Old 11-14-2005, 08:50 AM   #1  
Big Ol' loser

Thumbs up the gym!

I got my membership late saturday. Anyone notice how its like going to a car dealer to get a gym membership?
We got a great deal and got an 18 mo membership for $550. It was normally $1300+ but I have a discount through my work. Its basically 30 mo and we can renew it at the end of 18 mo for the same price. I was pretty pleased. Its for me, my husband and my oldest son. They also have a daycare for $1. Which is just awesome.

I got up today at 545 a.m. went to the gym and walked for 1 mi on the treadmill and then did the elliptical for 3 mins(I have to work up to higher) and then sat in the sauna for 5
I want to work out 6 days a week. But we'll see head or heart wins on that one. For example:

This a.m. I laid there having an argument in my head. I kept saying 'I'll go tonight' , then I thought its monday, you'll be tired after work, you'll have to cook dinner, straighten the house you won't goto the gym. Then I thought but I'm tired what will it hurt if I don't go?. Then I reminded myself of my goal and how much I have to lose and its not going to just keep falling off. So I creaked out of bed all achey got dressed while the whole house was dark and quiet.

Anyway hopefully I'll see the benefits of it pretty quick In my clothes and on the scale. But I used to work out before and I loved the a.m. Loved getting up early and starting the day out at the gym.
goalnorolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:18 AM   #2  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

The gym is nothing but a mind game. You just gotta get there. My little one has started swimming, so that should get me there 2 times a week at least. Plus hubby is onboard and he wants to work-out too.

I used to be at the gym at 5:30 3 days a week and I loved it. These days, Hub leaves the house at 5:00 am, so that's not an option, but I plan on starting my days with WATP. That way no matter what my day throws at me, I've worked out!

Congrats on making it to the gym today!!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:03 PM   #3  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

Congratulations Liz. You went, that's the hard part. It's more than I do a lot of days.
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:10 PM   #4  
Sick of Fat

S/C/G: 240/183/150

At least you won the argument and took the good route! Most the time my lazier side wins! haha
sabriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:58 PM   #5  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I used to try to get myself there by telling myself I'd do something really gentle, then as time went by I'd arrive and realise I felt up for something a bit more energetic than the relaxed swim or sauna session I'd promised myself, but doing it that way round helped me win the mental struggle. I love working out in the morning, it really gets my day off on the right foot and gives me an idea of whether I can afford to indulge myself a little if I've had a really good session. I also find it's harder to argue with myself at 6am and it's just become routine to get out of bed and pull the tracksuit on.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:01 PM   #6  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

that elliptical is a doozy, isn't it? it took me a while to work up to 20 minutes, then my leg muscles started cramping and I'm back to 10 and working my way up. I do the treadmill too.

Right now I go 3 times a week. Yeah, I like the early morning best too, but lately I've been going a little later and the afternoon, it's not always so easy to get myself out of bed.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I too love the early morning workouts. I think it truly does set the tone for the rest of the day. Now if only I can drag my tired butt out of bed in the morning to get some in, I'll be doing good.

on making it to the gym and winning out the argument. It will get easier once you've been in the groove of going.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:03 PM   #8  
Never surrender

how'd the gym go?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:28 PM   #9  
Jennifer

Congrats on joining/going to the gym! I count my membership as probably *THE* thing that made weight loss possible this time around. Of course, calories in are usually the deciding factor in whether I lose over a week, but regular exercise is the thing that has kept me going each day. I too find that if I go in the morning, my eating tends to be better throughout the day, and I have so much more energy. Plus, I have to admit that I just find exercise -- especially weightlifting -- darned FUN now most days (of course I still have an occasional off day when it's exhausting just to do a few minutes).

Keep it up on the elliptical! The first day I ever tried it I could do only 6 minutes, but I worked my way up to an hour. It's by far my favorite machine & it's easy to vary your workout by playing with the resistance and speed.

Congrats again!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:05 PM   #10  
Big Ol' loser

It may seem like an excuse but I promise its not!

I am normally off work on tues and this tues I changed my schedule so my day off is on friday. Well on tues they have a yoga and pilates class that I am going to take but since i have to work today instead, I just took today off. I am going to goto the gym the rest of the week exclude saturday. But I figured next week will be a full week of my planned schedule. I am only planning on doing cardio for the first few weeks plus the yoga/pilates class once a week.
goalnorolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:35 PM   #11  
Never surrender

I love the resistance machines.

Let us know how you like the cardio and the pilates.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:05 PM   #12  
Old Cackler

it is SOOO hard to get there sometimes. i've decided that i'm allowed to complain, moan, whine OUT LOUD to those sweet young folks at the gym reception desk. and they're really so nice and kind - they just tell me it'll all be ok, and they smile a lot.

and all of us involved in this B-fest know that once i start doing my abs, i'm fine.

so, it literally goes like this: i drive down there complaining to myself that i don't want to be there, i don't want to do this. and i park the car, and walk in the door and tell them how much i DON'T want to be there, and then walk up to the locker room to change, complaining to anyone who's around, and then change, and start working out.

i figure it doesn't really matter what i SAY, but it DOES matter what i DO. so i literally let the words come out, and ignore them.

bizarre, i know. but it works for me!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:19 PM   #13  
Jennifer

I'm with ya, Jiffy. And i can honestly say that I've never actually regretted *going* to the gym, while I've regretted *not* going many times. I repeat this to myself over and over on those cold mornings when I don't feel like walking there!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote