Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-13-2005, 08:58 PM   #1  

Unhappy Need some serious help!

Hello everyone,

I need some support. I don't know where to start to get myself to start doing the right things so that I can become more healthy and start loosing some of this weight. I keep comming to this site and sorta looking around and then I get discouraged and go back to doing whatever it was that I was doing.
Did anyone have this problem? If you did could you give me some advice as to how to get started. I feel like I am such a disapointment to myself and that my life is just passing me by. I don't want to fill like this anymore.

Angelia
Angelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:28 PM   #2  

Is anyone out there? I keep thinking I am posting in the wrong places because I never get any replies to my posts..
Old 11-13-2005, 10:37 PM   #3  
hara hachi bu

Default Welcome to 3FC!

Do you have some sort of plan you're following? When I began reading these pages, I got interested in the Mediterranean diet. I started looking for recipes and menus, and began planning meals. For me, planning meals is really effective.

Finding a buddy would also be something that might be helpful.

Hang in there ... you'll find something that works! You can have what everyone else on here has, it's just a matter of making the right choices.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:41 PM   #4  

Thank you so much! I am trying to figure out what I should do. Right now at the moment I have limited my sugar and cut my portions in half. Counting calories has worked for me in the past it is just so hard to get started again on all this. I am finding it very hard to start.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:52 PM   #5  
hara hachi bu

Thumbs up

I know what you're saying - when it's not happening, it's just not happening. And that really stinks. I've been successful this time around (and still hesitant to say "successful" as it's only been a little over 15 pounds) because I had everything else in my life lined up: I was dealing with my relationships effectively and in a healthy manner, my house was free of junk food, I'd joined a group called TOPS where I'm accountable for my weight on a weekly basis. It wasn't one thing that got me going, it was lining up everything *else* in my life that made it work.

I'd find some groups that seem relevant to your goals (maybe Doin' It The Old Fashioned Way?) and start posting.

I felt that online support was great (and a bit addicting ), but I also benefitted from a weekly weigh-in. I couldn't afford Weight Watchers, so TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) has been an inexpensive way for me to go. If you're interested, I bet they have a chapter in your area. Their web site is http://www.tops.org/.

At the very least, keep posting and keep coming back!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:54 PM   #6  
banned

start w simple steps like fruit instead of junk, water, walking etc
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:54 PM   #7  

Thank you I am going to go check those out right after I hit the chat room. I really appreciate the help.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:11 PM   #8  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

We'd love to see you posting in the calorie counters forum! Have you tried setting up a FitDay account? It can be quite helpful in keeping you in line as far as calories consumed. It's a little annoying to set up at the beginning - but for the most part once you've been doing it a while it's really worth it.
Sounds like you have the will - you just need the way....we're here for ya!!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 11:17 PM   #9  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

I don't know how much weight you are trying to lose but if it is more than 100, there is the 100+ club. There is also the buddy thread where you can try and find someone to buddy up with you.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 11:18 PM   #10  

I will check that one out too.. Anything to help me I will try.
Thanks for the reply. I will try and find the calories consumed board..
Old 11-14-2005, 01:50 AM   #11  

hello angelia,just read your "gotta start somwhere" sounds so like me,im 336lbs and really need to lose some of it lol,finding it hard to start at all.
doonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:34 AM   #12  
Haley

I agree with chick_in_the_hat's fitday.com suggestion. It's a really good place to start and just put everything down you eat in there. Other people on the site (in calorie counters, most likely) will be able to help you determine how many calories a day you should be eating. Increase your water intake, try to drink 8 glasses of water a day, it really does help you feel more full and is good for you!

On the motivation part, it really does have to come within you. You have to realize that you want to lose the weight for yourself so you can be more healthy. I got to the point where I was tired of seeing the numbers move up on the scale and wanted to change my life for the best. I got up off my butt and started exercising and eating healthy, I'm on my way to my goal weight and it feels great!

