Old 11-27-2005, 04:20 PM   #1  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Smile Christmas...

Since the Holidays are here I thought it would be nice to start a thread about Christmas favorites. Favorite Christmas music, song, book, movie, traditions, etc. So...

What are your Christmas favorites ladies?
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 08:39 PM   #2  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

I still love the song by Toni Braxton,,,Snow Flakes of Love.

I will watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation,,and Elf,,,and Santa Claus.

I plan to start a new tradition and write a letter.

What are yours?
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:50 AM   #3  
One day at a time

Angie~I don't think I have heard Toni Braxtons Snow Flakes of Love, will have to check it out.

For me Christmas is not Christmas without Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, Home Alone 1 & 2 and Charlie Browns Christmas-I love those! Music: some of my favs are Michael Boltons Christmas CD-This Is The Time, Mariah Carey-love that song All I Want For Christmas is You! I'm trying to think of the Christmas CD's I have...believe it or not Elvis Presleys If Every Day Was Like Christmas is good, and I love, love, love Mannheim Steamroller! Vince and I saw them in concert 3 years ago and they were good! They were just here on the 22nd and I wanted to go but V had to work. I enjoy all Christmas music though but like to hear something other than the traditional stuff.

As far as traditions go...we don't really have any other than having our Christmas Dinner on Christmas Eve and then going to midnight mass.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:54 PM   #4  

Height: 5'1"

I have to watch Christmas Movies every year. National Lampoon is my favorite!! White Christmas is another favorite of mine. But that one I have to watch alone, both James & Jhanai say it's too long! I love it!

Music, I love listening to the classical christmas music, love listening to strings and piano. I'll even turn on the radio station that plays only Christmas songs right after Thanksgiving!

There is this one song that I like, but I"m not sure who sings it, but it's to the tune of "Greensleeves" anyone know who I'm talking about??? I'm not even sure if I'm right about that, but I do know I like that song.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:50 PM   #5  
A Turtle loser

S/C/G: 254/239/200

Traditions; We make tamales every xmas, my sister will be coming up with my mom and her family, and will make about 3-4 dozen enough to have for dinner and few to put in the frezer, when i was a kid my grandma and dad would make about 100+ dozens of tamales and we us kids would make them days on end. glad we dont make and sell anymore

I like the song feliz navidad and little drummer boy, when I was a kid i lived to watch little drummer boy it still has a soft spot in my heart. today it is mary did you know it makes me cry and i enjoy handels messiah....I like them all now that i think of it

My favorite memory was when i was about 9-10 years old we were at a family friends house it was one of those nights everyone was there......all us kids were watching some xmas movie and we heard sleigh bells......my parents and other parents got together and hired a horse and sleigh and Santa driving and delivered to us our prsents,by name, i was amazed,I mean how did he know I was there and not at home.....*giggling* ( it helps if you have lots of snow)
Michelle1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 05:51 PM   #6  

Height: 5'1"

Michelle--Your childhood memory sounds magical!! I'll have to dig into my brain and remember some childhood memories.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:40 PM   #7  

One year we did a special memories/meaning Christmas. Each present had a note attached with a hint about the contents. Example: flannel pj's for dd - note said "Something G'ma Bonnie always wore in the wintertime". I also found a full set of Smurf glasses (the ones that Hardee's gave away when dd was little) at a garage sale. Gave those to her with a note about something special from her childhood. It really helped to give meaning to the presents.

Each year I give each girl an ornament for Christmas. This is always the present they got to open on Christmas Eve. Then, when they moved out on their own or went to college, they got to take their ornaments and had a good sized collection for their own tree. I keep doing this each year and now they do it for their children so I guess I started a tradition.
poohshunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:16 PM   #8  
GmaTo8

Default I cut, pasted, and edited this from last year. :)

Great thread, Cristi!

Movies - It's a Wonderful Life, Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, Holly and Ivy, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (original version), A Christmas Carol (any version, including the one with a female lead, "Ebbie"). We usually watch Home Alone at Thanksgiving. Although we own the movie, it is on T/G night every year, and we rewatch it then.

