Old 11-14-2005, 10:04 AM   #1  
Jennifer

Default I've Missed You Guys!

For the past month since we've moved, I've had no high-speed Internet. I was waiting for DSL but they kept pushing my activation date back until I threw up my hands and got cable (took only two days for them to set up the cable!). Let me tell you, I wonder how anyone ever used dial-up! I've been lurking a little bit but just haven't had the time or patience with dial-up to post.

Our new place in Queens is at least double the size of our former tiny Manhattan apartment, and it's flooded with light, so hubby and I have REALLY been enjoying living here and decorating the space (I spent much of last week painting the dining room all by myself!)

Things have been going pretty well with me. I suffered through a two-month plateau where I basically lost no weight at all (so discouraging!), but things appear to be moving again. I'm eager to get to my initial goal, but I suspect I will want to go lower. I'm much less impatient than I used to be; I am relatively comfortable at my current weight and know I will get there eventually. The plateau also helped me build a bit of confidence about maintenance, a concept that I'm still coming to terms with. I am learning to accept that this (reduced calories, going to the gym) is how I am going to live the rest of my life. I am terrified of gaining the weight back, but I feel a little bit more sure of myself.

From what I've seen around the forum, seems like people have been feeling a bit discouraged of late. I honestly feel the season has something to do with it... these last few warm-ish days before winter really sets in are always difficult for me (mostly because I know what's coming!). I hope things start looking up for people really soon.

Howie and Kimberley, good luck with the photo shoot today!

Hope you all are well.
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Jennifer -- So good to see an encouraging post -- especially around plateaus and maintenance issues. Welcome back!!

P.S. -- I agree with you about dial-up! I love our broadband connection!!!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:49 AM   #3  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Welcome back, Jennifer! Happy new home!

Your determination and enthusiasm has been missed around here. You're such an inspiration.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:08 PM   #4  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Hi, Jennifer! Welcome back. You look gorgeous.

I was just talking about still having dial up. I'm headed for DSL land though. It does drive me crazy to wait so long for pages to load.

Did you pick a new gym in Queens? I'm still going to the Y here in Park Slope. I got a good routine going then had to scale back due to bad muscle cramps in my right leg. So I'm building it up again. I'm working up to the idea of hiring a personal trainer for a few sessions too.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:45 PM   #5  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Yahhhh!!! Jennifer is back!!! I've missed you! You look so awesome. I'm glad that you have made peace with this whole process. It's good to hear that it can be done.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:08 PM   #6  

GIRL, just LOOK at them collarbones!

I still have dialup at home ... I just can't justify paying for DSL or cable. I can't justify paying for cable TV, either. So, there ARE those of us who suffer through with 56kbs still and live to tell the tale. heh heh
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:22 PM   #7  
Jennifer

Thanks for the kind words, you guys. Your support has meant so much to me!!!! I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If I can do this, ANYONE can. I'm no superwoman of willpower, believe me. It's mostly a matter of educating yourself on how to do it, getting moving, and STICKING WITH A PLAN even when losses aren't coming or you don't feel like it anymore. It can be soooo hard, but it's *possible* for anyone!

Dragonwoman, I did join a gym here in Long Island City. It's tiny and not very well-equipped, but it's cheap! I actually like it better in some ways because it's got fewer cloud-of-perfume-and-full-face-of-makeup-encased chicas who are really at the gym to pick up men. Ha! There are also fewer trainers running around correcting form, so I honestly feel freer to sling the iron around in ways I was too inhibited to do before. I think it's paying off, because I'm getting a lot stronger!

Sandi - thanks for your PM a few weeks ago. It hit me just when I needed it! You're the best!

Funniegrrl, I think the hard thing is going from a fast connection to a slow one. I had dialup for years and didn't know anything different, but man, once you've had it, anything slower is MOLASSES (luckily, my work picks up the tab for my internet, or I probably wouldn't have high speed either! ) And p.s. - I LOVE finally having collarbones!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:41 PM   #8  

Ya, I know ... I work at a univ so have ultimate broadband at work. There are definitely things I prefer to do here over doing at home because of that ... just glad I don't have to pay for it! heh heh
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

JENNIFER!!!! back. Glad to see you have settled in and are able to join us again. I'm glad to hear you also stuck with everything and you don't sound so discouraged and down like before.

I wanna see some pics of the new dining room you painted

P.S. Thanks again for the clothes. (I have one of the outfits on today). I even went out and bought me a pair of tall boots to go with the skirts.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:11 PM   #10  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I missed you! I thought you had forgotten about us! So nice to hear from you. We need pics of your new place!!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:12 PM   #11  
maintainer wannabe

hi jennifer! nice seeing you again. glad the move went well. i have no choice but dial up here so rarely post. also i'm just not a posty person lol.

maybe weightloss takes patience rather than will power? glad the plateau seems over. its hard to do everything right and not get that scale reward. then i think this for life so whats the hurry.

Catherine mom to 11
mabear's homepage
mabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:00 PM   #12  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

It's great to see you Jennifer!!!

Glad you're loving your new place and that your plateau appears to be over!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:28 PM   #13  
missaprylj

Missed you!!!! I'm glad you're back too! Congrats on the new place... and the collar bones!
Old 11-14-2005, 11:43 PM   #14  
missaprylj

Missed you!!!! I'm glad you're back too! Congrats on the new place... and the collar bones!
Old 11-15-2005, 12:40 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

WB Jennifer!! You've lost 107 pounds, my goodness you rock! So on that topic of anyone can do it... can anyone do it without a gym pass? Anyone being me, lol, the gym's around my place are a MIN of 50 bucks a month, and thats only if you sign up for 3 years! Just too expensive for this gal!

Is DSL/cable internet expensive in the USA? I have DSL here in Vancouver and pay 24.99/month. And your phone bill gets cheaper if you have all your services with them, like long distance and land line along with DSL.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote