Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 07:42 AM   #1  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

Default Spira Shoes?

I'd love to hear any experiences with the spira brand shoe. I tried a pair on yesterday and they SEEM comftorable but wearing one shoe while walking down a little piece of carpet for 30 seconds hasn't convinced me to shell out the money for them yet.

anyone??

Lacey
Old 11-23-2005, 09:35 AM   #2  

Question

Hi,
I am always looking for comfortable shoes but I have never heard of these. Can you tell me more? Thanks

Sheridan
Old 11-23-2005, 10:41 AM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Huh - you think THOSE are high priced...get a load of the ones I saw in the Bliss Spa catalog and posted about here...at $255 a pop!

(no, I didn't buy them...I'm skeptical about anything being advertised as "anti-Cellulite"...also I'm pretty sure I would fall flat on my a$$ if I wore them in the gym )

I checked those Spira shoes out briefly at the Zappos website and they're $133 a pair, which is a bit on the high side but about the same price you would pay for a pair of upper-end New Balances (that is if you were paying full retail - I don't remember the last time I paid full retail for a pair of athletic shoes myself).

I browsed thru some runners' forums and the verdict on the shoes appears to be mixed - apparently they've been around for at least a couple years so you should be able to find a discount SOMEWHERE.

Don't know what kind of shoe store you went to but if you have one in your area, you might try going to one that specializes in running shoes...usually the staff is more knowledgeable about these things (often being runners themselves).

If I find any more info, I'll add it to this thread.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

New Balance are amazing! I have wide feet, and the last time I bought shoes, my husband (who used to sell them) recommended that I buy mens (1.5 - 2 sizes "smaller" than the female size). The styles are so similar, I forget which of the three pairs of NB shoes I have are the men's size.

If you're a little less picky of style, retailers like JCPenny's often carries basic styles which go on sale for less than $50. Definitely the best value in good shoes in my opinion. My feet are so damaged from years of abuse, I can only wear New Balance and Birkenstock.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:50 PM   #5  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

Sheridan,
Here is their website: http://www.spirafootwear.com/ The springs actually are these little pieces of metal. I found some on ebay for $110 including shipping but am just so scared to buy them off from the internet and not a brick and mortar store where I could take them back, ya know?

Thanks for the advice regarding the other brands...of course my eye keeps going to the black and pink nike shox LOL

If I get some I'll let y'all know how they work for me LOL

ETA: an interesting little side note I found regarding the spiras. I found this on a shoe website which was selling the mens spiras
Quote:
Please Note: Spira™ shoes with patented WaveSpring™ technology have been banned for use in competition by USATF (United States of America Track and Field), the governing body of track and field.
Lacey

Last edited by bnbsmommy1; 11-23-2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:20 PM   #6  
Empress/Queen

Thanks for the website address, Lacey. Interesting shoes! A little too much technology for my feet, though.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:01 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Apparently the Spira footwear company is using the IAAF and USA Track & Field bans for a little extra publicity...

Athletics: Spira Footwear Launches 'Banned in Boston' Protest Against Governing Bodies of Track and Field

The company is asking people to register for their $1M prize - preferably elite runners, but of course they'll get hobby runners interested too, and sell LOTS of shoes - that's pretty cheap publicity for them...they only have to pay the $1 million IF someone entered in their contest AND wearing their shoes as specified in the rules...if no one wins they are out very little and if one of their contestants DOES win the $1M is paid out over 20 years oh and the winner risks being banned by US Track & Field and IAAF...not to mention this little bit:

Quote:
License to Spira, Appearances, Property. For no additional consideration, Runner grants to Spira the exclusive right and license to the use of Runner's name (or part thereof or nickname), likeness, voice, whether live or recorded, photograph signature or facsimile thereof, biographical material, statements, and any similar materials or descriptions and activities containing Runner's name or any part or likeness thereof for production, advertisement, manufacture, marketing, promotion, publicity, sale and distribution of any Spira products.
Hopefully the entrants will read the rules very carefully...especially if they're planning on going towards the Olympics as well since I would bet the EOCC wouldn't look TOO kindly on this either...because IMO $1Mill paid out over 20 years is a VERY small price for signing your marketing rights away!

(this isn't a comment on the shoes themselves...I think that what works for one person won't necessarily work for another...which is why I would recommend going to a store which has experienced salespeople who can help you make an informed decision!)
Old 11-23-2005, 08:29 PM   #8  

Default Thanks to you nall

Hi everybody,
Thanks for the helpful inflormation and links.I am a gadget junkie and will definitely check these out. I wonder if you can wear orthotics in them. Also your weight loses are impressive. I am hoping to get motivated and join you in success. Happy Holiday and Happy walking!
Sheridan
Old 11-26-2005, 11:37 PM   #9  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hey Just adding my 2 cents
I'm amazingly hard on shoes I replace mine every 5 months or so
Spira shoes while very comfortable wore out in 1 month! and i paid the $133
the soles are softer
do yourself the favor and get New Balance I don't have them next to me but I got a pair of their new women's running shoes (normally I wear boys b/c I have very wide small feet) and they're very comfy and I feel like I have space shoes on
Old 11-29-2005, 03:11 AM   #10  

Though I don't run or anything, I just had to add my thoughts on here. I have to admit, I LOOOOVE shoes but I'm also really cheap (it just means I can get more stuff when I go shopping lol, I rather have 3 outfits than one pair of $250 jeans) but anyway, I got a pair of shoes last time I was in the states for $4.50 american... I'm not kidding. They are great for me at the gym because it's all I really need. Despite the price they have stayed together very well, not falling apart yet and not showing signs of heavy wear even though I basically live in them! If you just go to the gym and wander around weight training and going on the treadmill or eliptical and are just starting a whole work-out schedule, I'd say try 'em out... cheap little things but hey, if you don't have any problems with your back or feet, go for it! If not, you have a cute pair of $5 kicks to run to the store in!
Closed Thread