Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-26-2005, 04:07 PM   #1  

Default Protein Powder question

I have found a vanilla protein powder I like (Carb Solutions). It is whey/soy mix. The canister says very clearly to mix with cold water. What would happen if I mixed with hot water and added cinnamon and nutmeg for a lovely winter beverage? Would I destroy any of the nutrients? As far as clumping, I figure I'd use a wisk. On the same line of thinking, can I add it to my McCann's quick cooking oatmeal made in the microwave with water? (ingredients: 100% Irish Oats, for those interested, and quite tasty) Thanks ...
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 04:28 PM   #2  
Opulent

Adding hot water wouldn't alter the nutritional properties at all. You certainly could use it any of the ways you have mentioned and it wouldn't alter the nutritional value in any significant way (although some people believe microwaving does damage food).
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:33 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I do put protein powder in my oatmeal and it tastes luvverly I think the nutrients would still be the same, I read somewhere (perhaps stumptuous) that most of the protein we eat is cooked (like in a chicken breast) and it doesn't change the nutrients any.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:46 AM   #4  

hi Ellen,

Why not just try it out? The worst that could happen is that it turns out icky, and you throw it away. You only risk a bit of the powder imo.
Live adventurous! just give it a try!

rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh the vanilla in oatmeal sounds delish! Right now I only have chocolate, and somehow that's not nearly as appealing.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:22 PM   #6  
Mel

Ellen- I tried protein powder with Irish oats and the result was a cement like mixture Regular old fashioned oatmeal and pp is fine, but I personally couldn't get through the pp and Irish oats. I love them plain with cinnamon, but the combo just didn't work for me!

I use pp (a blended form) for baking. I called the manufacturer and they told me it wouldn't change the nutritional value.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:06 AM   #7  

Thanks for all your inputs - I will try as a warm drink tonight. I hear you on the oats, Mel. I add more hot water after I make it - like most people would add milk or cream.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:31 AM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

Default Not really related to the oatmeal question but...

On the clumping question: I bought a Cuisenart (sp?) hand blender at Sam's (about $29) with a whisk attachment, tornado type blender attachment that goes directly into a cup, and a mini food processer/chopper attachment. I first tried the whisk to mix up my PP with alarming results - picture globs of chocolate PP all over me, the counter and the ceiling. Of course, a hand whisk wouldn't do the same thing but the tornado stickitinthecup method works like a charm. Couple of pulses and it's completely mixed. A few more pulses and I you could get whipped chocolate cream from 2% milk.
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote