Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-21-2005, 04:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default Stress Fracture and Weight Lifting

I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure I have a stress fracture of my right foot. I had one before when I weighed 80 lbs. more than I do now--got it just from walking around looking for a lost dog. I think I had to wear a special boot thing.

If I do indeed have a stress fracture, I know I will need to quit doing the cardio stuff except for my hydrofit (unless a cast is involved, which hopefully won't be the case), but I'm wondering if weight lifting will be out. I don't really see why it would because I don't think anything I do puts weight on my foot except maybe calf raises.

Just curious if anyone else has had a stress fracture of the foot, and if they had to stop weight lifting because of it?
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:25 PM   #2  
Meg

Oh ouch, Sheila! Fingers crossed that it's not a stress fracture! But if it is and your doctor says it's OK, there's lots that you can still do.

I have a client who had a stress fracture in her foot last summer and worked out with me for two months while on crutches. We were able to do lots of upper body - seated, not standing. Actually, I can't think of any UB exercise that we couldn't adapt ... As for legs, she was allowed to do extensions, seated and lying curls, and the inner and outer thigh machines since none of those involved pressure on the foot. We used 2 1/2 pound ankle weights for front and side lying leg lifts and used a resistance ball for hammie curls and leg lifts. Leg press was obviously out.

I don't remember if you work out at home or in a gym. If it's a gym, you should be just fine. If it's at home, legs may be a bit more challenging, but you may be able to do some exercises with ankle weights and a resistance ball.

Good luck!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 09:23 PM   #3  

I started my weight lifting program with 2 stress fractures in my left foot. I did entire upper body sitting down and did quads on bench. I did hams with resistance bands. As foot healed a bit, I did squats and plie squats against a ball against the wall for support. The only parts that didn't get worked were calves. If the doctor suggests a permanent cast, tell her/him it would alter your lifestyle tremendously and be a huge inconvenience. Mine suggested one and I told him that and he said an air cast actually WORKS better, but they suggest the permanent because too many people are not disciplined enough to keep the air cast on all the time (I, BTW, was not and it took 12 weeks to heal).

Good luck!
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote