Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 11-09-2005, 12:53 AM   #1  

Red face Trying...

I have been trying to lose weight before getting pregnant again. I have had two miscarriages and no children yet. I would really like to be pregnant this winter and I would like to lose weight before it happens. I want to lose the weight more for a health reason, I want a healthy pregnancy, than for looking good, although that is a HUGE bonus.

What have you all done to lose wieght before getting pg? I am sacred to try nything drastic because I don't want to do anything that may increase my risk of having another m/c. I just need some motivation and some helpful tips and anything you may have!

Good luck all, and I'm excited to get to know you better!

Korey
Korey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:12 PM   #2  

Actually I would have loved to have been your weight pre-PG. I too had a m/c in June and it took me 3 months trying to conceive afterwards to get PG with this one and I'm considerably over 200. My Dr. has never said anything about my weight but at this point, I'm still fairly sick, I've done nothing but lose 20 pounds. Good luck.
lakelog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:29 PM   #3  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

S/C/G: 260/252/140

Height: 5'5

I don't know how tall you are, but it doesnt sound like you have a great deal of weight to lose. Do you have health concerns in addition - like high blood pressure - or is it just the weight you are worried about? Two doctors have told me that while it's best to be at your 'healthy' weight before conception, it's no reason to avoid it either. I weighed 212 when I got pregnant and today, at 23 weeks, am still at 212 lbs. I will probably not gain much, because I eat healthy (usually ) and already have plenty of maternal fat stores! So, don't stress out about it, just eat healthy and live a healthy lifestyle, I think that's more important to having a healthy baby than the # on the scale.
HoosierHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:12 AM   #4  

I'm 5'2" and my BMI is 31. I carry a lot of weight in my midsection. I am not going to wait until I lose weight to get pg, I would just like to lose weight as I am waiting to be pg, you know? I am more worried about just having overall health and energy. Also, many women in my fmaily suffer from diabetes and I really want to get my weight under control so that I can at least help with that factor. Right now I am going to Curves and trying to eat better. I am going to buy another water bottle tomorrow to carry with me, I tend to forget to drink water otherwise.
Dana, congrats on your preganancy. My last m/c was on July 1st. I would love to be pg next month, but well see what's in store for me!

Korey
Old 11-10-2005, 01:48 AM   #5  

I am sorry to read of the loss of your two babies...hugs to you and yours.

I would recommend the south beach diet.. it focuses on wholefoods and lots of vegies, low fat dairy and lean proteins... I have pcos which effects my fertility and have found my cycle to be very reliable which doing south beach.. it helps to balance your blood sugars which has a corresponding effect on your oestrogen. Also if you are carrying weight in your midsection and have a family history if diabetes you may be insulin resistant.. (I am as well) and the south beach diet is very good for that.

Good luck with your weightloss whatever plan you decide on
Marianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:55 PM   #6  

Thanks girls! I never thought that my blood sugar and insulin might affect my fertility. I will definitely mention it to my doctor and see what he thinks.. as soon as I get a new doctor We just moved and everyone is full up.

Mary, I love your friends story. I would love to have twins when we get pregnant next. What a blessing that would be!
Old 11-13-2005, 05:45 PM   #7  

Hi Korey,
I am in a similar situation to yours. I had a miscarriage in July, and my husband and I also want to ttc again this winter. I am also trying to lose weight before I get pregnant again because I want to do everything possible to have a healthy, full-term pregnancy. I have been following the weight watchers diet (but am not going to meetings. I got all the info from my mom who successfully lost weight on the diet. She is a borderline diabetic, and the plan really helped her keep her bloodsuger in check.), doing 30-40 minutes of cardio 4 days a week, and strength training 2 days a week. I have lost about 4 pounds this last month, which isn't a lot, but a 1 pound loss a week is a pretty safe amount to lose.
I also carry a water bottle with me all the time, which has really helped me.
Anyway, good luck and take care!
--Maya
MissingMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:17 PM   #8  

I had wanted to lose weight before I was pregnant with my first which didn't happen since he was a bit of a suprise. After he was born I had lost all but 5lbs of any gains from being pregnant just by simply having changed my eating habits while I was pregnant. Taking a multi vitamin every day while I was pregnant turned into taking one when I wasn't. Eating smaller portions but more frequent meals and snacks that were more fruits and veggies or yogurt. Now that I'm pregnant with my second I'm trying to not gain as much as I did with my first (only 25 lbs thankfully) by also trying to get a little exercise and eating healthier snacks now that I am not working and had a hard time getting my fill during the day. Plus I'm trying really hard not to eat much at night, that is my worst picking time. Plus having support from my DH is a big motivation. Hope all goes well with you in your journey to a healthier you.
violet1amythest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 09:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 191/187/141

Height: 5'4"

Korey,

I just wanted to post to give you a little hope through my story.

I suffered 2 miscarriages in 2003. One in February and one in August. I was devastated. My husband and I didn't even know we really wanted kids until our first surprise. But after we lost the first we realized that it was something we were ready for and something we wanted.

After the first, I was very unhappy with the practice I was with so I switched to a new doctor who turned out to be our angel. She was unable to save the second pregnancy but became very proactive in helping us. We ran every test under the sun, kept me on prego vitamins, started a baby aspirin a day ultrasounds......

We gave ourselves about 7 months after #2 and the first month we tried the test was positive . I continued on the baby aspirin and went on progesterone suppositories until 14 weeks... Well, I got the best Christmas present ever last year. We brought our son home on Christmas Eve.

So, I just wanted to let you know it was possible.

Good Luck,
Amanda

Ps: Pre-pg weight 192, Delivery weight 215, Post-delivery weight 192,
Current weight 189
Starting to ween finaly comfortable losing weight
OBsMama is offline   Reply With Quote