Music - Martina McBride's Christmas CD is my favorite. I like just about any Christmas music, so I took all my Christmas CDs and separated them into "reverent" songs and "fun" songs and made two new CDs. Lots of different artist. They include everything from Madonna's Santa Baby, and a parody of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen called "The Bathroom Door Said Gentlemen" to the sweetest - What Child is This, Little Drummer Boy, and all the other traditional ones.

Our Tradition - I mentioned this recently on another thread, but here goes again, lol. On Christmas Eve, my kids and grandkids all come over. We turn the phones off, and gather in the living room with the bible open to St. Luke, Chapter 2, verses 1-20. The verses are marked in pencil with each readers name (so we can include new people later), and we each read our passage, handing the bible to the next one, as we finish. Everyone listens, and I think we all feel a little humbled. Then Neal puts on his trusty Santa hat, and no less than 2 big-eyed grandkids will scramble up on his lap for the reading of Twas the Night Before Christmas. After the "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!", we open presents. Katie and the grandkids pass them out, one at a time, and we watch and see what the person got, before going on to the next one. While somebody else bags up the wrapping paper, (and you can bet Neal will stick a big bow on his bald pate, lol) I bring out the food and we all just sit and visit while the kids try out their new stuff. After awhile, it's time for the Christmas Eve service at church.

On Christmas Day, they all come back for a noon dinner. I know there will be some years that they won't all make it for this, but while it's still going on, I'm one happy elf.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:53 AM   #9  
a work in progress

Omigosh, I love Christmas!!!!! Last year was really hard because I was depressed anyway, and Tim got called out of town right before Christmas to work training people in PA, of all places, and I missed him terribly and felt very alone. This year will be better...I feel more Christmas-y already, even though we haven't gotten the tree up yet.

Movies/Shows: "A Christmas Carol", particularly the George C. Scott version (he is the best Scrooge ever), but also the one with Patrick Stewart; "A Christmas Story"; "Charlie Brown Christmas"; "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (the animated one narrated by Boris Karloff); "It's a Wonderful Life"; "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer"; we saw "Elf" last year and it was great; and probably a lot more I can't think of right now...

Books/Stories: "The Story of Holly and Ivy" by Rumer Godden (still have the copy I had as a little kid), "Take Joy" by Tasha Tudor; "Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry.

Music: all of it!!! I love the Mannheim Steamroller CD's, and I love all of the old traditionals, too. I made a custom CD about a week ago -- everything from Andy Williams' "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year", to Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLachlan's "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings", to Whitney Houston's full-gospel choir backed "Joy to the World", to Gary Hoey's rock version of "Carol of the Bells". It's eclectic, but it makes me happy and sing along. Loudly. In the car, of course, but other drivers look at me kinda funny...
Katiecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:35 PM   #10  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

I went for a rehearsal for the christmas caroling at the zoo...I didn't know about 4 songs,,and had no idea how to read music,,,this will be fun. Even with voice lessons,,,i didn't know which pitch my voice is,,,so I sang all areas...yes even the deep bass.
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:08 PM   #11  
One day at a time

ANGIE--I bet you were GREAT! One day I would love to hear you sing and see some of those plays!

MARYKATE--I too love all Christmas music! I made a tape a few years ago of some of my favs but think it is time to make a couple of CD's!

POOHSHUNNY--I did that for a few years...gave the kids a new ornament each year. It is a nice tradition that I too hope they pass on to their children when and if they have any.

MICHELLE--how sweet. I never would have thought to do that but what a memory. I have a friend that cooks tamales on Christmas day. We (the kids & I) spent the day with her and her family and man can they make some good ones!

JANE--yes, Martin McBrides Christmas CD is a good one! We saw her Christmas concert 3 years ago, same year we saw Mannheim Steamroller, within a month of each other and boy was it good! I love they way she sings period but the Christmas songs are wonderful. You would have loved the concert though, as would your DGD's. the beginning of it she talked, sang a couple of kid'ish songs and then asked the kids to come up on stage and she read a story and sang to them. She had her DD's there also, along with the rest of her family of course but the DD's were on stage with her, little Emma was so cute! After that she changed and got serious. If you ever have the chance to see the Christmas concert I definitely recommend it.

Of course I too LOVE the season! Love the decorating, the food, the music, wrapping gifts, not so much the shopping! I so enjoy driving around the neighborhoods looking at all the lights! I've done that since I was little and since the kids were small. It's such a magical time for me!