Old 11-27-2005, 02:53 PM   #1  
Pixie with Attitude :)

Default Starting workout tomorrow....

Hi everyone...

Well bought Jillian's bookl today...well hubby did for me

Gonna start my workout tomorrow (God help me)

I just wanna make a quick comment....

Why is it so expensive to eat healthy? I mean, I know compared to health there is no price tag, but geesh....money is tight here and to buy all or most healthy things, it gets pricy....

Why do I feel that way? No matter what, I will buy what is good for me, but still though.....lol....
Sexytink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 02:58 PM   #2  

Oh yeah, eating healthy is definetly more expenisve than eating whatever you want. Many things are based on your socio-economic status and food is no exception. LOL, I decided that since I cannot eat as much food because I have to pay more then I would probably lose more weight. I mean SHEESH! Look at the price of Organic foods compared to conventionally grown products.
Universityprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 05:53 PM   #3  
Downsizing Dee!

Good luck on the workout!

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:54 PM   #4  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Good luck on the workout. Are you following the workout in the book or doing something on your own?

I find that it's cheaper to be on plan, especially when I eat fast food. I eat it MUCH less, so that helps and often I only get a sandwich instead of the combo. And yes, the healthy stuff is expensive, but I didn't find the junk all that cheap.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:46 AM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexytink
Why is it so expensive to eat healthy? I mean, I know compared to health there is no price tag, but geesh....money is tight here and to buy all or most healthy things, it gets pricy....
Well, it may SEEM that way but I promise it doesn't have to be that way. What are we comparing? The McDonald's double cheeseburger to the McDonald's Apple Walnut salad? Yep, it's more. You're paying for convenience. Buy an apple and some yogurt at the supermarket and it will be less than a buck.

It took me awhile to learn the difference between healthy food and convenience food. And the latter will always cost more. I notice that when a lot of people are first starting to diet, they go out and buy all these foods in convenience packaging because it's what they're "suppose" to do. The big epiphany day for me was when I was at Henry's Food Market (Bulk produce/ health food store) and the cashier rang me up for like 40 items and it was less than $20. She was shocked and said, "Wow, you know how to shop." Actually, it was because I bought all whole foods that were in season.

Yes, chicken breasts cost more than ground beef. But you can buy frozen chicken breasts in bulk and get away with it. You'll also going to be eating less of those more expensive items.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:48 AM   #6  
One pound at a time...

SexyTink,

GoddessJessica is correct, I had the same epiphany last year. When I started out, I was buying all the pre-packaged weight loss frozen dinners, breakfasts and lunches and sometimes I would faint at the grocery bill! But, when I started to buy the ingrediants for my meals, I found I was able to buy a lot less and end up with a lot more meals. Especially if you buy stuff at the bulk stores or the vegetables/fruit that are in season.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:02 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I agree! It CAN be very expensive, but doesn't have to be. Our grocery bills have increased, but I am no longer paying for sandwiches out or buying stuff at the vending machine every day. We also go out to eat less often, and when we do, we eat less food. We buy a lot of stuff in bulk at Sam's and I repackage snacks in single servings. On the whole, we spend the same or even less on food when you take everything into account.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:16 AM   #8  
Pixie with Attitude :)

I know, it's just bad that you need to pay to be healthy....BUT in the long run, it will be so worth it....

I need to get off my butt soon and start my workout.....Have not even eaten breakfast yet

BAD Jen, BAD Jen....I'm just not hungry....
Sexytink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:01 PM   #9  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

I agree that eating healthily doesn't have to cost more. Reducing my portion sizes (especially the meat dish) reduced my grocery bills. And 6 bananas for a dollar (Canadian, at that! )? How many unhealthy snacks can you buy for less than 20 cents?
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:37 AM   #10  
Big Ol' loser

I can tell you I had the biggest resistance from DH because 'it cost more' but honestly a family meal in a box used to be a joke to us but now it fits. We are able to eat less and our grocery bill went down $50.
I did start out buying the frozen dinners for lunch but our grocery bill went up about $25 so we started just doing sandwiches- I like chicken with celery and light mayo. I can make one large can last all week. I buy whole wheat- so many brands make whole wheat so its not as expensive as it used to be.
goalnorolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:16 AM   #11  

Yeah, it's expensive. But the way I see it, so is high blood pressure/cholesterol meds, which I'll surely be on if I don't get some of this weight off. I think part of the reason it's so expensive for us is because DH & I make really good meals so we don't feel deprived. We may not eat much, but man, what we do eat is going to be good hehehe.

Good luck on the exercise. Try not to overdo like I did. I was so tired when I first started, that I could have slept a week hehehe.
TakinBabySteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:32 AM   #12  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Like others have said, when I cook from scratch I don't find it to be more expensive at all. It's convenience foods that kill your budget.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:55 AM   #13  

Some things are more expensive but I find that since I am increasing fruits and veggies and therefore decreasing expensive meats, I am spending less.

What kills me is how much protien drinks are. ugggg....

Jillians book...Does it explain (with pictures) how to do free weights?
Safora is offline   Reply With Quote