moment purchase so I have no idea if it's good or not. But I needed something to track my heart rate when I walk outside or jump rope. I dont trust the monitor on my elliptical, either. We'll see how it works out.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:36 PM   #8  
Determined

I just got a Polar F6 and just took the time to program it (hopefully I did it right?) We'll see. I got mine on ebay too, I love ebay!!
Old 12-02-2005, 08:52 AM   #9  

Thanks for all the input. I will be getting one for a early christmas present.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:41 AM   #10  

Smile

I've also purchased the Polar model (~$50) and have to say that I'm crazy about it. I bought it after reading Jillian's book and it's one of the best things I've bought in the last year.

I would have SWORN before using it that I was exercising my heart out, but I was wrong. With my previous regimen, it would take over 10-12 minutes to get into my target range and on a 30-40 minute workout, that's very little actual time in a helpful range. I had no idea. Once I got the monitor I could see clearly how long it was taking and am now able to adjust my workout to get into that range quickly and STAY in that range for the entire workout. What a difference!

To get back on target, I researched heart rate monitors on Consumer Reports before making my decision. The Polars are considered to be amongst the most accurate and are the most widely available. You can even get them at Walmart.

Sorry if I went on too long or rambled a bit. I'm new to the forum and am still getting a feel for what's appropriate.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:02 PM   #11  

Too long? Rambling? This is a chicks forum - we expect nothing less... Welcome to 3FC....are you doing the workouts in the book yet? Let us know how it goes in the exercise thread.

I LOVE your signature!!
Old 12-03-2005, 12:18 PM   #12  
Uber-Moderator!!

I was going to say that the Polars are what I would consider the "gold standard" in HRMs.

I found this site - they sell a variety of HRMs and have a good article on "Choosing the right Heart Rate Monitor".

http://www.heartmonitors.com/choosing_an_hrm.htm
Old 12-04-2005, 04:19 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick_in_the_hat
Too long? Rambling? This is a chicks forum - we expect nothing less... Welcome to 3FC....are you doing the workouts in the book yet? Let us know how it goes in the exercise thread.

I LOVE your signature!!
Thanks Gina!

I have read Jillian's book, and I am a HUGE fan of her compassion and take no prisoners attitude. However, I am not using her exercise regimen because I don't want to lose too much muscle mass as I lose weight. I'm taking the weight loss relatively slowly (aiming for about 2 lbs a week) and am trying to put on a little mass in the process. I may not succeed in the latter goal, but I certainly don't want to lose any muscle along the way.

As for the quote, thanks! It's a favorite of mine too.

Marius
Old 01-13-2006, 11:36 PM   #14  

I have a question?
Do you guys aim for a certain number of cals per workout on your monitor.
Like tonight I burnrd 1400 cals during my workout since after weight training you burn more even after your workout. I left my watch and strap on for about an hour and a half after. My cals total was 3171!!!! I was very please, Just wanna know what you think?
Thanks, Amy
Old 01-14-2006, 01:47 PM   #15  

I don't aim for a specific calorie count - (my HRM doesn't do calorie counts). But I was amazed by your numbers - what the heck are you doing to burn 1400 calories in one workout? (and even more calories after you were done working out) I have to practically kill myself for an hour to burn like 600 calories. Are you sure you have it programmed correctly with your age and weight and so on? Just curious... And kinda envious if your counts are right.