There are TONS of groups around 3FC that are wonderful, look around and find some that interest you. I wish you lots of good luck, it is hard to lose weight, but it's so worth it!
haleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:18 AM   #13  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

First thing to understand is that this is going to take time. Depending on how much you want or need to lose.
And its going to take alot of devotion to getting more healthy.
You have to totally understand what food you should be eating. You need to learn whats in the food you eat. Not just what the company tells you but in the ingrediants.
You could start by. Weighing and taking measurements of yourself, getting all the unhealthy food out of your home. Having a good sensible dinner then hitting the grocery store to restock up on better foods. You have to also know that its going to take exersise in order to lose. No matter how good your eating if your not moving you not losing. This is something that can be done. When you want it bad enough and you keep focused it can happen. And also understand that small slip ups are not the end of your journey. It just means you need to be more careful and put yourself in check mode.
And a really good way to track whats going into your body is by keeping a journal. You dont have to keep one forever just long enough for you to see where your getting to many calories or not enough protein. And so you can make those changes.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:53 AM   #14  

I found it helpful to pick one specific "bad" habit to change. For me, portion size had gotten way out of control. My first new habit was weigh/measure everything. After some time, I could "eyeball" the right amount of cereal for breakfast, etc. I agree that finding a buddy at 3FC can help, so you know you have 1 person you can always check in with.

You are off to a great start!
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:53 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelia
Did anyone have this problem? If you did could you give me some advice as to how to get started. I feel like I am such a disapointment to myself and that my life is just passing me by. I don't want to fill like this anymore.
None of my grandparents lived to be 70 - I have a family history of cancer, heart disease, diabetes and alzheimer's. I was approaching 40 and 200 lbs, I knew I was setting myself up for long term health issues.

I started with the idea of eating for long term health. Whole foods, not processed. Blueberries for the brain, spinach for the eyes, tomato for anti-cancer, nuts for the heart, yogurt for digestion.

My trigger was a book called Super Foods RX: 14 Foods That Will Change Your Life. This book made the science of nutrition very accessible to me, it made sense. I decided to try to eat 10 different super foods every day and to try to do an aerobics tape every morning.

I found I was so busy trying to fit in all 10 super foods, I didn't have time for junk. I had to do a lot of menu planning and grocery shopping (buying tons of fresh produce). I only drank water/tea, I started feeling like I had so much more energy. The weight started coming off right away which was the motivation I needed to keep going. I didn't realize I was a bingey sugar junkie until I drastically cut down sugar (completely by accident). My tastes changed - I don't crave junk at all anymore.

I looked at the foods I currently ate (a lot of pasta, quesadillas, stir fries, curries) and made healthy substitutions I could live with for the rest of my life. I stick to: whole grains (brown rice, sweet potatoes, quinoa, oatmeal, whole wheat pasta/tortillas), no butter, less oil, lots of vegetables, protein at every meal. I eat almost exactly what I used to eat for dinner, just healthier versions. I made some serious changes for my health - no soda, no fast food, no packaged baked goods (ever). I severely limit alcohol, home made baked goods, full fat dairy products, candy. I don't miss any of these foods at all!!

The change in me was amazing, magical, miraculous - I'm still amazed to this day I did this. I have tried and failed so many times. I've done low fat, I've done all kinds of crazy diets, I could stick to them for 6 months or so, but I always ended up just gaining more weight. I don't know why this time was so successful - I think it's because I started planning for long term success from the beginning. I didn't think "I want to be this weight and then I'll just stop and go back to eating all the foods I like." I thought "what can I eat that I like that I can keep eating forever."

I've been maintaining my weight since March, maintenance is JUST LIKE losing weight, except I allow myself more calories a day. All the shopping, planning, food journaling, counting calories, exercise - exactly the same. I decided when I started to do this LONG TERM. All the times I've lost weight and gained it back - what I learned was losing weight is easy, keeping weight off is the real work.

So, if you're looking for motivation - look to your health. It is the best thing I've ever done for myself. The old depressed, no energy, drowsing off in the afternoons at work person is gone. I am this new, energetic person.

Pictures!

http://gloriana.myphotoalbum.com/vie...umName=album02

Last edited by Glory87; 11-14-2005 at 08:09 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote