Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 08:18 PM   #1  

Question Whats the deal with diuretics?

First of all Hi.. im new here.

I just was wondering if anyone has used diurex or any diuretics (water pills)?... I have heard that they are good for relieving excess bloat and water weight, but i just really dont know that much about them...

If anyone has tried them before or knows anything, please let me know.

thank you.. I appreciate it
Eve
Old 11-17-2005, 08:39 PM   #2  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Hi Eve ! Welcome!

If you are planning to use them as a weight-loss aid, please don't. I don't know THAT much about them except that it IS possible to get "addicted" to them. My mother was anorexic for 15 years, and reached a point where she felt she "couldn't survive" without her water pills. Goodness knows the effect all those years of the stuff had on her body -- but it can't be good. I also saw a program (on the Discovery Channel possibly?) about a woman who was so addicted to water pills, she had to enter REHAB. Which was bizarre...

My theory is that if you're bloated, there's a reason. Everyone gets bloated now and then, and your body is perfectly designed to work everything out for you without outside "help." I suspect diuretics really mess up the normal functioning of your anti-diuretic and diuretic hormones, which CAN'T be good, and who the heck knows what they do to your electrolyte balance, etc. Again, your body knows just what it needs (and doesn't need) as far as water goes, and in my opinion, your body should basically be left alone to do what it does naturally. Just my opinion, though.

I actually have no idea what purpose they're supposed to serve...meaning, what "medical" condition -- if any -- they're meant to treat. I just know I've heard really-not-good things about them.

Plus, if you lose weight on diuretics, OBVIOUSLY it's just water-weight you will lose -- which isn't the real goal, right?

Having said all that, if your doctor prescribes them for a medical reason, then of course you should take them.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable will post after me, as I doubt this response was very helpful.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:21 PM   #3  

Thanks hun,
I really appreciate your comment. I was just needing a little bit more education on the whole aspect so thank you.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:22 AM   #4  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

You're welcome . Like I said, hopefully someone who knows more about them will post...my info isn't exactly scientific or anything .

Good luck
Old 11-18-2005, 11:21 AM   #5  

There ARE valid reasons to use diuretics -- doctors often prescribe them, or prescribe medications that have a diuretic effect, for various conditions. For example, nearly anyone with heart disease, high blood pressure, etc. will take diuretics. They are also used to treat any condition that causes swelling or other types of fluid collection. The might also be prescribed for people with liver and kidney ailments. Etc.

If you are healthy and don't NEED diuretics for medical conditions, there's no harm in using the over-the-counter versions OCCASIONALLY. For example, some women who retain a lot of water during their period might take them for that day or two when the bloating is the worst if it makes them really uncomfortable. However, as Kate also mentioned, taking them for weight control is pointless at best (the "weight" will come back as soon as you stop taking them) and dangerous at worst.
Closed Thread