Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 06:38 PM   #1  
I WILL REACH MY GOAL!

Default Support for "Low Carbers".....no 'chit-chat'....just 'kick butt'!

[COLOR=skyblue]Hi Everyone!

I came to this thread because it is called "clubs." Let's start a club for ANYONE on a low carb plan who is SERIOUS about taking off the FAT SUIT they have been wearing!!!

Not a thread for "chit chat" or recipes because there are plenty of those. I am talking about a real KICK BUTT- get yourself motivated - share and care kinda club where we get down to the business of reaching our goals!

I began the Atkins Plan on June 15 after putting on my bathing suit for the first time this summer and about puked my gutts out! Since that day I have taken off 28 pounds and have about 80 more to go. (I plan on being here for the long haul!) I am 5'9" and wear a size 18. I would like to get into my old size 14 jeans. (Anything less will be a bonus!)

I weigh in every Friday and plan to share my progress with you hoping you will do the same with me!

Please share a bit about yourself. I am a 43 year old happily married mom of two "college boys." (Prayers will be appreciated!) I am an administrative assistant who loves to travel, play trivia games and euchre and enjoy biographies. I have been battling the buldge for most of my adult life and have finally started to win the war!

If you are a fellow "low carber" who is serious about "removing the tonnage".........PLEASE climb aboard the BUS. All passengers are reminded that they are not permitted to depart the bus until the ride comes to a complete stop. (In other words.-.-.-. Until you reach your goal!)

I sure hope you decide to join this "club." We all need eachother. Who better to share with? I want to get to goal! Are you with me??????????
Old 08-31-2001, 07:51 PM   #2  
Work in Progress

Hey all,
My name is Pat I have been low carbing since Middle of July. No special plan just limiting my carbs to complex carbs and those from fruits and lots of vegs.

I am married no children and am a counselor in a male medium facility correctional facility. ( the things that I have seen and heard).

I have been overweight all my life. I have PCOS and thru research I it was suggested that maybe I would benefit from this woe. I certainly feel better. More energy, less PMS, Less mood swings.

I have lost over 10 # since the middle of July. It took me almost 6 months to lose the previous 10 #.

25_ hopeful way to go girl.

I will spread the word.

Pat
Old 09-01-2001, 09:26 AM   #3  

Smile

I AM GLAD TO HEAR THAT IT IS NOT JUST ME FEELING GREAT WITH THIS WOE. I FEEL FANTASTIC TOO. BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO DO IS DRINK WATER. IT STOPS YOU FROM BEEN CONSTIPATED, THIRSTY AND KEEPS YOU GOING. ALTHOUGH WE DO NOT GET HUNGRY WE ALWAYS MUST EAT. I AM ONLY HAVING ABOUT 20 CARBOS. BUT TODAY WENT TO THE ICE-CREAM PARLOUR AND IT WAS TOO COLD FOR ICE CREAM I HAD A PLATE OF NACHOS AND ONLY HAD ABOUT 25 GRAMS OF NACHOS ITSELF BUT MINCE, CHEESE AND SOUR CREAM WAS EXCELLENT. I CAME HOME AND FOUND OUT IT WAS WITHIN MY LIMITS AND TONIGHT I AM STILL IN KETOSIS. YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Old 09-01-2001, 10:12 AM   #4  

Thumbs down So this is where you all went . . .

Good morning!

Dana -- I just got the private message about the new location. Thanks! While I intend to keep checking in with the LC group (especially to help support new members and get recipes), I like the more personal approach of this thread. And the lack of criticism because I chose to limit how many threads with which I communicate.

Brief Bio:

My name is Joanne. I will be 38 in February. I have a step-daughter (13 tomorrow), a step-son (11-1/2), and a son (just turned 6). I've been married to a (usually) wonderful man for 7-1/2 years. I work as an administrative assistant in a manufacturing facility and need just three more classes to complete my associates degree in business management.

I have been obese since I was around ten (just plain fat before that). My mom swears I was a normal weight at birth but, if the pictures are to be believed, that lasted about 3 months.

I didn't go on my first diet until age 19 (WW). At one point, I managed to get down to 168 pounds (28 pounds from goal). But to obtain that I was doing strenuous exercise for 1-1/2 hours a day, 6 days a week (didn't exercise on Sundays) and eating ony 1,100 calories a day. I was constantly hungry. As soon as the cooler weather came, I stopped exercising. As I was going to college (took the summer off) and working 1-1/2 jobs, fast food became my meal of choice. Long story short -- I put back on over 100 pounds in roughly 11 months.

Under Atkins (when I follow it ), I've lost 12 pounds in roughly 3 weeks (took out the days I wasn't OP). That without an serious exercising due to the extreme heat we've had here (I get heat sick in temperatures over 80 or high humidity). When I'm OP, I'm not hungry and I sleep like a log (insomnia is my best friend when I eat too many carbs ).

Ok. So that wasn't such a "brief" bio.

I hope to be able to share my experiences with other to help them and to obtain support, advise, and, when necessary, a good kick in the pants!

Be talking to you all soon!

Old 09-01-2001, 05:57 PM   #5  

Hi There.

I was overweight since I was born. I weighed 10 lb 10 when I was born 36 years ago. I have been fighting with the concept for obesity for my entire life.

I have been on all types of diets - made my hungry just like you. I used to weigh in at WW then had a feed of fish and chips.

But now I can handle anything that may deter me in previous times.

I have no children but a boss like a little child.

My husband is fantastic. He is doing the diet with me occasionally I might give him fries or has browns.

In the last seven weeks I have only brought three loves of bread. I got the seconbd one out the freezer last night.

So shopping is real cheap. A tray of eggs last me about 10 days if I am lucky.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Michelle
Old 09-01-2001, 06:53 PM   #6  
Work in Progress

Hi all!!!
I am still OP doing OK. My DH who is also on the plan w/ me enjoyed the zucchini lasagna I made tonite. I still wonder where the man I married is LOL. He wouldn't eat zucchini. He has lost more weight. It isn't fair that men can do that so much easier. I will take my measurements tomorrow. I for got today.

Michelle nice to meet ya.
Isn't it amazing at the amount of energy we get from this woe?I am amazed ,ost of the time

jdoneil1 Way to go on the weight loss so far I am very glad you wandered over here. I missed you and the others. I really enjoyed the low carb support thread.

Dana how are you.
I hope some others you e-mailed come on over.
I posted some invitations thruout the forum

Pat
Old 09-01-2001, 09:12 PM   #7  

Angry Made it through dinner.

Good evening.

Well, for those of you who read it on The Wagon thread, I had to sit through dinner with my husband's ex in celebration of their/our daughter's 13th birthday today. I was dreading it because the woman has a habit of bringing up "taboo" subjects and causing a scene. She did bring up one issue (our daughter lives with my husband and us now and we set her bedtime at 9:00; his ex agrees with Jen (daughter) that it should be 10:00 and made a major issue of it in the middle of dinner). I finally, firmly told her that while I appreciate her opinion, she is not the one dealing with Jen on less than adequate sleep and that her bed time would stay at 9:00 and that was final. She let it drop -- although I doubt that's the end of the subject. Now even my husband is bugging me to let Jen stay up to 9:30! None of them are the ones who have to deal with the child in the morning when she doesn't want to get up 'cause she's too tired. Nor does my husband have to deal with her in the afternoon when she's exhausted and I have to nag her to do her homework and her chores. Personally, I think 9:00 is too late. She get's to listen to her CD player for about 15-20 minutes when she goes to bed as it is which means her "real" bedtime (i.e., when she goes to sleep) is already 9:30-9:45. To top it all off, my brother-in-law (husband's oldest brother) was there and he actually told me I was too strict with my kids and I should give them a little more leeway. This from a man who sees his nephews and neice maybe 7 or 8 times a year! And doesn't get to see his own 10-year-old daughter but once a month.

Oh. Sorry. I got caught up in the leftover emotions and rambled again.

Anyway. I had the lobster stuffed with lobster meat (scrapped off as much of the bread-type stuffing on top) with drawn butter and about 1 cup of broccoli au gratin. Yum! I do admit to eating a sliver (we're talking really skinny) piece of chocolate cake. Not too bad considering at that point I was so upset I could easily have consumed the entire cake!

Bright note: I think his ex (Donna) realized she'd upset me because she pulled me aside before we left to tell me how much she appreciated my being their to show a united family for Jen's birthday. Even though she felt I was probably very uncomfortable ('Ya think?!? ). I remember my manners (Mom taught me well) and lied through my teeth when I said that it wasn't uncomfortable at all and that I'd had a good time. (Oh, well. Mom would be proud.)

Will post tomorrow with the impact of today's indiscretions. Bye for now.

Last edited by jdoneil1; 09-01-2001 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-01-2001, 09:20 PM   #8  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Hi girls I am here!!!! Just thought that i would come on down and see you I need this group.

I am Sue 41 years young and still getting younger everyday ( i mean that litterally ) when i was at my heavieset last year i loked 10 years older and half the energy i do now! I toped 235 and at 5'2" that is a lot i was in size 24's now just over a year (with some serious falls) i am down 54 lbs. and weigh about 181. I am trying really hard to see 170's by labor day it will be tight!!!

I an a diehard low carber and a definate carb addict. if i stay away from the carbs i do great and really can withstand most temptation but give me some carbs and i am lost so i call for help (or the Tape ) when i get weak! I have taken 41 years to realize that i am an addict!

I have 4 kids 16 Tamara 12 Katie 8 Matt 6 Ben. and Tom for a DH, who can be as frusterating as TOM I have a dog and very old house. I live in upstate NY (not as far up as Pat)

So anyways I am so glad that you all are here, and welcome michelle. Hi Pat and Dena and Joanne.

I had my BF tested and was losing 4 lbs of muscle so i must increase my protien, I need to count my foods again. I did lose fat.

I am seeing a trainer to loose this fat suit. and it is working. I am in KICK BUTT mode and do not want to stop. I want to be at goal by the time I hit 42 (December) that sould be about 10 lbe a month.

well enough for my book. I am going to eat some fish
Old 09-01-2001, 09:45 PM   #9  
I WILL REACH MY GOAL!

First of all HELLO to you all and glad you came aboard the bus. There are PLENTY of seats left...so grab some buddies who want to reach goal too!

my buddy nasus.......GOOD TO SEE YOU HERE! This bus has seat belts...(no need to be duct taped in here)...so there is no danger in falling OFF the bus! I know I can count on your enthusiam to help keep the bus heading in the right direction as everyone's scales head in the LEFT direction!

my dear fralick......I know that YOUR enthusiam is contagious too...so I am thrilled to see you here! We can do it girl! (You and nasus have seats up front!)

jdoneil...my Atkins buddy! Happy to see you posting here! How are you doing on Atkins? I am still on plan and feeling great. (It works!)

louvainwhk......Welcome aboard the bus! Low carb IS the way to go! (I wish I would have known that 100 pounds ago! Keep posting and get to goal with the gang!

I took my "baby" to college today. (Now BOTH sons are in college so we are officially "empty nesters." I only cried a little. It was a long day....but I managed to stay on plan. When we came home hubby and I opened a bottle of wine we had been saving to "toast" the occasion. It is the ONLY thing OFF PLAN that has crossed my lips since I began on June 15....but I feel this is a SPECIAL occasion. I remember the nurse placing him in my arms 18 years ago as if it were yesterday......and now......he is in college. Where does the time go?

Have a great rest of the evening all! I will post again on Sunday!
Old 09-02-2001, 06:33 AM   #10  
Work in Progress

Good Sunday Morning to you all!!
Labor Day is tomorrow, school for us NNY's starts Weds. And then it will be winter. As you will come to know me you will soon see that I hate winter. Already greiving the summer and dreading the short days of the next season. SIGH........
I didn't do well on water yesterday, unfortunately didn't get it until 7:00pm. And I didn't want to spend all night in the bathroom . So today I will try to hydrate myself. And I will not be stepping on the scale today as a result. Food did well. I picked up some fresh vegetables at a local stand and I was thinking that I will miss them when we have to rely on the supermarkets this winter.
I was checking out the Sugar Busters forum . They have a Page that lists the links associated w/ that woe which could be informative to a newbie such as myself. The moderator there certainly has done alot of work over there. SHe has lost alot( I don't remember the exact amout) but currently weighs in the 120's. They seem like a pretty tight bunch. But she should be proud of teh work and effort she has put into that forum. The page is the first reply on there weekly thread.

Maybe that could be a goal for us when we go from misc club/group to official LOL .

Any way,

Joanne, I too have a step daughter. That isn't easy no matter ho well everyone gets along. I agree that it is easier for those that do not have to wake the child up to side w/ her. I don't think 9:00 pm is to early a bed time. Especially the amount of things that kids have to cope w/today. Good for you w/ your woe. I would have caved on the cake( Ilove cake). My motto is never let them see ya sweat. I think you handled yourself swell.
PS I would put it back on the kid. When she shows that she onl;y needs an alarm clock to wake her like all adults maybe her bed time could be discussed. Then the pressure is off you.

Dana, Oh my goodness girl. All the kids are gone HUH? Time sure does fly. I think you deserved a little wine to celebrate the event, as well as starting the next chapter of your life. You are awesome being OP since June !!!!!

Hey Sue, I missed you. Sorry about job stress. I can certainly appreciate that. I though tof you yesterday when I was picking up my vegs. They had corn . I skipped. My DH is losing weight faster. Than I of course. ANd has become a little bunny. He was a strict meat and potos guy just a few months ago. Now is salads and lean meat. WHich has made my success so far alot easier.
Michelle How are you doing?
Well I'll check in later
PAT
Old 09-02-2001, 06:24 PM   #11  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Pat I started to laugh when you said that he had become a little bunny till i read down further I just hear that my corm man is in the hospital and besides the good corn is gone and i am happy so cheating on that is out!

Dana get that seatbelt tight I willneed it tomorow, we are celebrating my MIL's b-day and i have to avoid temptation or i will be lost!!! I think that the bottle of wine is just cause in this case. wow off to college now do not get the empty nest and start making goodies for them and send it to them( there is too much temptation to taste) just buy thenm the cookies packaged!!!

Joanne and michelle how are you guys doing today??? staying OP??? if you didnot come back and let dana strap you in, she has the but up to a good speed!!!
Old 09-03-2001, 06:13 AM   #12  
Work in Progress

My goodness, I can't believe the number of lurkers viewing our little thread. Please feel free to join in anywhere. This is a new opportunity to share about your desire, trouble, questions and support for low carb woe in your weight loss journey.

This thread is an opprtunity for me to get what I need as I struggle and learn about this woe . I just need help and support in my weight loss journey.

Any way.
Struggled a bit last night with cravings. Coped with legal snacks. But was concerned as I hadn't been eating when I wasn't hungry. I wonder if I got into something w/ some hidden sugar. It hasn't happened in a while. I also might be drinking too much crystal light. Will focus on plain old water today. see if that helps.
Spent some more time over in the sugar busters forum again yesterday.
If you are new to low carb or if you have questions head on over there. They maintain alot of their information. Some of the material is strictly related to the sugar busters woe, however they have articles, web sites, recipes and even words of inspiration all catagorized. Just click onto the weekly thread and the links are included in the first post. Alot of information regarding those w/ insulin resistance. Alot of work on the moderater and other members of the forum !!

Enjoy your Labor Day
Will check in later

Sue- Good luck at the picnic. Just pull your seatbelt a little tighter.

Dana, Michelle and Joanne how are you doing?

Pat

Last edited by 1fralick; 09-03-2001 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-03-2001, 07:56 AM   #13  

Just a quick hi from over at Low Carb!

Isn't that Sugar Buster forum great! It realy helped me last year when I was looking for a break from Atkins.

Because plateaus do happen, and you can get into a rut on thie WOE, I find I can use all the encouragement I can get! So I read any and all I can: here at 3fc's, other websites and just about every book on the market!

I post over at the Low Carb! section here at 3fc's because it's the largest group of experienced low carbers I've found. There is truly a ton of collected knowledge and just plain good ideas for the problem-solving and the tons of little questions that pop up each day with this WOE. And anyone can ask for help, just join in any time!

have a good one, chickies,

dottie
Old 09-03-2001, 10:39 AM   #14  

Unhappy Barley hanging on to the bumper . . .

Hi!

Ok. I don't know what's wrong with me (other than PMS). I start each day totally motivated, in control, and OP. By dinner/later night, I'm (just) barley holding onto the bumper of this bus!

I did excellent yesterday. Very low carb. Then I got tied up working in the home office last night. By the time I got down to dinner (DH fixed it), almost all of the garlic-seasoned steak was gone. All that was left was about 2 oz and a huge pile of dill-seasoned carrots. I was still very hungry after eating steak and 1/2 cup of carrots. Then they brought out the left-over birthday cake. I'll admit it. I gave in and had a pretty big portion. Then I had a bowl of cereal (and not the "healthy" kind either). I was full and feeling mighty guilty. To make matters worse, all that suger kept me up until almost 1:00 AM.

Got on the scale the moring. No duh. Up 1 pound.

Back on track this morning. One piece of 10 carb toast with 2 slices of American cheese and coffee (actually more filling than it sounds).

Anyone care to haul my (sizeable) butt back onto the bus?!?

Any and all comments welcome. This is getting to be depressing. I need more control. I know I feel great on Atkins. Maybe it's just PMS.

Sorry for the "me" post. (Yes, I know you told me not to apologize for that but I was raised to believe the talking about yourself consistantly is poor manners.)

Will post later with updates and support to the rest of the group. Need to shake these blues first.

Old 09-03-2001, 11:54 AM   #15  

But JD, read over your post and you'll see the problem!

You only ate 2 oz meat! with carrots!

don't blame yourself for the evening's cheats, your blood sugar was dropping like crazy and you were CRAVING SUGAR (glucose).
It's really important to keep your blood sugar even by eating small meals often, and not to let yourself get so hungry!

Hope today goes better! Pat yourself on the back, have a few glasses of water, and take a nap.(read a book, have a walk?)

each meal starts another chance!

dottie
Closed Thread